Sign in to follow this  
macelena

Happy Independence Day US

Well, just for this year, i won´t post that ID4 image of the White House being blown off. I found this on facebook, so i guess you yankees (and southern gentlemen) would like to read it. It was wrote by a US Army Artillery Sargeant while deployed in Iraq, before July 4th, 2005

In several days, Americans all over the globe will celebrate the birth of their nation, a nation forged in war, yet dedicated to the highest ideals that man has ever aspired to, that all men are created equal. I am a soldier of this unique nation, and I have been asked why I serve. I have a reason, yet not one that would immediately come to most people’s thoughts.

It is not out of blind faith. I know that my country has done many terrible things in its history, things which can be held up as a record of shame equal to many other nations. Every cause that men have fought for, right or wrong, has been wrapped in a flag, leading honorable men astray.

It is not out of obligation for the blood that other soldiers have shed. Every country, good or evil, has had it share of good and evil soldiers. They are, after all, only men, and men are created equal.

It is not out of religious fervor, because I serve alongside Muslim and Jew, Christian and Atheist, Buddhist and Agnostic. I know not what religion the man or woman who stands next to me professes, nor does it matter.

It is not out of membership of any one race. I am white, my fellow soldiers black, yellow, red, Russian, Irish, Nigerian, Chinese, Indian. We see only one color, the color of our uniform.

Why I serve is for one reason. I have sworn to uphold a document, one that was unique in the world when it was created, and one for which my fellow soldiers serve and die for. The Constitution speaks words that say, All men are created equal. I serve for this, and nothing more. I will defend this document, and the ideals that are written in it, to the death, through what ever misery and pain and separation from loved ones may be required.

It is often said that our nation has strayed far from this ideal, if indeed it ever really followed it. I understand and acknowledge this. There is nothing so grey as the causes for a nation to go to war. Yet I still believe, that in the end, that when history judges my country, it will be said of us that the best of humanity was reached for.

The cynical among you may call me an idealist; but if I am, then I am in fair company. The Founding Fathers of the United States of America were idealists, and the country they built has stood as a light and inspiration for millions over the centuries; to call me such is an honor I will gladly accept, while bearing any burden to keep it so.

Edited by macelena
  • Like 1

Happy Independence Day to all the Americans

and those who serve on the front lines :good:

Yep, happy 4th guys!

Watch out with the fireworks and with alcohol, and all will be fine! Enjoy!

Muesli

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

Derk

Happy 4th my American brothers and sisters.

Happy birthday America.

Happy 4th, ladies and gentlemen!

THE GOOD OLE U.S. OF A!!!!! Often imitated but never duplicated! Kicking ass and taking names since 1776!!!! Happy Birthday America!!!!!

Happy Birthday US of A!!!! Has it been 235 years, already? Seems like the 200th was just yesterday...:grin:

Edited by Fubar512

Happy Independence Day brothers and sisters. And thank you all for the kind words.

Thank you all who serve to keep our nation safe and strong.

Happy Independence Day US of A!:drinks:

Przemek

Hey all, I hope everyone has a safe and great 4th of July.

This goes out to all the men and woman serving and who have served in a military uniform and fought for our country. Your sacrifice is the reason why our country is so great, thank you for your service.

Tango,

Heat2151

US Navy Retired, 2008