Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Did anyone see UncleAl here recently?

Haven't seen or read anything from our professional gruntler here.

I hope he is only on holidays, and not in hospital, or banned from here?

It has been quite some time since his last post Olham. Like you Sir, I hope everything is OK with our seasoned OFFer.

Has any one else found that his posts aren't appearing when viewing past threads?

You're right Wayfarer, his posts are gone. Only search results that come up are for his name mentioned in other member's posts. What the...

Damn - I just checked the sticky "Tips and Cheats", and all the stuff UncleAl had collected

is gone from there. That looks like he got banned then?

Edited by Olham

Not just banned Olham, as his old posts would still be viewable. His entire presence has been deleted.

Could one of the forum moderators, or one of the devs, please give us some info about UncleAl?

There were a couple of points I wanted to look up recently that I specifically remember him replying about. Is it possible he could have requested all his posts to be removed?

That's pretty drastic, if everything he ever wrote has been deleted. He must have angered the wrong person(s), and seriously so. I personally never had any problems with Uncleal, but it seems that he never learned the lesson of staying out of trouble, especially from politically sensitive issues.

Yeah, I know quite well, that he was a very black sheep.

I just thought, every forum could bear to have one such black sheep in it's ranks.

Also, I don't see it problematic, if the moderator censors or eliminates single posts,

which are not bearable.

But to erase a whole person including all he ever contributed - that feels really hard for me.

From PMs I learnt, that UncleAl had been fighting in Viet Nam,

and that he lost his legs there, or at least their functionality.

Now, I have never been in a war, but from all I've seen from wars, I know they can change your personality

quite a bit, especially when you experienced something like that.

That was my reason for bearing many a rude word or line from him (and he insulted me at least twice),

which I wouldn't have from anyone else.

But what I did even like about his personality was, that he did not change his ways to express himself,

just because he got warnings. He remained the guy he was, and an openly rude gruntler is often a lot more

honest than a very polite man, who just knows to follow the social rules better.

I know he had his warnings, and his chances.

Maybe the moderators couldn't allow any further rudeness (I have not seen the post that must have led to this).

But I know this must be very hard for him.

And I go as far as to say, that I will really miss him.

Edited by Olham

Uncleal is indeed a gruff character, and could definitely rub folks the wrong way. But as you say Olham, he was honest about it, and he was also quite helpful on many osccasions. Now, while I don't think a person's past should forgive them their bad behaviour it does certainly help to explain it. Uncleal is who he is, and I suspect he finally crossed the line with those who have the power to do something about it. Too bad though, I'll miss him too.

even in his ranting posts i did enjoy reading them in the beginning for the reason that someone who doesnt care about being nice tends to be abit more truthful. but of late he seemed to be getting more and more aggressive toward those he was corresponding with prob the big no no taking it out side the Arena wich is set for ranting and peronal/political views. his amount of posts of that type led me to forget he was an OFF'er. that said a check on his member profile (thru the members button above) shows him to be banned, tho removal of everything he posted seems extreme even for banishment.

uncleal welcomed me into these forums just a few months ago by pointing me in the right direction with things when I knew nothing. I owe him much and wish him the best of luck but sadly, I get the feeling he must have been banned as why would he want all his posts deleted?

Thanks for clearing, daddyairplanes. Now we know.

UncleAl :salute: You have been a friend to me. I wish you the vey best in life. :drinks:

Obviously I don't know the backstory to this most recent banning more than any other forum member. I can only guess that either the latest offense must have been more excessive than usual or that it was 'the straw that broke the (sopwith) camels back", because I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having every post they ever made, including the many non offensive ones, deleted. It would certainly present itself as a measure of 'finality'.

Though in the distant past he and I had trained our guns onto one another now and then, at least you always knew where he stood. As Olham said, war changes people and if you end up making a sacrifice as life changing as the loss of the use of your legs in defense of your country, it's pretty hard to blame that person for being aggressive in defending and promoting their political views. The big irony between he and I was that I didn't always disagree with him. I just knew this wasn't the proper forum to debate them.

I won't question the wisdom of needing to delete every post he ever made, including the very helpful sticky thread of his. The people of CombatAce have given us a lovely forum to call home here and I very much appreciate it. UncleAl has had many warnings and bannings before this to get him to refrain from inappropriate behavior. There must come a time where at some point the moderaters and forum owers say "Enough is enough. The message just isn't getting through for whatever reason." I'm genuine sorry that it appears to have gotten to that point.

We'll miss you UncleAl, and thanks to the Forum Administrators who work so hard to make the OFF:BH&H forum an enjoyable place for everyone.

Hellshade

Good post, Hellshade. We mustn't forget that this is not our forum; we are all members here, yes, but there are rules that must be followed, and those rules are not set by us. It's like a being a guest at somebody's house. While such a complete deletion of a member's posting history is not typical, I trust it was not done lightly.

It's a shame he's been banished..I didn't always see eye to eye with some things he said, but as long as you took him at face value..he was a decent enough chap.

But hey, we're all guests here, and he had many warnings :salute:

I rarely poke my nose outside of this particular forum, but apparently he had made himself persona non grata due to extremely offensive postings on other fora within Combat Ace. He had been warned many times, and finally the moderators on those other fora had had enough.

Uncle Al is no more.

We will remember him.

shredward

Must admit I will miss the old guy... granted a lot of what he posted should not have been posted in an Sim Forum site and I know he was warned and the fact they created a forum for that sort of thing, but he kept posting in The Pub... tis a shame he did not heed the warnings and back off from posting like he did... :drinks:

As Shredward says apparently repeated warnings and re-instatements came before, and now he has been banned for some more bad posts and could not be brought in line anymore, or given anymore chances. We intervened a few times on his behalf due to his other kinder side for new flyers here. I didn't realise even his useful stickies where gone that's a blow and his replies to help people. I will ask further on that.

Yes it is unfortunate. Al, for all his foibles has always been a number 1 fanboy for OFF. He could be prickly and maybe a little put-offish but he was never really inconsistent. His tips and cheats were a great asset for the new people and will be missed.

By the way, from his writing I believe he came out of Viet Nam in one piece and lost his leg in a motorcycle accident (I think).

Wont make excuses for him, but will miss his input here.... though he still posts on another forum I frequent.

Beard

Interesting phenomena here. The "dead guy" has no faults and was a great person.

I will go out on a limb and say bye-bye and don't let the door hit you in the arse.

Obviously I didn't think much of him.

Another interesting phenomena - Have you ever noticed in reading here the number of new members/first-time posters who have come here, asked a typical "new guy" question - were then lambasted by the old fool for being dumb - and they never posted here again? I have. Wonder how much new blood we have lost.

:bye: