Sign in to follow this  
quack74

For Stephen1918

Is the Anatra DS on you list of converted aircraft. Would be nice to be able to have another Russian (used) aircraft for early on.

Dont slow down either! We need your planes :grin:

Is the Anatra DS on you list of converted aircraft. Would be nice to be able to have another Russian (used) aircraft for early on.

Dont slow down either! We need your planes :grin:

The next one will probably be the Nieuport 10, since it was asked for. Then I'll need to slow down, I've made six planes (not counting the Albatros) since the beginning of May. I can't keep up this pace. But don't worry, I'll keep making planes, just not as fast. The skinners need to catch up anyway :grin: The Anatra is on my list, after the Nieuport.

Stephen

Very cool. The Nieuport10 is just as good. Thanks.

Sincere apologies to Quack for hijacking this post but I too, just this once, would like to humbly request an aircraft of Stephen1918,(or any modder willing to take on the task) though I appreciate he is subject to pressures of time and real life in the face of so many other requests for aircraft.

As a proud Aussie with American heritage, I would love to see the DH5 in First Eagles, mostly for the following reason.

During the Battle of Cambrai, three Irish Battalions were involved in the battle for the township of Moevres. One of their companies of the Royal Irish Fusiliers, was pinned by machine gun fire from a strongpoint south west of Bourlon Wood. They watched a pilot in the odd back-staggered DH5 dive on the strong point and after repeated low level attacks on the machine gun post and exchanges of gunfire, the DH5 plunged into the ground, crashing. The pilot's actions had relieved the company from being pinned down.

The courageous action of the pilot was not forgotten by the Irish, but in the rush of battle they were unable to identify the pilot. Two weeks later, the appreciative Irish paid for an announcement in The Times :

"To an unknown airmen, shot down on November 23rd, 1917, whilst attacking a German strongpoint south west of Bourlon Wood, in an effort to help out a company of Royal Irish Fusiliers when other help had failed."

The pilot was Alexander Griggs of 2 Squadron Australian Flying Corps, born in Meridian, Mississippi, U.S.A. One of the several Americans serving in the Australian Imperial Forces and Australian Flying Corps. Griggs had been on his second mission that day engaged in low level attacks on enemy trenches and strongposts in the area.

From what I understand Griggs, an engineer, was living and working in Australia when the war broke out and volunteered to serve with the AFC.

The DH5 is the only aircraft flown by the AFC in Europe not represented in FE.

Cheers Grinseed

(I am not related to the Griggs family.)

Edited by Grinseed

HAHA Stephen1918 has become Santa claus now :grin:

...As a proud Aussie with American heritage, I would love to see the DH5 in First Eagles, mostly for the following reason...

That's an inspiring story and the DH5 is an interesting looking plane. I will definitely put it on the list. I can't promise when (and if another modder wants to do it sooner, that would be OK too.) The FM for a plane with a reverse stagger to the wings might be a challenge.

(@Nix - HoHoHo.)

Stephen1918