Sign in to follow this  
don246

Will OFF run on W7 64BIT

Have read the FAQ regarding running OFF on Windows 7 but my question is will it run on Windows 7 64 BIT O/S.?

Why not? It is definitely running on my Win 7 (32bit).

I run OFF:BH&H with the HitR expansion on Windows 7 64 bit just fine sir. No worries.

Hellshade

I run it on two different Win 7 64 bit computers (one desktop and one laptop) with no problems.

I too support the Windows 7 64 bit. I have had no problems once I properly set up everything.

It seems that OFF runs even better on my Win 7 64bit than it used to run on my XP.

Should Windows have made a real development??? :grin:

I think Windows 7 truly is a real development. I don't miss XP at all, which is surprising, because I was very fond of it during all the many years I spent using it.

Have to agree with you Hasse Wind! :drinks:

Thanks for the replys guys, this is a new PC just built using W7 64BIT so apart from the BSOD loading Windows, I seem to have it stable now fingers crossed.

I see I have two folders one Programe files the other Programe files (X86)?

Do I just let CFS3 & OFF install in there default folders or is it best to make a folder say I name it games (outside Programe files folders) and install it to that ?.

I think it's usually recommended to have a completely separate folder for games. That's what I have, and OFF works without any problems from there.

Hi Don...certainly some older games (IL2 springs to mind) do not like being installed into the (X86) folder!...best to make a seperate one as HW suggests :drinks:

Thanks for the replys guys, this is a new PC just built using W7 64BIT so apart from the BSOD loading Windows, I seem to have it stable now fingers crossed.

I see I have two folders one Programe files the other Programe files (X86)?

Do I just let CFS3 & OFF install in there default folders or is it best to make a folder say I name it games (outside Programe files folders) and install it to that ?.

I've only recently changed from XP to Windows 7. When Windows 7 installs and despite you selecting a 64 bit install, it will create 2 Program folders - one Programs and the other Programs (x86). I believe one is for 64 bit and the other for 32 bit programs. I have my OFF installed onto the C drive and as I recall set to XP compatibilty and run as administrator. As to whether its running as 32 or 64 bit - I'm not sure but Windows 7 is a stable platform.

Edited by sandbagger

Hi Don,

It is mentioned at the top of the FAQ from the "What do I need" button

"Well firstly you need a PC computer, a joystick, a DVD Drive, Windows XP (32bit), or Vista 32 or 64 bit

Update: OFF works fine on Windows 7 (32bit or 64 bit) but see below under "Installation Settings and Graphics" for setup tips."

I'll add it elsewhere too but the answer to your question is a definite YES.

Many of the Dev team use Windows 7 64 now anyway (I have since before Phase 3).

Well I have had so many problems and spent so much time trying to get OFF BHAH to run, CFS3 runs fine patched to 3.1.

OFF BHAH loads ok go into craet a pilot then -

The error messages I get when trying to create a pilot -

"ERROR COPYING FRONTLINE OR MAPS TO CFS3 MAP PATH C:\GAMES\CFSWW1 OVER FLANDERS FIELDS\CAMPAIGN MONTH:4 CAMPAIGN YEAR 1917.COPY LCF TRY REINSTALING OFF".

I HAVE WINDOWS 7 64BIT BOTH CFS3 AND OFF INSTALLED TO A FOLDER C:\Games

I had OFF BHAH + HITR working ok on my XP machine unlike so many im not a great fan of Windows 7 perhaps I was so many years with XP that being a old sod it takes time to adapt.

Any kind sole have any ideas.

Edited by don246

Make sure you installed OFF correctly. Been flying it for years and got the insane idea I would try to reinstall to see if it would work without a CFS 3 disk. Long story short it was the wrong CFS 3 version..... Anyhoo, took the time to reinstall CFS3, then 3.1 update. Then installed OFF and got a list of aint gonna works. Did it again carefully flying CFS3 after every install. Installed OFF and ran CFS3. Then ran 1.32 update, ran CFS3, ran 1.32g patch and ran CFS3. Then installed HiTR and took a chance and updated 1.46 and 1.47 (I think those are the correct numbers) and everything ran fine. So, it can be done, sometimes it is just harder..... Point is, we all been there.

Beard

Did you fully patch up OFF to the latest versions with the main SUPERpatch and the mini patch?

http://www.overflandersfields.com/DownloadsBH&H.htm

Did you follow all the information carefully in the FAQ under Vista/Windows 7 ?

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm#Vista_Specific

Also if CFS3 is still running from previous attempt (i.e. has not quit properly) you may get a similar error (CTRL+ALT+DEL and look in running Processes for CFS3.exe).

See above for that too. You need to kill that process if so, or restart the PC.

or if that fails

Contact us on support with your order details and we'll try to help. See FAQ bottom for our contact.

All working ok BHAH & HITR.

Just for the record I installed CFS3 to C:\Games\CFS3

OFF was then installed to it's default folder C:\OBDSoftware.

one last thing I had all OFF running on my old PC and I made some notes as to how to install it to that PC at the bottom of my notes after all has been installed my note says -

Then install the OFF_Essential_MP_File-Installer.exe (When prompted DO NOT install the optional damage model) What is that all about? I do not remember that and do not have the file my install runs ok.

Thanks for all the feedback.

never heard of OFF_Essential_MP_File-Installer.exe but probably by the MP guys if you ever flew online before maybe? Don't install I'd say unless you know what it is.

If you are flying offline only you don't need that file, and unfortunately there is really not MP going on now.

Beard