Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Space shuttle

This is coming into service next month:

battlestar-galactica-wallpaper-5.jpg

Okay..we can dream - I think the next craft will be 2 steps back......

I have no idea, but I know it's at least 3-6 years away. I believe Lockheed is still working on a modified version of the Orion Spacecraft for possible use by 2016, but I'm not sure of the whole story. Stupid things like POLITICS! will probably make it another 10 years before the U.S. has any manned space vehicle of its own. One thing I hope though is that it is a winged vehicle. The Orion spacecraft in terms of capabilities seemed incredible 6 years ago when I first heard about it, but the conventional design of it (capsule, parachutes, etc.) was not appealing to many astronauts. Anyway I can't wait to find out!

Edited by warthog64

Here's some really nice pics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2012253/Atlantis-space-shuttle-launch-Spaceship-overcomes-shaky-launch-Nasa-shuttle-blast-space.html

It seems like not too long ago, i was at home watching the Enterprise make it's landing and now it'll be all over with Atlantis doing the same. If i'm at work i hope to be able to get to a TV so i can see it as well.

the russians haven't retired their van buren shuttle have they? if theirs is still in use, we shd keep ours as well.

the russians haven't retired their van buren shuttle have they? if theirs is still in use, we shd keep ours as well.

The USSR (as it was then), used their Buran shuttle to make only one unmanned test flight back in 1988. The program was cancelled soon after.

Here's a good link about it if you're interested.

http://www.russiansp....com/buran.html

Edited by warthog64

Here's some really nice pics

http://www.dailymail...last-space.html

It seems like not too long ago, i was at home watching the Enterprise make it's landing and now it'll be all over with Atlantis doing the same. If i'm at work i hope to be able to get to a TV so i can see it as well.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing the link

Buran never went operational, it flew to orbit once unmanned then the funding was cut. Then in 2002 the hangar it was being stored in collapsed destroying her.

Craig

edit: beaten to the punch while on another tab :P

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

Contracted flights on other people's spacecraft. Initially we will continue to pay Russia for supplies and manned access to the ISS.

In the future, it is intended to be contracted flights from industry.

We could eventually contract for flights from India and/or China.

We (US) will have no direct access to space. That's the plan in the near to mid term.

In the far term, there are pipe-dreams about going to Mars and the Asteroids. But there is no program to actually do that.

It's a damn shame. An American icon gone. I could say what I feel but I would have to ban myself.

Mars next!!

Imagine if Europe, America, Russia, China, India worked together. We would put people on mars in 10-20 years.

It would be a shame if the desire for manned deep space exploration died out. But then again we need some kind of breakthrough in engine technology to make it happen and it seems like its not happening anytime soon.

Mars next!!

Imagine if Europe, America, Russia, China, India worked together. We would put people on mars in 10-20 years.

It would be a shame if the desire for manned deep space exploration died out. But then again we need some kind of breakthrough in engine technology to make it happen and it seems like its not happening anytime soon.

Yeah I sure hope that one day we get humans to Mars. Werner Von Braun certainly made it seem possible, and I bet if he were still alive getting to Mars would come sooner than later.

It's a damn shame. An American icon gone. I could say what I feel but I would have to ban myself.

Amen ; )

Humanity's last truly reusable spacecraft... It makes me really sad to see her go, especially without a replacement. I still remember watching the shuttle launches growing up.

Just to put things in perspective...

NASA's total annual budget in 2011: $18.7 billion (*1)

Annual costs of air conditioning for US forces in the Middle East: $20.2 billion (*2)

ಠ_ಠ

Sources

*1 National Library of Congress, bill S.3729

*2 retired general Rachel Martin, former chief logistician in Iraq

Buran never went operational, it flew to orbit once unmanned then the funding was cut. Then in 2002 the hangar it was being stored in collapsed destroying her.

Craig

edit: beaten to the punch while on another tab :P

Wasn't that the second one? I thought Buran was left out exposed to the elements and was thought to be in a state of disrepair? Either way, it's a real shame that wasn't kept running too. It was larger and the Energia rocket could carry a larger payload. In conjunction with the NASA shuttles, it might have kept costs down, even though costs of the Space Program were relatively light to others.

Buran way to expensive. Thatswhy it was cancelled. Its in museum now. You can see it at Sinsheim in Germany. This museum had had hoped to get one of the Shuttles too, but the NASA wont bring her birds outside the USA.

For a future spacecraft i would like to see a modern version of the Dynasoar project from the 60th or the european Hermes from the 80th or the russian Kliper from the 90th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-20_Dyna-Soar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_%28spacecraft%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliper

Edited by Gepard

End of an era; definitely sad to see it go. We'll see what the future holds, but for now, let's just hope Atlantis delivers her crew home safe at the end of the mission.

Too bad we never could have Orion blam-blam :(

Watched the live feed from NASA with a class of thirteen year olds (I'm a science teacher), they had a lot of questions. The ones about the science of space flight were much easier to answer than the ones about the politics of space flight.

Colonization of mars and the moon would benefit all, esp. for employment and mineral extraction.

hey, mars and the moon are the new Wild Wild West. Would love to own real estate up there.

I am not working on Mars!

After playing Red Faction i must agree with you :cool: