Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Gentleman, for your entertainment, may I present...

Gentleman, for your entertainment, may I present my short film:

Reflections of an Unknown Airman

May God Bless the souls of every man who ever had to fight in any war.

Hellshade

OK, now THAT was outstanding, Hellshade. You have a true calling in the narration of film Sir.

This is fantastic Hellshade - thanks for the effort! :salute:

Great job! Loved the narration. I felt like I was watching the History Channel.

That narrative style of your latest video here is a great idea, and it has a "very human touch", Hellshade. :good:

What the video reveals very well, is the (non-) reaction of those Albatros to an approaching, very lethal craft.

They just fly on. Even when they are getting shot at, they do not seem to notice it, or don't care at all.

Here, I would really LOVE to see in P4:

sudden hard banking to the left or right, extreme pushing of the stick; barrel rolls; evasive zigzagging etc. etc.

to make a dogfight look like something, that would explain to us, why even the aces did not have incredibly

high kill rates. Herr Prop-Wasche's DM seems to be a good step forward to make them last much longer.

Now we need AI with a good defensive intelligence.

Edited by Olham

Hellshade Sir, that was brilliant...

Just tonight I started flying again after a long break due to real life and work issues...

A friend of mine from years ago contacted me several days ago and we talked about this sim, I pointed him in the direction of your youtube videos...Many years ago he and I used to play a tabletop WWI miniatures game, the name of which escapes me now, but we had metal figurines, turn based play, stands for altitude and plotted movement, tables for dice roll etc...it was very complicated but we loved it. My friend has always been an enormous WW1 aviation buff and when he saw your videos he was speechless...

I believe he agreed with me that this sim is the very thing that we had dreamed about in the past....

He will no doubt become a convert, and at the right time to anticipate the next iteration of this great experience.

This video, tonight, proves to me that you, sir, should definately be the first port of call for any prospective player....That was perhaps the perfect atmospheric advertisement for this sim.

Well done.

No bloody speakers on this PC...Look forward to watching this when I get home

This video, tonight, proves to me that you, sir, should definately be the first port of call for any prospective player....That was perhaps the perfect atmospheric advertisement for this sim.

Well done.

Well said smilingmonkey! I found Hellshade's channel on YouTube and that is what introduced me to this sim 3.5 months ago. I had been playing a variety of RTS titles (Total War) and others and nothing was really dong it for me. Then I found the videos on YouTube and haven't picked up another game since.

Here, I would really LOVE to see in P4:

sudden hard banking to the left or right, extreme pushing of the stick; barrel rolls; evasive zigzagging etc. etc.

to make a dogfight look like something, that would explain to us, why even the aces did not have incredibly

high kill rates. Herr Prop-Wasche's DM seems to be a good step forward to make them last much longer.

Now we need AI with a good defensive intelligence.

One thing I like about first Eagles/First Eagles 2 is that the AI react to being shot at, in a varied but seemingly realistic fashion. I have used this many,many times to save a comrade who is under attack, scaring off his attacker and saving his life even tho the range is too long to have any real hope of a kill. Not just realistic but encourages me, flying as leader, to try to look out for my men as much as go for the kills. One of the reasons I have to say that I still rate FE/FE2 as a better sim for dogfighting than OFF, just as good dogfighting is the hallmark of most Third Wire sims.

Edited by 33LIMA

Well, sometimes they DO react on being shot at, or at least some sorts of pilots do, LIMA.

I have definitely seen craft pulling away as soon as they get shot at.

It's only that too many of them don't.

Maybe the "veteran" standard of P3 should be the "average" standard of P4;

and the P4 "ace" standard should be improved?

Well said smilingmonkey! I found Hellshade's channel on YouTube and that is what introduced me to this sim 3.5 months ago. I had been playing a variety of RTS titles (Total War) and others and nothing was really dong it for me. Then I found the videos on YouTube and haven't picked up another game since.

Well thank you gentleman. That's the whole reason I started making videos. The videos that Polovoski had put out prior to Phase 3 being released had me totally sold. I figured some HD videos showing actual player pilot experience in OFF:BH&H would be the perfect counter-weight to all those old "But it's using CFS3 engine" arguments. People could just show someone some of the videos and say "look at the quality. Look at how much they have put into this in terms of details and historical accuracy." I was even able to get a couple of videos approved for displaying on the official TrackIR website showing how OFF:BH&H supports TrackIR. A nice little recruiting tool I hope.

By the way, this particular video was actually shot before the "Failed Balloon Mission" video that has such spectacular AI fighting skills. "Reflections of an Unknown Airmen" is not using HPWs Front Guns Mod and the Workshop Gun Accuracy setting was at Accurate, instead of Less Accurate. You can clearly see the difference between the two videos on how much more challenging it is to shoot down an enemy aircraft when using HPW's Front Guns mod and the Less Accurate gun settings in the Workshop. I almost didn't make the "Reflections" video because of that but I decided I could hopefully come up with a compelling enough script that maybe it wouldn't seem as noticable.

Hellshade

My front guns mod simply increases the bullet spread a little so you don't get so many "bulls-eyes" when you shoot at a target. Instead, the bullets are spread out a little more. Bullethead and I had a mild argument about this issue when I first released the mod. He feels that accuracy in the air should not be that much more difficult than accuracy on the ground, and that the movement of the airplane did not have that much of an impact on bullet accuracy. He compared it to shooting off of a moving vehicle. I disagreed, arguing that aircraft have much more "degrees of freedom" of movement, including yaw, pitch, and roll. Plus, you are shooting at something that doesn't tend to stay put either. Not to mention variables such as below-zero cold, wind, oil on your goggles, etc.

BTW, great video, Hellshade!

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Yes, the extra spread of the bullets was exactly what I was looking for. I agree very much that the guns back then were very accurate and Richtofen himself was known to have shot down so many planes because he was an excellent marksman and an only average "flyer". But my justification (in my head) for using the less accurate gun spread is because the sim cannot possibly account for the effect of zero degree temperatures in an open cockpit at 100Mph on a human pilot. It can't mimic the true emotional stress of real air combat. As great as any flight sim might be, there are simply factors beyond it's ability to produce that have a genuine effect on combat effectiveness.

I don't disagree that the guns are accurate or even if shooting while flying is more difficult. It's the intense cold. It's the paranoia of it being your 30th combat mission in 10 days and you haven't slept well in 2 weeks because you've lost a friend every day since the begining of the new offensive. It's the fear that at any time, the enemy could show up in a new type of plane that yours is no match for and you'll have to figure out how to survive. All of these factors have an effect on your marksmanship. Without ever being hit by a bullet, the human psyche can still crack under the pressure and as the stress gets greater and greater, it can't help but throw off your skills. The extra bullets spread comes close enough to mimicing that for me, so thats why I use it.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Finally got a chance to watch it Hellshade!...Just one word... EPIC! :clapping:

I finally had a chance to listen to your narration and liked the video even more. Really adds to the atmosphere of the piece. The words of a professional doing his job, but still with his humanity intact. Bravo!

I've been missing here for quite a few months because of other things going on, but what a great thing to see. What an achievement. The tone of your voice, the way you presented it was an art form in itself. Greetings to all my old friends. I'll come back sometime, but right now have been pursuing some oil paintings of fish and wildlife on wood. Haven't been in the "sky" in any kind of sim but a couple of times in the last couple of months. Once again, best wishes to all