Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Lovely way to spend an evening

Just had a short three hour fishing trip this evening...and caught this rather Spiffing Carp...on a floating Dog Biscuit!...thanks to Max, my faithful four legged friend...for letting me pinch some of his dinner!

First I read that the fish was floating on a dog biscuit. That would have been a truly Pythonesque situation. :grin:

Nice catch. :drinks:

First I read that the fish was floating on a dog biscuit. That would have been a truly Pythonesque situation. :grin:

Nice catch. :drinks:

:rofl: :rofl: now THAT woulda been something!

I don't know if the carp saw it the same way, Widow - it is so perfectly made...

Will you eat the feller, or did you throw him back in?

Nice sized fish WM, and carp can be fun to catch. If you kept it I'd recommend smoking it...providing you can keep it lit of course. :grin:

Smoking a carp - how barmy is that?

All kidding aside Olham, smoked carp is delicious.

Hmmm - Never tried that, but I believe you.

At the north sea coast, where I come from, we know smoked makerels, and they taste good

when you eat them right after the proceedure.

Then there are the smoked flank stripes of the spiny dogfish or mud shark,

which we call "Schillerlocken" (Schiller's ringlets - named after poet Friedrich Schiller's hair);

also very good. And smoked eels, which are good, when they are not too old.

But carp?

I had some good Chinese carp in a dark brown spicy sauce - that was delicious.

Smoked - never seen yet.

We have carp here in the U.S.ofA. thanks to the early immigrant Germans wanting them for their tables. I'm not sure what it was they used for chairs, hmmm...

Caught a 25 pound Pacific Sockeye when I was a younger person while out fishing with a friend and his father, it was the biggest fish I've caught. But it was out on the ocean and it was a bit choppy. I don't remember much of the remainder of the trip as I spent the rest of it over the side having a talk with Neptune. Nice catch, I've had Carp and I agree with Lou, it's pretty good smoked.

Absolutely not going to eat him...He swam happily away!

If anyone was seen/caught eating Carp here in the UK...they would very likely be lynched!...they are our most esteemed species! (I know the American's don't like them) but they are spoiled for choice!....here in the UK...the only freshwater fish that you are allowed to catch and eat are Trout.

I could'nt possibly Kill and Eat such a lovely looking creature :drinks:

You guys just wouldn't believe how loved they are here...they have almost 'religous status' amongst British Anglers...and there is a multi-million pound industry grown up here, just perfecting Carp fishing techmiques and tackle.

Have a quick look at UK Carp Fishing tackle on the net....you American chaps will be gobsmacked!...it's almost Space age!.... We are World Leaders in the subject :lol:

Many of the Bigger Carp are known by name!...there was even a news item when a particularly well known fish died!...they have a memorial service at the Lake every year!!!....it's mad! :lol:

Eastern European's who come here, and have tried to catch and Eat Carp, have met with Violence on Occasion....one chap in the news a while ago, was staked out and left spreadeagled on the Bank for 24 hours!!....not a good idea to f*ck with our Carp here! :good:

That of course, is 'people' justice!...the Law actually treats it as 'theft'...So, you could well find yourself carted off to Prison (if the Carp Anglers don't get to you first!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Very nice catch there WM! :drinks:

But what I'm more interested in, is why no one is supprised that WM is 'slow hand' himself....or is this old news?

Brothers maybe?

Edited by Macklroy

haha...that has been pointed out to me in the past...but sadly, one only has to hear me sing in the bath...or check my Bank Statements, to realise...there is no connection! :rofl:

I've been told I look like George Clooney, from the back, walking away, at about 25 yards or more distance, around dusk, and after those saying it have had several beers or mixed drinks.

haha...that has been pointed out to me in the past...but sadly, one only has to hear me sing in the bath...or check my Bank Statements, to realise...there is no connection! :rofl:

...apart from the "slowhandness", perhaps? An angler should have a quiet, patient, slow way, I guess?

I was sometimes compared to James Steward.

Same clunky approach to many things, and often the same sheepish expression. :rofl:

Widow, I won't tell you what the DNR, department of natural resources, does to carp in my state. I know you would have a proper crying jag over it. Myself, I have a carp pond in my yard. Some of the brutes are large now as I have had some of them nearly 20 years. They get my loving care.

When I was in my prime I had it said I looked like Errol Flynn.

Last time anybody bothered to look at me they said I looked like Fraiser Crane. Kelsey Grammer indeed... that was years ago.. well the Lord will still have me... right?

I do think Olham meant to say Jimmy Stewart?

Edited by Rickitycrate

Absolutely not going to eat him...He swam happily away!

If anyone was seen/caught eating Carp here in the UK...they would very likely be lynched!...they are our most esteemed species! (I know the American's don't like them) but they are spoiled for choice!....here in the UK...the only freshwater fish that you are allowed to catch and eat are Trout.

I could'nt possibly Kill and Eat such a lovely looking creature :drinks:

You guys just wouldn't believe how loved they are here...they have almost 'religous status' amongst British Anglers...and there is a multi-million pound industry grown up here, just perfecting Carp fishing techmiques and tackle.

Have a quick look at UK Carp Fishing tackle on the net....you American chaps will be gobsmacked!...it's almost Space age!.... We are World Leaders in the subject :lol:

Many of the Bigger Carp are known by name!...there was even a news item when a particularly well known fish died!...they have a memorial service at the Lake every year!!!....it's mad! :lol:

Eastern European's who come here, and have tried to catch and Eat Carp, have met with Violence on Occasion....one chap in the news a while ago, was staked out and left spreadeagled on the Bank for 24 hours!!....not a good idea to f*ck with our Carp here! :good:

That of course, is 'people' justice!...the Law actually treats it as 'theft'...So, you could well find yourself carted off to Prison (if the Carp Anglers don't get to you first!)

Wow, I'm not a fisher and didn't know any of that. If I'd somehow caught a fish like that I'm sorry to confess I'd have munched it for breakfast and been none the wiser about commiting any sacrilege.

I often get trout when walking the dogs past fishermen. They have a two catch quota, and if I come along they can squeeze in another. Most will try not to take fish, but sometimes they bleed taking the hook out so they'll kill them if they're injured rather than putting an injured fish back. I'm happy with the occasional trout, but don't understand why people fish when they don't like the taste. It's not the sport I don't understand, it's not liking a delicious fish from nature's larder. Fried with butter and lemon juice, best breakfast in the world and very good for you too. MMmmm, MMmmm, my precious,..

Wow, I'm not a fisher and didn't know any of that. If I'd somehow caught a fish like that I'm sorry to confess I'd have munched it for breakfast and been none the wiser about commiting any sacrilege.

I often get trout when walking the dogs past fishermen. They have a two catch quota, and if I come along they can squeeze in another. Most will try not to take fish, but sometimes they bleed taking the hook out so they'll kill them if they're injured rather than putting an injured fish back. I'm happy with the occasional trout, but don't understand why people fish when they don't like the taste. It's not the sport I don't understand, it's not liking a delicious fish from nature's larder. Fried with butter and lemon juice, best breakfast in the world and very good for you too. MMmmm, MMmmm, my precious,..

haha

Well, apart from only really liking Tinned Tuna (very unimaginative I'm afraid)...I just don't like eating fish...not because of any 'protest' against it...just don't like the taste of fish!..lol

Angling is the biggest participant sport in the UK...with almost 4 million of us venturing forth at 3:00am...to sit all day drowning Worms...and I completely understand why non-anglers think we are completely insane! (Indeed, I wonder it at times)

Approx 3 million of us pay a minimum of £27 per year for a rod licence...which the Environment Agency spends on fighting Bank Erosion, pollution and stocking etc....and the Anti brigade who try to get fishing banned, happily ignore this fact sadly....in reality, all the lovely Ponds, Lakes and Rivers you come across in the UK..are that way, purely due to Anglers paying for it.

So, I guess I don't fish for food...so why do I do it?

Well...a combination of many factors....Not least, the solitude...all my worries seem to get absorbed into those rippling waters....if that rod tip trembles...or that float dips....it could be 'The Big one'..... I just can't go more than two weekends without doing it!...it's just magical (for me at least) :drinks:

Some of my biggest adventures have been in the pursuit of fishing. My wife and I, when we were dating had a scary one whilst out on a lake fishing in a rowboat.

We had gone out on a fine late spring day that had promises of gentle breezes and fair skies, with her Father's car topper Jon-boat to one of the nearby larger lakes. We had every thing we needed for a mellow sunny day on the lake. 45 minutes into the trip out, after launching, while we were a fair ways from shore, a low line of clouds developed to our West over the ocean and the wind picked up, blowing from the direction of our boat landing.

I hadn't considered what a small boat was like to row against a hard wind until the front hit and with it a soaking cold rain mixed with sleet. And we were in a pair of light, non rainproof jackets. We got blown into a thicket of willows along one side of the lake while struggling against the 45 mph squall. I ended up abandoning the oars and we literally pulled and poled our selves along the verge of trees by their branches and old pilings while 2 foot swells pounded our boat. I had to empty the tackle box and use it to bail the boat. We finally made a bank we could wait the storm out from, but with little shelter. The storm passed in a couple hours and we exhaustedly rowed the Jon-boat back to the launch and the car.

My future Father-in-Law looked a little skeptically at us as we drove in, both looking like the survivors of the Titanic, and asked, 'Well how did the fishing trip go?" Knowing full well what we had been through as in town the storm had been pretty strong.

Some of my biggest adventures have been in the pursuit of fishing. My wife and I, when we were dating had a scary one whilst out on a lake fishing in a rowboat.

We had gone out on a fine late spring day that had promises of gentle breezes and fair skies, with her Father's car topper Jon-boat to one of the nearby larger lakes. We had every thing we needed for a mellow sunny day on the lake. 45 minutes into the trip out, after launching, while we were a fair ways from shore, a low line of clouds developed to our West over the ocean and the wind picked up, blowing from the direction of our boat landing.

I hadn't considered what a small boat was like to row against a hard wind until the front hit and with it a soaking cold rain mixed with sleet. And we were in a pair of light, non rainproof jackets. We got blown into a thicket of willows along one side of the lake while struggling against the 45 mph squall. I ended up abandoning the oars and we literally pulled and poled our selves along the verge of trees by their branches and old pilings while 2 foot swells pounded our boat. I had to empty the tackle box and use it to bail the boat. We finally made a bank we could wait the storm out from, but with little shelter. The storm passed in a couple hours and we exhaustedly rowed the Jon-boat back to the launch and the car.

My future Father-in-Law looked a little skeptically at us as we drove in, both looking like the survivors of the Titanic, and asked, 'Well how did the fishing trip go?" Knowing full well what we had been through as in town the storm had been pretty strong.

That woulda scared me sh*tless Lewie! :heat: