Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

And she is down for the last time...

Sad day.....

Yes its sad. But not because the program has finished, but because there is nothing which comes after the Shuttles.

Personally i would like to see a new small Shuttle.Perhaps a bigger version of the X-37B vehicle. 10 tons weight, 1 - 2 astronauts as crew and a loading bay which could be filled with a lot of modules. One module for passenger transfer with docking port for the ISS, one for freight transport to the ISS, one module with roboarm for repair missions, one module for ....

Its only a dream.

:salute:

Another one gone - lets hope they develop something to make up for this.

A great, if greatly premature, ending to a fantastic program. :salute::drinks:

While not a perfect system and never meeting its original goals wrt cost per flight, it was an outstanding achievment that brought a frequency of space flights and delivery to orbit that was unmatched.

And prayers for those who didn't make it back.

:salute:

A good ending for a tremendous program. :clapping:

Now: Back to the Moon and then on to Mars. :good:

I still think it a shame that the X-33 program was trashed when it held such promise. But, oh no, we're having trouble getting the fuel tanks right. Really? Kill the whole thing then!

As a card carrying space geek I am also sad that an era has ended. We cannot lose sight of the fact that in the big scheme of things this is a very small, very fragile planet. I firmly believe our future demands we look beyond this rock.

I told you I was a geek. :starwars:

Damn shame it is for them to end it like this... I wonder though, they'll be kept in such a condition that they could be brought back online for any emergency deployment, right?

Also, a pity it had to be a night landing... a day-landing would've been more fitting IMHO...

Thanks for your glamour, Space Shuttles! And a salute for those brave souls that didn't make it back! :salute:

Nope, they're being gutted for display to take all the dangerous stuff out. In theory you could reverse it, but it would be more or less impractical. Besides, they're not making more tanks or boosters or engines (which only get used I think 10 times max) so even if it could there'd be nothing to take it up there.

Perhaps they will store the blueprints of the Shuttle correctly. The blueprints of the Saturn V are gone with the wind.

Edited by Gepard

Now: Back to the Moon and then on to Mars. :good:

I wish we had a program in place that would do that. I'm not confident that we will get there with what is presently programmed.

I hope we can get a realistic program rolling. The Final Frontier is where the future is.

(yea - I'm a space geek too!)

:starwars:

Actually, IIRC it's not the S5 plans that are missing, it's the tooling. I guess the plans talk about how to make the parts using specific tooling settings. The problem is the tooling was scrapped long ago and no plans exist to rebuild it. So the plans for the S5 might as well be written in Elvish for all the good they'll do.

Jedi is correct...the plans for the Saturn 5 all exist. But tooling is EXPENSIVE...

FC

I'm a space nut, so much so, I programmed my own spacecraft/solar system simulator in Fortran90 (for DOS but 32bit), and my take:...its about time. Either build a real system of boosters to orbit, or just forget about it. That shuttle was never the way to continue into space from day one.

Now the lukewarm is gone, they either get hot about space, or go cold to it. There is an alternative however. Karl Denninger has an interesting take on this, that .gov puts phony obstacles in the way of private space enterprises while exempting itself from the same rules -- PK for passengers for example. Get phony.gov out of the way, and the first steps to vast space travel starts tomorrow. I'll add that getting the ponzi bank.gov debt system out of the way of enterprising men and women is required as well so real wealth can build the future.

The only *theoretical* possible issue I see is that man biologically cannot survive indefinitely in space, no matter the conceivable tech. If so, then man's physical form is too closely tied to the Earth, and NASA and some others know this but nobody's talking, which could explain why there is no serious attempt at moving man into space long term. That's just a logical possibility however, and one I hope is totally wrong. :good:

I thought it was due to zero-gravity causing bone & muscle deterioration? Build a space station that generates earth gravity and problem should be solved.

There is radiation as well...radiation that can't be stopped unless you have shielding...and a LOT of it. That's why all astronauts had a time clock, and when that limit was reached, you were done going into space.

Also, building a spinning station is conceptually very easy, but practically is very difficult, especially if you trying to get to a full G.

FC

Glad to see the crew came home safe and sound, but sad to see the Shuttle go. Bravo Zulu, Atlantis.

FC, you seen the closeup pics of space helmets penetrated by cosmic rays? Them some rays man.

Few souls know this, but the body needs the natural radiation in the environment; not too much, not too little. but just right. :ok:

There are other possibilities tying man to Earth. geophagy -- the art of eating Earth -- could be a big one. Very interesting short article here....

Eating Dirt Can Be Good for the Belly, Researchers Find ~> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110602162820.htm

...at least some kinds of Earth dirt. Lunar Regolith? Probably not ... for one thing its sharp like glass shards given -- I think -- no erosion on the Moon outside collisions with other particles and cosmic rays, and its sterile of biological related substances. I tend to guess that Earth dirt has millions of years worth of biological substances that the body needs.

Funny, the humoid body has more bacteria than body cells. Like natural radiation, these bacterias are required. Where do we get them?

Looks like the boys from Top Gear solved it sort off only one problem...

Damn impressive if you ask me...

Not quite that impressive...they had a full crew.

This was done by one person for the most part:

FC

Perhaps they will store the blueprints of the Shuttle correctly. The blueprints of the Saturn V are gone with the wind.

true but the govvernment did that deliberately so we would have to go forth with the Shuttle. matter of fact the Raptor is the first time i am hearing of blueprints and tools being store for future use.