Sign in to follow this  
phantom67

Campaign says I died even though I landed just fine?

So, long story short. I'm flying the Rolling Thunder Campaign doing a Fighter Sweep over Hanoi, shot down 3 MiG-17s, got some target fixation on a 4th one and failed to notice one on my 6 lining up a shot, and, well, he hit me and it just about took off the tail of my F4-B and the plane started wobbling badly. I found that if I turned up the throttle up a few notches, it stabilized, and I managed to drag my severely damaged bird all the way down South to a friendly airfield. My approach was really bloody dodgy due to the wobbling, but I managed to put her down alright, stopped on the run-way, smoke coming out of the plane and everything, it was really bashed up, but it was okay. I turned the engine off and hit Escape to end the mission and it says 'Ens <my last name> has been killed. The campaign is over. WTF? Sure, I can Refly, but I was playing a DiD campaign and this messes up my stats :(

Any files I can edit for my pilot to revert the campaign somehow? Or just to get rid of the one time that I supposedly got 'shot down' from my record?

Cheers guys

Hi! Maybe this:

-Your shoe laces got tied up in the stairs and you broke your neck?

-They gave you the 100 Mission beer shower and you drowned?

-Your Wizzo beat you to a pulp for flying till he puked?

-You got heart failure after seeing the bill of the repairs?

-You were hit by shrapnel without noticing and bleed dry real slowly?

Can't think of anything else. Bug-bug-bug-bug?

Never bother landing a plane with large parts shot off and grey smoke trail. It's considered destroyed by the game, and even AI may ignore you (they will change their mind if you shoot them). Get to the friendly territory and eject.

Never bother landing a plane with large parts shot off and grey smoke trail. It's considered destroyed by the game, and even AI may ignore you (they will change their mind if you shoot them). Get to the friendly territory and eject.

Thanks, will do this next time.

had something similar happen in an A-10 mission tho i shot down one of the migs dogging me home with half my tail gone. red crown was talkin to me tho wingman was dead. sure enough landed and declared KIA! good idea on the ejecting tho, can always get another bird but not another you...

The game decided that you are wounded and the the wounds are so heavy that you died.

Simply reload the campaign and the the mission again. Works at my computer. But in record screen you still has a lost campaign. s**t happens.

nah he's doubly pissed cause it was a DiD campaign.

Edited by daddyairplanes

I think you died of sustained wounds as happened to me several times

Well, I don't know the exact cause but usually the AI pilots ejects with this kind of damage as the plane is considered destroyed. When happen is better to do as Gr.Viper said.

It just seemed a bit anti-climatic after I made it back to base alive only to have it say I died, and according to the Log, it happened as the MiG17 hit me. Here's what I flew with. I felt quite proud when I landed it :) The handling was completely shot, but when I had it going ~ Mach 1 it straightened out a bit (kinda like a rocket) and it was fairly stable at < 280 kts as well.

post-59629-0-48860100-1309828366.jpg

Edited by phantom67

Yup, vertical tail shot off means, you're in a "destroyed" plane, get home and eject.