Sign in to follow this  
MikeDixonUK

Duxford Airshow (Lots of Pics)

It's sad that there were two accidents at this years Flying Legends in Duxford, but thankfully no one was seriously injured or worse, and the Airshow itself was pretty fun - here are some pics I took of the less dangerous parts (in black and white to try to make them look fancy/less rubbish :grin:)

We were quite lucky as the Nieuport 17 and Fokker Dr.1 were being wheeled out onto the Flight Line when we were doing the Flight Line walk:

duxford1.jpg

duxford2.jpg

duxford3.jpg

duxford4.jpg

duxford5.jpg

duxford12.jpg

duxford8.jpg

duxford9.jpg

duxford11.jpg

dux5.jpg

And a few non-WW1 era pics.

The A-1 Skyraider in the background is the one that had the mid-air collision with a P-51 and lost part of its wingtip:

dux3.jpg

This is the P-51 that went down, but thankfully the Pilot got out ok:

dux7.jpg

dux2.jpg

duxford21.jpg

duxford24.jpg

duxford29.jpg

Beautiful photos Mike...there's something about pics done in black and white, that p*sses all over colour photo's..and you've captured that fact really well Sir!

I agree about the atmoshere with BW pics. Some cracking shots Mike too, real pro quality.

The only thing about colour is that you can change colour to black and white, but not in reverse.

Shame about Duxford, but I'd say they were lucky. The DR1 doesn't look too damaged, and to have the Skyraider survive a mid air collision and make it back nearly in one piece is pretty good going. And even with the Mustang, at least the pilot got out.

Hate to say it, but to collide in the way they did suggests somebody making a big mistake, unless of course there was some mechanical failure first. It looks to me like the P51 went high, but while it didn't lose altitude, it wasn't gaining any either. Seems a bit strange when he'd know there were two aircraft climbing from below. The Skyraider does climb pretty fast, but not as fast as the P51, and it looks like the Mustang falls into him rather than the Skyraider rising up into the Mustang. Do you think the P-51 lost power?.......

Watched it again, and I'm sure the Skyraider was finished his climb and levelled off. That means the Mustang was decending....

Edited by Flyby PC

has 'pilot error' written all over it (imho)

Thanks - beginners luck I assure you. :drinks:

Although it was funny going around with this Digital Camera (granted a £150 one) surrounded by people with Cameras with 3 foot long lenses that take photos faster than a Machinegun. :grin:

I do have an un-educated theory about the mid-air collision:

The crash itself wasn't really part of the flying display - it was at the very end of the Airshow - the final display was a massed flyby by most of the Aircraft (a 'Balbo') - after which they broke off into flights of three or four for a final pass - then they individually peeled off to go in to land (the commentator said they do this to spread the Aircraft out for landing) - anyway the crash happened when the Vic with the P-51s and the Skyraider were peeling off to land.

Now if you watch this video:

http://vimeo.com/26291756

As well as showing a clear clip of the accident - it also has some tower communications.

At the very start of the video you can hear something along the lines of : "<French Name> Skyraider is leaving the formation, going north of the field to return to Yeovilton" and I'm presuming they're talking about the Skyraider that ends up hitting the P-51, so it could be that the P-51s peel off as usual to get ready to land at Duxford - while at the same time the Skyraider peels off to fly north to land at Yeovilton, and the two end up crossing paths.

(Granted they might have been talking about one of the other two Skyraiders.)

Edited by MikeDixonUK

I thought so too UKW, but I'm not so sure now. I'm almost positive the P51 was losing altitude just before the collision. Even after the strike, the trajectory doesn't really change, which suggests it was already heading towards the ground. I'd say pilot error was my first guess, with power failure in the P51 my second guess.

Yeah, that angle looks different. Not so sure the Mustang was decending, but instead, I doubt the Skyraider could see him and took out his tail. I'm back in the pilot error camp, but not sure who's actually to blame. There seems to be a pattern for taking off in threes, and you'd need to watch these to see who departed from the protocol I guess.

I understand the P-51 pilot was also it's owner, so at least that's one less awkward conversation he's got to worry about.

Edited by Flyby PC

I may be entirely wrong (often am!)...but I seem to remember reading somewhere, that the Skyraider, due to it's huge bulk, has a limited field of view for the pilot?..if so, perhaps a contributory factor?

The two things I wonder are A, did that Skyraider have an Ejector Seat, and B, if it didn't would he have still tried to land it!

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Such a shame, that such a beautiful aeroplane, can be totalled, by such an ugly one!...there's no justice!

I suppose there's a lesson in that - you might be the fastest and prettiest and think you're the best, but one day someone big and ugly might come along and knock you out!

I suppose there's a lesson in that - you might be the fastest and prettiest and think you're the best, but one day someone big and ugly might come along and knock you out!

Indeed!...there are some German's around, who will soon find that out, when I get that damn Snipe! :drinks:

Just a comment on the photos. There is something about the 8th (I think) one down, with the Nieuport some way behind the Dr.1 that has the atmosphere of an ‘authentic’ combat view taken from another aircraft. The position of the aircraft at either side of the frame has an unposed feel, and it gives me an impression of looking down on the aircraft, which I think you might not get in colour. Quite surprised me when I first saw it!

Just noticed the front section of a BOAC VC-10....one of my all time favourites!

Indeed!...there are some German's around, who will soon find that out, when I get that damn Snipe!

(Original House of Parliament debate sound sample): "Yeah, yeah, yeah! ...."

Edited by Olham

Just a comment on the photos. There is something about the 8th (I think) one down, with the Nieuport some way behind the Dr.1 that has the atmosphere of an ‘authentic’ combat view taken from another aircraft. The position of the aircraft at either side of the frame has an unposed feel, and it gives me an impression of looking down on the aircraft, which I think you might not get in colour. Quite surprised me when I first saw it!

I see what you mean Wayfarer. It's photographed from the ground, but looks like it could be at 20,000ft.

I would be awesome if you could upload the color pictures as well.