Sign in to follow this  
Gr.Viper

Never get into the boat

Crap...

http://en.rian.ru/trend/cruise_ship_Bulgaria/

In sum, a 50-year-old river cruise ship, that hasn't undergone an overhaul and, as it turns out, had no license to carry passengers, was loaded 40-50 souls over its max capacity, left the port with the left engine dead and heeling to the right, because of asymmetric fuel and technical water load, yet had open portholes... anyway, after a while it sunk 3000m away from the shore in 3 minutes while the crews of passing ships were taking pictures.

80 rescued an hour later, while the divers are to bring over 100 corpses to the surface. I've read quite a lot on shipwrecks and marine disasters but this gotta be the most stupid (and lethal) one in decades.

Edited by Gr.Viper

RIP

@JM: different (un)safety standards

Why would they get in that thing??

Because the average person is unaware of the operation of a vessel, doesn't posses the experience or knowledge to tell when something's amiss (I'm sure the list was no more than a few degrees, barely enough to notice), and because the average person can't be bothered to read safety placards, even when they're posted in plain sight.

These were simply people looking to enjoy a nice day out on the water, who assumed that the owners and crew of the vessel could be trusted to maintain and operate said vessel in a safe manner.

These were simply people looking to enjoy a nice day out on the water

With children no less. There were 60 kids on board. Divers said they counted thirty of them dead down there.

Nasty junk !!! I have booked for a river cruise just next month on the Dniepr and coasts of Black Sea, and such terrible news could make me sleep with my life jacket. I just can imagine what panic such a swift shipwreck can be, when cold doesn't kill you on the spot.

I've read quite a lot on shipwrecks and marine disasters but this gotta be the most stupid (and lethal) one in decades.

A friend of mine had travelled on the Senegalese ferry-boat Joola a couple of years before her capsizing in 2002 (64 survivors, 1953 dead, more than the Titanic, on a small ferry designed for 600 passengers). He wasn't surprised and knew that such a disaster was to happen after his sail on an overcrowed boat where nobody gave a damn about possible safety rules. It seems that some human disasters cannot be avoided.

I would never get on a boat...period!

Sea Sickness...with an option to Drown!...hate the damn things

Sea Sickness...

Not much chance of that in a river.

Depends on the weather and the boat I would think! Besides, if people can get car sick, they can get sick on anything in the water.