Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Attacking airfields mission question

Ok, so when we are tasked to attack an enemy airfield, I always go for the planes on the ground, which I might add are extremely difficult to "shoot down". My AI wingmen though all seem to be targeting the tents and airfield structures. So which targets should I actually be aiming for to properly complete the mission?

As you can see from the picture below, while my wingmen were busy flattening a few tents, I was making enough straffing attacks against this one grounded plane to get it smoking and hopefully unservicable. Unfortunately, those bloody AA gun crews eventually got a bead on me.

post-46046-0-55560600-1310818864.jpg

Edited by Hellshade

I have got credited with destroying a "ground target", when I once had destroyed an aircraft.

So it's okay to attack them. But it's easier to destroy tents, and you may even go for wooden

chests - they often contain explosives and blow up wonderfully.

Actually, all you have to do to get full credit for an airfield attack is to 'kill' just one of the soldiers on the field who's popping away at you with his rifle. That being said, I normally go for a plane or two on the ground myself.

I normally do a fast and loose shoot the heck outta everything drop any bombs and run for home... works for me but most times I come home in the proverbial flying sieve... I normally aim for the tents etc with the bombs and gun the planes up if I can...

I usually load up with rockets if available ('cause they're just fun OK) fire them at whatever, usually airplanes but buildings are nice too. I make just one pass and beat feet for home.

Beard

Personally, when flying a scout, if I draw an airfield attack, or a railyard attack (or a distant offensive patrol when flying German) I somehow manage to misunderstand the orders and just go hunting. The OC hasn't complained yet and I'm not aware of any impact on wider hostilities. As far as I can tell it wasn't terribly common for Allied scouts to attack such things (excepting Biggles and maybe Billy Bishop if you believe him, which I don't, mostly) and would have been very rare indeed for the Germans.

I recommend installing Bletchley's mods if you want to get rid of these ahistorical mission types. No more airfield attacks for Jastas, for example.

I always let my one eyed and stupid wingmen attack the airfield first, and if rockets are available I try to hit what is left. I never attack airfields or train yards with guns and I never go below 2500'. If I fly the German crates I always advance time and get a new mission.

If I fly the German crates I always advance time and get a new mission.

Yep, that's more realistic. The German Jasta didn't do airfield attacks, as far as I know.

There were Kampfstaffeln (Kasta), who might have done such missions, and the bombers.

The Jasta seem to have operated pretty much only defensively, over German held terrain.

As Hasse Wind says - as long as P4 is still in the making, you should use Bletchley's mods.

They do not mod (and mess up) anything of your OFF.

They simply only give you missions, which are more historically correct.

The mods are made for several phases of operation on each side, and Bletchley has written

a short, but very informal historical overview for each of them. I learnt more from them.

I use them, like them, and highly recommend them.

Olham, good point about Bletchley's mission mods for the various time periods of the war. They do a fine job of giving a more realistic line-up of missions and an excellent outline.