Sign in to follow this  
Olham

What the heck was this?

Our Albatros D.V from Jasta 2 clashed with Sopwith Pup from RFC-66.

Our flight was 1.000 feet higher than the Pups.

The Albatros - at an altitude of only 9.000 feet - behaved like running on tar or water,

while the Pups shot down one after the other.

When I saw, that the craft was useless at that altitude, I thought, I'd trick the sim

and dive for 3.000 and fight the Pups there then.

But diving at an angle of ca. 30°, the Pups (max. speed 171 km/h) were even faster

than the D.V (180 km/h), caught up with my craft and shot me up.

I know there were several aces among them, but did they also fly highly tuned engines

on rocket fuel, while some saboteurs had filled sugar in our tanks, or what the heck

was this meant to be???

I'm just back using HPW's FM mods but one reason I stopped for a time, was finding my Alb DV 'ran out of puff' at about 10,000 and could not catch a Strutter 2-seater that was only a little higher. I used to fly P2 without auto-mixture and it was like the FM mod had disabled that but would not let me lean the mixture either (I tried).

I know the Alb DV's performance figures are worse than the DIII in some respects (climb?), the AI fly unladen, and that IRL as described by AG Lee, the light little Pups can outclass V-strutters at high altitude, but none of the above sounds right.

Try again in QC with the stock FM perhaps, and see what happens?

Edited by 33LIMA

I'm not sure what happened here Olham but if you remember I had something similar happen to me just a few weeks ago. I was flying an SE5a and my ammo was spent so I ran for the lines pursued by an Alb.D.II. Between 5,000 ft. until I landed I couldn't outrun him even though I should have at least a 10-15 MPH advantage (someone check me here). I should have been able to outrun him easily but he stayed right with me the whole way.

LIMA, I did not use HPW's FM today, as it doesn't let the ace skins show.

Shiloh, I remember your report, and I have such "events" every now and then, and it always feels

like when you meet such a special enemy ace flight, the performance of your own craft gets ridiculous,

while the performance of the enemy craft, which should be inferiour, gets boosted.

I do not mean to say that the sim is programmed for this to fool me - but something strange

IS definitely happening sometimes, and I don't know, what causes that???

Edited by Olham

Shiloh, I remember your report, and I have such "events" every now and then, and it always feels

like when you meet such a special enemy ace flight, the performance of your own craft gets ridiculous,

while the performance of the enemy craft, which should be inferiour, gets boosted.

I do not mean to say that the sim is programmed for this to fool me - but something strange

IS definitely happening sometimes, and I don't know, what causes that???

If it's not consistent it makes it tough as one is tailoring the strategy to the opponent and in my case, I expended all my ammunition knowing I could outrun the Albs with my SE5a. But the way it turned out, my guy was in danger he should have never been in considering my speed advantage but in the end the "lack of advantage" let me down.

Even if a guy is an ace he shouldn't really be able to fly any faster unless, as you mentioned, some aces are customizing their planes. In my case the guy was not an ace so I'm not sure why that happened. I'll keep an eye on it myself and see what I come up with.

Edited by Shiloh

The AI aircraft have a speed advantage, yes - but haven't they always had it in CFS3? They are not troubled by the weight of fuel and ammo, as far as I know. I always use auto mixture to help even the odds somewhat, because if the AI is always operating at best performance, why shouldn't my engine too? Even the SPAD XIII, the fastest fighter in the sim, doesn't always give you enough speed to leave the AI opponents behind. It's just something I've learned to accept as one of the quirks of CFS3, but of course I hope things will be different in P4.

It doesn't bother me too much in any case, as I mostly fly two-seaters such as the Fee and the BE2, which are slower than anything else up there. :grin:

Edited by Hasse Wind

Hasse Wind, I did not mean the things which are always and generally there in OFF - wrong or right.

What I mean is, that every now and then, the Albatros I fly operates on junk level - you cannot

get anything done in it - and the AI performs on Superman level.

It is absolutely different to the general average flying.

Edited by Olham

Oh. Well, you're the Albatros expert and have much more experience flying those birds than I do, so I trust your observations are correct.

Sometimes, I can't cope with my own AI squadmates climbing, not to mention the enemy AI...

Why are you talking about the use or not of auto mixture?

Albatros had and has in game as well, auto mixture by default... :dntknw:

I always used and still use "Auto-Mixture" on.

I'm just back using HPW's FM mods but one reason I stopped for a time, was finding my Alb DV 'ran out of puff' at about 10,000 and could not catch a Strutter 2-seater that was only a little higher. I used to fly P2 without auto-mixture and it was like the FM mod had disabled that but would not let me lean the mixture either (I tried).

I know the Alb DV's performance figures are worse than the DIII in some respects (climb?), the AI fly unladen, and that IRL as described by AG Lee, the light little Pups can outclass V-strutters at high altitude, but none of the above sounds right.

Try again in QC with the stock FM perhaps, and see what happens?

I'm away from my gaming computer at the moment, so I will have to check, but I don't think I reduced the performance of the DV in my FM mod. Not sure why you could not lean your mixture, either.

Also, I specifically improved the performance of the Pups at high altitude while reducing their speed at low altitude to specifically reflect AG Lee's observations.

But diving at an angle of ca. 30°, the Pups (max. speed 171 km/h) were even faster than the D.V (180 km/h), caught up with my craft and shot me up.

This is one of the first things I tried to remedy with my FM mod. With the mod, the Pup should dive about 50 mph slower than in the stock FM.

Sorry to go off at a bit of a tangent here chaps, but can you confirm that HPW's excellent new flight models somehow block the ace skins? I hadn't heard of that issue, is there a workaround for it?

It'd be a great shame to gain the improved flight models but lose the atmosphere-enhancing presence of the aces.

Mike

I'm away from my gaming computer at the moment, so I will have to check, but I don't think I reduced the performance of the DV in my FM mod. Not sure why you could not lean your mixture, either.

Also, I specifically improved the performance of the Pups at high altitude while reducing their speed at low altitude to specifically reflect AG Lee's observations.

Thanks HPW; think I could not lean the mixture as I use auto-mixture (just tried that anyway when I found the performance fall-off issue). Just happened to notice right after installing the mod, not at all sure it had anything to do with the FM mod. Might instead have been the effect reported by Olham, or maybe I had un-noticed damage (I fly with skins at hi-res and no in-flight messages). Back flying a DIII with your 3 mods at the moment and all seems ok.

Mike, Winder said that unfortunately, the FM-aces problem is too tricky to address right now in P3, but will be surely be taken care of, in P4.

More info, including Winder's original answers on the matter, in this thread:

http://combatace.com/topic/66351-jasta-37-campaign/page__p__510023#entry510023

I believe though, that you only loose aces in your Sqn. as I have encountered enemy aces in personal schemes...

I don't know about aces from other friendly Squadrons.

This is one of the first things I tried to remedy with my FM mod. With the mod, the Pup should dive about 50 mph slower than in the stock FM.

Maybe I should fly the new FM despite the loss of the ace skins? What you have achieved is good so far, Herr Prop-Wasche.

More immersion vs more realism - a tough one. I'll try it out again.

I guess you're right there, elephant - one would only lose the ace skins in your own squadron.

But flying German side, it surely is a big loss.

Unfortunately, the loss is greater on the German side, with the greater prevalence of personal skins.

The only skins that do not show up are the ace skins involving planes that have modified FM's. On the German side, that is all of the Albs (sadly), and the Pfalz. On the Allied side, that is the Sopwith Pup and Tripe, plus the Re8. All other aircraft models should have the correct skins.

I am also pleased to report that Panama Red may have stumbled upon a possible work-around for the ace skins and FM problem. I was able to confirm that the work-around seems to work, but he told me he was unable to duplicate the solution. We hope to have it sorted shortly.

Don't get your hopes up yet, Elephant! I was as surprised as anyone when he told me he had a possible work-around. I tried it and it seemed to work, but before I wrote back to him to confirm it, he wrote to me to say he couldn't get it to work! So, we still have a little mystery to sort out.

I will report later, but I can now say, that I am getting your FMs and the ace skins, Herr Prop-Wasche.