Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

A Campaign Scramble video using HPWS Ultimate Damage Model

(I have absolutely no idea how this same message got posted twice. My apologies, as I cannot seem to delete the second post)

I've done a few scramble videos before but now, using HPWs Ultimate Damage Model (and Flight Model) mods, it's a whole different experience. Because you can't take for granted that damaged planes are effectively "out of the fight" even if they are still flying, you really have to check your 6 all the time. You can't depend on your wingmen to take down planes in one or two good solid passes. They might, but you can't depend on it. That means danger exists pretty much at all times from all directions. You have to make every shot count and you can't depend on the idea that because you are on an enemy aircraft's six, he'll be dead in short order. You might shoot him up nicely but not do enough damage to the engine or pilot (or fuel tank) that they are still very much in the fight and you are down quite a few rounds of ammo.

Here's a campaign video of a Scramble mission I did using HPWs new mod. I think the differences are pretty clear. By the way, when I stop shooting it's because I'm out of ammo. And the rockets? Well...I'll try anything to survive up there.

I hope you enjoy it. PS, there's no editing. It's from take off to landing to get the whole feel of the fight. If you haven't already downloaded it and given it a try, I heartily recommend it. It's a whole different war up there.

HPWS Campaign Scramble Mission (11:50) 1080HD

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

That was a Hell of a fight Hellshade! :salute:

It seems like you had to deal a world of hurt before you shot those e/a's down. Did you actually hit one of them with the rockets around 9:05? Wouldn't it be a nice feature to be able to land at your field, restock on ammo, and go back up into the fight?

Another excellent video HS and as Shiloh noted, quite the fight. Also Shiloh, I agree, it would be great if a flyer could land and reload and go back into the fight. Perhaps in P4, unless it really is all smoke and mirrors. :grin:

Another excellent video HS and as Shiloh noted, quite the fight. Also Shiloh, I agree, it would be great if a flyer could land and reload and go back into the fight. Perhaps in P4, unless it really is all smoke and mirrors. :grin:

I bet the missing ground crewman knows. Or...did know....

Hellshade

So many times I want to continue a mission or get back in the fight and often thought it would be great to find any friendly airfield and get some more ammo. Maybe you could pull up to the tents and remain there for a period of time then you would be restocked and ready to go. I don't know if fliers actually did that in WWI but I thought it would be great for this sim. :good:

Just last night my flight got jumped before a balloon busting mission and after my fight I had to turn for home because I was worried about my lack of ammunition and couldn't complete the mission I originally set out for.

Edited by Shiloh

Oh wow! Fantastic flying! I was actually worried when you about took out that Alb with your propeller a few minutes in! I havn't actually played yet, but that was some pretty inventive rocket usage. I counted 3 downed, but it was hard to tell at some spots. Are you flying a Noopie? (My best guess anyway) I have no idea what the stock game is like, but this mod looks fun. :)

Congrats on a successful mission btw! (One where you make it home.)

:drinks:

I've used rockets on alternative targets before, they're a bit of a crap shoot, but getting two DFW's with one salvo while climbing from underneath is pretty satisfying.

Excellent job, Hellshade, although I don't know if I can approve of the use of rockets with my "historical" damage mod! :wink:

I didn't have the sound turned on. What was your final tally? It's a little tougher up there with more flies buzzing around, isn't it?