Sign in to follow this  
Dave

I Would Like to Bring To Your Attention

Wow, that is impressive. I found myself ducking a few times. I really enjoyed seeing real-world footage mixed in. The immersion was right on.

Nice work Capt Ward and thanks for your service!

-Jeff

Truly a masterpiece. Very immersive as Storm mentions.

And guys, don't miss the ending!!

Saluting Capt. Ward :salute:

can this be posted in youtube?

i cant watch it because of QuickTime having some problems with my PC, and it needs that app just to play this video, which i can't.

I cant access the file either. It wont play for some weird reason. And i have quick time.

Yes, I am having trouble viewing it as well from the forum link.

I did get it to download, but the Quicktime viewer is causing it to zoom in on the image frames. In other words, you are missing about 40% of the picture on each frame, which really causes you to miss a lot of what is going on. I was also getting some stutters during playback.

I have notified Dave about this problem and he said he would look into it.

I can't put it on YouTube because it exceeds the 15 minute movie length allowed on YouTube. The movie is about 27 minutes long.

The movie is renderd in a 4:3 aspect ratio, so if you try to stretch it out on a wide screen monitor, you may also cause the top and bottom of the image to get clipped. Let it play at 4:3.

The file I sent to Dave is a large mp4 file. It plays great using Windows Media player. Plus, Media Player also has Stop, Pause, and Replay functions at the bottom of the screen. I could not find any such controls on the QuickTime player window.

Hopefully, Dave will find a way to get this fixed so you can all watch it the way it was originally rendered. It is a great video and shows how realistic SF2 Vietnam is when merged in with my actual combat footage.

Keep checking back so that you can view it in its proper format when Dave gets the kinks worked out.

If you have any questions about the movie, just post them here and I will be happy to respond.

Bob Ward

And I am working on it. Does anyone with some AV experience got any idea what I should do?

Great video - must have spent some time on that.

Works in IE9 with quicktime plugin 7.6.9(1690.9) - takes about 5 mins to download and play

Quicktime plugin Crashes in Google Chrome though

Afraid its probably down to browser, codecs and plugin versions on each PC!

Most will run flash okay because thats almost universal these days (i.e youtube).

Options:

1. Up load as just a file.
  2. Use other free video site that allows it to use Flash at longer running times.
  3. Upload in a different format.
  4. Cut out some of it and upload to Youtube.

MigBuster,

Were you able to tell if QuickTime was zoomed in on the image frames and causing the loss of substantial image area?

In the Intro there is a sequence where an F-100 is brought out of the mist with lightning bolts. During this sequence, you should be able to see "F-100" at the top of the screen image and "Super Sabre" at the bottom. Were you able to see this?

I am using the same version of QuickTime that you referenced and I get the "zoomed in" effect which causes a substantial loss of image.

Bob

Yes it does looking again - never even noticed it :this:

Have updated QT also - no change.

On the server side you used to be able to only control these plugins properly from the server side - embed Javascript into the the actual web page with the required parameters if possible - sizes, aspect etc - should be info on the web.

Or - could try getting the file down in another format so it doesnt need to use Quicktime - because changing file associations, or disabling the plugin on the client side is not forcing either of my browsers to use the media player plug in - I could delve deeper but migth not be ideal for others tbh.

Is it encoded in H264 - might be able to try silverlight if it has.

Edited by MigBuster

MigBuster,

So are you saying you did see the F-100 and Super Sabre text at the top and bottom of the image?

No, it is not encoded as H264 as far as I know. I just rendered the movie (avi) to mp4 format from Sony Vegas Movie Studio and sent it to Dave. I also sent it to him in a DVD format, but I don't think he can use that on his website.

I can play the mp4 file fine from my hard drive using either Media Player or Quicktime. For some reason, Dave's upload is zoomed way in on the frames, and, there are no play/pause/stop controls at the bottom of the QuickTime window.

