Sign in to follow this  
MaSon

Download Help

I am trying to download some specific files from the SFP1/WOV section. The files and links are:

WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - Part 2: http://combatace.com...ck-gold-part-2/

WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - Part 3: http://combatace.com...ck-gold-part-3/

WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - Apr 2011 Update: http://combatace.com...pr-2011-update/

WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - VPAF Add-on: http://combatace.com...ld-vpaf-add-on/

I have already downloaded the first part of this expansion without problem and I also downloader several other files over the last couple of weeks. However when I tried to get the files above I kept noticing that the download would start and proceed a little before stopping completely. This was with both the regular server and the mirror. I then tried a download manager and it didn't work either, telling me that the files could not be downloaded. I then started researching the forums for help and discovered some info about not using download managers and disabling all browser add-ons, so I tried that. Still no luck and still getting the same behavior upon attempting a download. I am running Windows 7 64 bit and IE 9 over a dsl connection.

I do not know what I am doing wrong but for several days now I have tried to download these files after waiting the required 24 hours only to have the downlads fail. I hope I have provided enough info for a suggestion but please let me know if I haven't. Thanks in advance for any help...

I just tested everyone of those links and they are all working. Get Firefox for a browser. IE9 is more than likely the problem. It blows.....

I will try that this morning. Thank you...

Okay, I downloaded Firefox and installed it. I opened the Combat Ace downloads section and tried to get the files. Firefox managed to download one 19.1 meg file but all the others did the same thing as before. They started and trucked along nicely for awhile before stopping. Here is the error the Firefox browser gave me:

WOV_AG-XP_Apr11.7z.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

Firefox then listed the download as failed with no option to restart it. In most cases the files managed to get anywhere from 10 to 30 megs of the file downloaded before it hung up. Two of these files are over 100 megs. Is it possible that there is a limit on the file size I can download or am I way off base?

Thanks again for the help...

There is a download limit yes but I think it is over 100 MB. So you should be able to at least get one of those files no problem. The only other thing I can think is that your ISP is capping you.

According to my ISP there is no limit on downloads and the only way I know to check is to download a large file which I did. I downloaded a video that was 540 megs without problem.

Okay so today I tried this... I opened Firefox and tried to download WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - Part 2: http://combatace.com...ck-gold-part-2/

This file is 126.8 megs in size. I was trying to download only one file at a time. The regular download link started and was downloading at 500K per second. When the file reached 20.4 megs it stopped. Clicking on pause and restart gave me the same error previously noted. I then tried again and the file made it to 36 megs before stopping.

I then tried the file WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - Apr 2011 Update: http://combatace.com...pr-2011-update/

This file was 100.5 megs in size and the download behaved the same way as above. The file made it to 41 megs before stopping. I had planned to try again with a different file but I got the page saying I've exceeded my downloads 24 hours... after only three attempts... Grrr!

At this point I don't know what else to do and I have tow wait another 24 hours to even try anything else. I've disabled add-ons and I am not using an accellerator. I downloaded and installed a new browser to no effect. I disabled all anti-virus when I tried to download. Still the same problem...

My friend, you have reached the limit of my knowledge. I am at an complete loss on what to do. However Im curious as to the cause.

http://combatace.com/index.php?app=subscriptions

You see the $6.95 subscription? Now I am not saying this to get your money, I want to see if there is a problem just your current status as a new member. Or a larger one that I'm going to have to get better help on. I am susepcting that if you get a $6.95 subscription there problem will still be there.

It's just a thought and I once again I am not trying to get your money. Im just out of ideas.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the suggestion about paying for a subscription but I don't see how that would affect the problem I am having. While I have no problem supporting the site, and in fact would be happy to do so, I am hesitant to do that until I am sure I can actually get the files I am interested in. That being said, I did some more experimenting this afternoon.

I disabled everything with McAfee including all virus scanning and my firewall. I disabled every plug-in and add-on in Firefox and tried to download the following file via the download mirror:

Vietnam 1984 1.1: http://combatace.com/files/download/1975-vietnam-1984-11/page__mirror__1

It ran at an average of 150k until it hit 194 megs then stopped. The file was 215 megs in size. I then tried some of the files previously mentioned via the regular download links and they ran at 600k but all stopped as before. What is so aggravating is that I downloaded numerous files from the site up until a week ago and had no problems. I can't remember what the biggest successfully downloaded file was but I think it was perhaps 20 or 30 megs. Maybe the larges files of these campaigns are the problem, I don't know... Also, it seemed that before I could download 8 or so files per day but now I am only getting 3-5 file attempts before I get the exceeded download limit for the day. This makes me think that a download manager is still running but I didn't see a manager listed in the Firefox add-on page. Is there something else I can check to make sure I am not having a problem from a download manager?

Do you know if any of these files are available on any other websites so that I can check and see if they work from a different server?

No all those files are here. You are the only one to report this. So I have to assume that there is something on your end. Have you tried another computer?

Well as of today I am paid subscriber...

I tried this file first:

WOV Air & Ground War Expansion Pack Gold - Part 3

I used the regular download link and was using Firefox as before. The add-ons were enabled as was my anti-virus software and guess what...

It downloaded all 139 megs without a problem.

Not getting too excited I then tried to download another of the previously attempted files and it failed just as before. Several attempts later and it appears I'm getting the same errors as before...

I no longer think that my problem is with your site or files as I am getting the same frozen downloads with other sites and files now. I have no idea what has happened or how, but this is turning into a major aggravation. I have now completely uninstalled the bloated McAfee internet security that was put onto me by my ISP (At&t), and have replaced with Avira and Comodo for antivirus and firewall respectively. After much configuring and tweaking I am still getting random freezes on downloads as small as 15mb. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't I can't see any rhyme or reason to it...

It has to be a recent change as this problem just recently started. Looking back in my windows updates the only thing I see is the standard windows updates and IE9 security updates.

Well I hope you get it figured out. Let us know how you do.

It turned out to be a virus. All is working now...

Glad you got it fixed.

It turned out to be a virus. All is working now...

Hi, I am facing the same issue, but I couldn't find any single virus with different scanners.

Would you be so kind to help me out?

Hi, I am facing the same issue, but I couldn't find any single virus with different scanners.

Would you be so kind to help me out?

I've been a member for a while now and I've had this issue since 3 weeks into my first paid sub month - and searched at the time for answers (as it's the only site it's ever happened on) but only found people being told it was a client side problem - so I never bought another sub until a couple of days ago, accepting this problem will occur, as it has to me twice this morning, but it's still very frustrating. Especially when you have 200mb of a 250mb file downloaded (with a 2.5meg connection) and you get this:

post-63583-0-30551200-1338279105.jpg

Edited by JDUK

Are any of you using a download excelerator? Also Try Chrome for a browser to download stuff. I have heard nothing but good things when it comes using it download from here. I checked all the permissions etc and everything is normal for users. Nothing has changed. Try Chrome and let me know.