Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Never seen that one before

Each time I visit the photo archives of "Wingnut Wings", I find something new.

It's the place, where you can see many of Greg VanWyngarden's amazing photo collection.

But there are also colour photographs from today; some showing details I had never known

before; and all that often in a brilliant quality.

Here are some I picked out. If you've never been there: why not have a look?

Here are the links:

Archive Photos

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/photogallery?categoryid=1

Colour Photos

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/photogallery?categoryid=2

From the "Colour Photograps":

an R.E.8 close-up; a Bristol Fighter's service hatch in the wing (in the British roundel);

and an LVG C.VI photo, which was colourised

From the "Archive Photos":

Carl Degelow's Pfalz D.IIIa, parked next to a village street - I found this picture

very athmospheric; the combination of a military craft and French or Belgian civilians

makes it so authentic, so close, and yet so distant in time.

Wingnut Wings is a fantastic source of information, I have visited their site many times. Thanks for sharing, Olham.

Olham, when I loaded the black and white it came up Pfalz D111's, and the it was obvious that the paint schemes where field modification because the proportions and stripes around the crosses were quite often wrong, like it was done by untrained maintenance personnel. I figured if anyone would see it, it had to be a sign guy.

Beard

The planes were delivered in factory finish at front units and Jasta markings, were all painted on field. :salute:

It's not easy to find such a thesaurus of so high quality pictures on line!

I knew about WnW site, but thanks anyway, Olham! :grin:

Yes, sure, BurningBeard, they painted around the crosses, or sometimes even painted them over,

and did them new on top of the new paint sheme. Not every Jasta had a signwrite to do it well.

The Lozenge was possibly invented to save some weight - all these overcoats of colour must have

weighed several additional kilogram.