I suggested that he just list the original mp4 file on the website and let people right click on it to select their program of choice to play the movie. I would think that would work.

I just uploaded the movie to YouTube. I don't nkow if it will play to completion or be cut off at 15 minutes. I will know in a few more minutes. YouTube is processing the video as I write.

Bob

Yes it does looking again - never even noticed it :this:

Have updated QT also - no change.

On the server side you used to be able to only control these plugins properly from the server side - embed Javascript into the the actual web page with the required parameters if possible - sizes, aspect etc - should be info on the web.

Or - could try getting the file down in another format so it doesnt need to use Quicktime - because changing file associations, or disabling the plugin on the client side is not forcing either of my browsers to use the media player plug in - I could delve deeper but migth not be ideal for others tbh.

Is it encoded in H264 - might be able to try silverlight if it has.

MigBuster,

So are you saying you did see the F-100 and Super Sabre text at the top and bottom of the image?

No, it is not encoded as H264 as far as I know. I just rendered the movie (avi) to mp4 format from Sony Vegas Movie Studio and sent it to Dave. I also sent it to him in a DVD format, but I don't think he can use that on his website.

I can play the mp4 file fine from my hard drive using either Media Player or Quicktime. For some reason, Dave's upload is zoomed way in on the frames, and, there are no play/pause/stop controls at the bottom of the QuickTime window.

I suggested that he just list the original mp4 file on the website and let people right click on it to select their program of choice to play the movie. I would think that would work.

I just uploaded the movie to YouTube. I don't nkow if it will play to completion or be cut off at 15 minutes. I will know in a few more minutes. YouTube is processing the video as I write.

Bob

They are cut off as you say - well they appear to be cut off - some of the writing is cut off - would get a screen shot - but it takes 10 mins to download everytime I try to look at it.

No the zooming effect looks to me now how the page is embedded - we have no control it looks like on aspect ratio, zoom etc - so that probably needs to be done server side.

Depending on the software Dave had he could probably convert the mp4 or rip the DVD to other formats.

When the video does go up on Youtube - it should be fine because it will run in the browser in flash player (assuming it just converts it by default??) - which is pretty much the defacto video player for browsers.

I was just downloading the file from here http://combatace.com/uploads/gallery/album_591/gallery_230_591_169322648.mp4

but its got a 20minute download time - so im off to bed.

Migbuster

if I give you site admin rights you think you can work this for me? You know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Well ive had a quick look at the IPS boards but nothing obvious is springing out - if I wasnt doing this course I could spend some time on it.

Its probably best speaking to Erik - or the main server admin? - can he clarify if we can stick in javascript somewhere (or if its even supported) - If not are there any other tools that come with the server software to control embedded video a bit better?

I could have a look as admin - but I would just be hacking it at the mo.

Do you get a javascript pop up window?

Edited by MigBuster

Rar it and upload to one of those "sites" for file hosting,

or split it to 2 parts and upload to youtube.

Yes, the footage was from my F-100D in Vietnam. The 35th TFW had all D models in 1970.

There were a few C-models at Luke AFB where I went through training in 1969, but I cannot remember flying a C when I was at Luke.

Bob

Right so downloading it from here I can play it in Media Player and get everything:

http://combatace.com...1_169322648.mp4

So thats actual Nam footage you took yourself from an F-100D?

Hopefully, Dave will be able to get the video glitches worked out shortly so that all can view this as it was originally filmed.

In the meantime, for those who might be interested in a little background on how I made this movie, I have attached a document that provides some details.

Bob

Background on F-100 Movie Production, By Bob Ward-1.doc

I just viewed source and selected save target as for the .mp4 in the page source :p

SkateZilla,

Could you elaborate a little more on exactly what you did and what the result was?

Bob

I just viewed source and selected save target as for the .mp4 in the page source :p

Or you can click on the link that MigBuster kindly posted as that works a treat... especially for me watched it last night and I must say very well done... :clapping::drinks: