Dave

New Project / Product Announcement: When Thunder Rolled

Subject: New Project / Product Announcement: When Thunder Rolled

All, wanted to share some news with you about a commercial Vietnam war project in the works that some might find interesting. It’s called “When Thunder Rolled” and is currently still in development. I’ve been communicating with the project team and offering support on this one, especially since it’s planned to be “mod friendly”, supports the Combat Ace community and has involved many of our community modders. I also like how the spirit of development encourages people to get involved and help make a better product in the end. So if you’re looking for a project to get involved in, you now have another interesting opportunity. While I can’t vouch for what the finished product will be like, I do think the approach is right and this product offers another option for us to consider.

For more information, including how to get involved, you can visit their website at: www.whenthunderrolled.com

Combat Ace has also partnered with the team and will be hosting their discussion forums here in the future.

_wsb_708x595_WTR+Features+Collage.jpg

Excellent - most interesting

Edited by MigBuster

Thanks Dave! The more the better...

Well...

Resevation it's accepted?! :clapping:

Nothing on their site about it, but will they have any helos of any description? Even AI etc?

JB5

Interestering!

I know where they can get some good maps

Count on me too. F105 always a favourite of mine!!

good to see them working on :clapping:

I thought I'd pen a few words in support of this project. With a much-needed revamp of the terrain to better reflect the scarred landscape of 1966, and a more complex hi-res version of the 105, this certainly has the potential to really put you in the hot seat as you head into harms way.

If the hairs raise on the back of your neck as you approach the target area, then I'd say that the folks behind this project have succeeded. This is the kind of historical re-enactment that really keeps my interest*, and it looks as though it has the best of all fans lining up to re-live his own experiences. See ER support

*If you're familiar with my previous work, you'll know what I mean.

Having read "When Thunder Rolled" you really get a feel for just how nerve-racking heading up North was for each of those guys, flying up there into the unknown, as low and as fast as they dared, looking for just one more 'counter' to get them one step closer to home.

Bring it on I say, and count me in. :cool:

Regards, comrpnt.

It will be good to see someone other than TK tackling the Vietnam theater.

Ultimately it boils down to TK

We are pleased to introduce our commercial add-on project currently in-development. The project leverages Thirdwire’s Vietnam-based combat flight simulator engine.

it will be sort of like YAP was for Series1, I think with working campaign and less story-oriented (not that YAP is...)

I had an offer to work/advice on the terrain, but after I fully realised that's something like YAP for Gen2 I silently disappeared (not in the best manner, I admit that Steve)

Good to see another competitor in the Vietnam War addons area, but it will have all the limitations and features SF2 has

Well, let's face it, TK is the only small flight sim dev with his own engine. After that you go up to ROF, which started with Il-2 itself but was able to move to their own after they had enough resources. Gaijin used Il-2 as well for Birds/Wings of Prey/Luftwaffe.

Flex and AD's Combat Helo is using an existing engine, modifying it for themselves. Oh, there's Dante and JT, I think they're using an in-house engine there.

OT: What's the engine AD is using, FPS one?

It's a good news ! :good:

Nice !

Well, let's face it, TK is the only small flight sim dev with his own engine. After that you go up to ROF, which started with Il-2 itself but was able to move to their own after they had enough resources. Gaijin used Il-2 as well for Birds/Wings of Prey/Luftwaffe.

Flex and AD's Combat Helo is using an existing engine, modifying it for themselves. Oh, there's Dante and JT, I think they're using an in-house engine there.

Gaijin uses an in-house engine, Dagor. It would be nice if TK let these guys do some custom engine work so it isn't merely an SF2 mod.

TK will let anyone do just about anything if they offer the right price.

First Flight The Wright Experience did some things with TK's engine that SFP1 was not doing at the time and still not doing now. Among them was a dedicated wind-tunnel based flight model in place of TK's fm. IIRC, it has a mission recorder, too. If I had it installed right now, I would verify that feature. This project appears to be more of a YAP style user modse turned payware rather than the truly commercial grade product that First Flight represented, so I don't expect any engine changes or radical breakthroughs.

OT: What's the engine AD is using, FPS one?

Hello all,

TRICUBIC STUDIOS uses for Combat Helo the Leadwerks Engine :

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/Products/le2

and later, for next projects, the GROME3 engine :

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor

I saw a message from JediMaster about Jet Thunder,

ThunderWorks have got a proprietary 3D engine, confirmed by Dante here :

http://combatace.com/topic/46249-news-for-august-2009/page__p__423934#entry423934

My 2 cents of €. :wink:

I beg your pardon for my poor english,

all the best for this great project. :happy:

OT

1 station license for Leadwerks is 199$, 50$ for world editor... TK, you read this?

/OT

Leadwerks isn't optimized for flightsim. IIRC that is why the CH maps are limited to 32x32km and they're looking at GROME3 instead.

I see, thanks Jules. GR3 is some 200$ for indie devs so still cheap