Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Intel SSD Drive setup advice

I just bought myself a shiny new Intel X25-M 80GB SATA drive. I know the 160GB is faster but hey, it's the best I could do at the moment. I plan on using it purely as a game drive and OFF is going to be installed on it. Is there a "best configuration" that I should use for optimum performance?

Hellshade

Heck of a lot of reading for SSD to get the best and each type is different with different recommendations. I have some of the OCZ Vertex and Vertex II and each of those is different. I don't have any links for the Intel stuff but have a good read up is the best thing.

There are general tips like don't defrag it etc as SSDs work differently of course. The good thing is Windows 7 fully patched up is pretty aware of them now so less need for some of the tools.

Will do. Thanks. Do you know by chance if I will have to do a fresh install of OFF:BH&H and HitR or can I just copy the directories directly over from my old hard drive? I'm guessing it probably requires a full re-install to get all the pointers correct but if I can save myself the trouble of re-configuring everything, that would be nice too.

Hellshade

You can copy everything if you make the new drive the same letter as the old (have to change the old drive's letter first and make sure you do not need anything on there) and all the paths are then the same etc. Otherwise best to install so the registry etc i correct.

248 MB/s average read rate sound about right? My Velociraptor 10k RPM drive only pushes around 123 MB/s read rate and my standard 7.2k RPM drive runs between 78 MB/s and 112 MB/s average.

It's funny. When starting up a QC in OFF I'm already in the plane flying when it plays the "start engine" file. Seem quick to me!

Hellshade

Nice one lol, sounds about right Hellshade.