Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Sopwith Aircraft

I think those are Sopwith Tabloids. The Baby was a floatplane, based on the Schneider, which in turn was a floatplane version of the Tabloid (source - 'Sopwith - the man and his aircraft', Harleyford, 1970, which was produced with the co-operation of T.O.M Sopwith and I'd assume is accurate; it has a 3-view scale drawing and some photos of all the Sopwiths including the Baby).

See also here:

http://www.ctie.mona...e/sopwith3.html

PS the lower photo in the linked Aeroplane article is in the above book; it's captioned as being the prototype Tabloid 2-seater (side-by-side seating presumably) which Harry Hawker took to Australia in 1914.

Edited by 33LIMA

I say, Right On old Chap. The Sopwith Baby float plane looks Spot On, Thanks Guys.

One of the giveaways, as I remember, is that the Tabloid has the small tail and usually the "sparrow's beak" nose. The baby has the horseshoe cowl and the big two-tier tail.

One of the giveaways, as I remember, is that the Tabloid has the small tail and usually the "sparrow's beak" nose. The baby has the horseshoe cowl and the big two-tier tail.

The early Sopwith Tabloid was a wing warper and would have been outclassed by the aileron equipped bipes of 1915-16