Sign in to follow this  
theultimat

Home-Made Rudder Bar

Hello there, everyone.

As some of you may know, I have been flying on 'Auto-Rudder' up until now, as I have had no pedals or twist function on my joystick. I decided to fix this, as I have gotten fed up with having no power over my rudder. Therefore, I made this. It's made up of spare pieces of wood and chipboard I found around the house, and an old joystick I bought of £4 in a charity shop where I live. I think it works pretty well - the only issue I have is that I need to invert the axis to make it turn the correct way. I know I could solve this by turning the actual joystick around by 180 degrees, but I was wondering if I could do it on the computer in OFF. Here's a picture of it:

gallery_66678_643_27856.jpg

Ulti, I tried something very similar with an old Logitech Wingman, before I invested in my Saitek Pro Flight pedals. Didn't work too badly either. And yes, you can go into your JS profiler and invert the functions. Good luck, and enjoy your new rudder control, it totally changes how you fly these old kites as they love their rudder input.

Cheers!

Lou

I can't decide if that is a brilliant design or a horrible Frakenstein monster of a rudder bar!

But hey, if it works, it works, so go for it!

Excellent! Done in the best tradition and philosophy of the "ghetto mod".

plug_nickel

I also applaud the efforts of those who cobble, being one who does the same as evidenced by the throttle modification I came up with some time back.

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_1.jpg

It's still working great too.

Uncleal, the set-up Ulti posted a pic of looks as if it will give left and right rudder inputs as he has the pedal bar mounted on a central hinge point. Pushing forward on the right side of the bar causes the arm to swing to the left which should twist the stick to the right in the process; pusing forward on the left side of the bar should yield similar results in the opposite direction. He will likely need to narrow the band on the twist calibration so he won't need as much pedal bar movement to affect the full twist action provided by the stick. None-the-less, it might work pretty well with a bit of fiddling.

I agree that there are numerous issues to overcome with this one, Uncleal. And, I will point out again that I tried something similar myself which did work OK, however in the end I invested in the Saitek Pro Flight pedals. However, no matter how it's done, a set of rudder pedals will make OFF into a whole new experience and change the sim nearly as much as TrackIR does.

Give the guy a break, some people just gotsta invent.

Beard

Oh, I am very happy for him and equally impressed, seeing that I have absolutely no mechanical aptitude whatsoever!

Thanks guys. And it's not that I'm broke, it's just that I prefer to make things myself rather than have to go out and buy one. Sure, it may not look great, but it works well enough for me.

Thanks guys. And it's not that I'm broke, it's just that I prefer to make things myself rather than have to go out and buy one. Sure, it may not look great, but it works well enough for me.

:good:

I can't decide if that is a brilliant design or a horrible Frakenstein monster of a rudder bar!

But hey, if it works, it works, so go for it!

Next time you're playing OFF, take a look at the in-game rudder bars. This rickety piece of crap wood fits right in :D :D

Edited by phantom67

Fits right in with the spirit of the times!

Any room for some gum and bailing wire, Matt?

I also applaud the efforts of those who cobble, being one who does the same as evidenced by the throttle modification I came up with some time back.

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_1.jpg

It's still working great too.

If I hadn't gotten a G940 from the kids for Christmas I would have tried to copy this.