Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Major Jeffrey 'Kooksy' Alberts Goes West

A sad day at the virtual 54 Squadron. Afternoon patrol found Major Jeffrey Alberts leading his flight through a blue spring sky across the mud east of their latest aerodrome assignment at Flez. Shortly after crossing over to the Hun side five Albatros D.IIIs, sporting wide black and white bands on their fuselages, dove on the four Pups of 'A' Flight. Kooksy flew and fought with great skill and grit as he drove his first attacker down, then turned to brush another from the tail of one of the new lads. Just as he placed a burst into the cockpit of the Alb in front of him, he was hit by two streams of lead from another Boche that had slipped onto his tail. Kooksy instinctively twisted hard to starboard as he brought the nose of his kite up and over the top of his following assailant. But a split second later flames burst out from the Pup's cowl, causing the Major to dive for the earth as he switched off the fuel and magnetos. But it was not to be. Kooksy burned all the way to the muddy ground below, crashing next to an Allied balloon position. His body was recovered from the wreck and was buried in a little cemetery near Flez in the presence of the entire 54 Squadron contingent.

gallery_45680_657_493715.jpg

So, stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a drink to the dead already.

Hurrah for the next man to die.

...I'm gutted...

Lou

My condolences for your pilot, Lou. It has been a tough day in the virtual skies for both sides.

I drink to his shade. :salute:

Ouch Lou... I will stop writing those doom and gloom Free style musings... seems like bad luck...

:drinks: to the departed...

I raise my glass to the late Major Jeffrey "Kooksy" Alberts who fought with tenacity, honour and skill. :drinks:

That must be a terrible loss for you, RAF_Louvert. Nearly got to a whopping 200 flying hours! Sir, I raise my glass to you and Major Alberts. Salute.gifdrinks.gif

What a terrible loss. I know how it feels, as I'm sure many of us here do. :salute:

I hope the bad mojo won't spread to my British pilot!

I'm very sorry for your loss, Lou. Our longest-survivng virtual selves in this sim brcome like frinds of long-standing and their demise is not lightly felt.

Nearly making 200 hours is damn inpressive. Myself, I am happy on the very rare occasion I make 20.

Dej: Love the BOC poem in your 'sig'. "Fifteen feet and he flies inverted" - priceless!

My condolences, Lou.

Kooksy's was an inspirational campaign and he joins a small band of elite airmen flying the eternal high-level patrol. I'm sure very few of us have had pilots with anywhere near 200 hours service.

To Kooksy! :drinks:

That must be feeling very dull, to lose such a good man, pilot and comrade

after more than fifteen months in this Storm of Steel.

My condolences, Lou!

From what I knew about Major Jeffrey Alberts, he was a man of education,

of culture; a man who read many a book in his far too short life.

So you may accept from a German pilot this poem by Josef von Eichendorf:

Und meine Seele spannte

weit ihre Flügel aus,

flog durch die stillen Lande,

als flöge sie nach Haus

You have really given all you could give - now rest in peace, Major Alberts!

And my soul unfolded

wide it's wings

flew through the silent lands

as if flying home

Edited by Olham

Thank you all. It was a nasty shock and I shall dearly miss old Kooksy. C'est la vie.

I hear the BE2 of 4 Squadron calling from January 1915, "Prove your worth lad, come fly a B/R bus and show your true mettle!"

:drinks:

R.I.P. Nearly 200 hrs Wow. I almost had 40 hrs at one time then the Ax fell.:salute:

Thank you all. It was a nasty shock and I shall dearly miss old Kooksy. C'est la vie.

I hear the BE2 of 4 Squadron calling from January 1915, "Prove your worth lad, come fly a B/R bus and show your true mettle!"

So will you try Bletchley's mod for that era, Lou?

Life at #4 will be very quiet until June 1915 when the Einies come out to play. Good luck!

Oh yes TaillyHo, I will most certainly be using Bletchley's early war mods. And I could use a bit of quiet for a while, actually looking forward to the Quirk and a bit of trench mapping, gun ranging, and recce work.

A sad evening in the mess...but let's get on with it chaps!...there's a War on! :salute: