Sign in to follow this  
SirMike1983

Can't Play Anymore

I recently tried to start playing OFF again after a few months away from the game. However, I am no longer able to load the game up, even after reinstalling. I keep getting uisel.xml errors in workshop and when trying to load the game. When I try to reset the CFS3 files in workshop I get another error about the files being missing or corrupted. I tried a full reinstall of CFS3 and OFF and the problem is still happening. This game used to work fine, now when I come back to it, it no longer works at all. I'm running an administrator level account on Vista 64. I've tried compatability mode and all but still no luck. Any ideas on what this business is? It seems as if it's trying to access xmls in a folder that won't allow access almost?

Edited by SirMike1983

Okay I had this issue for awhile you need to uninstall everything including CFS3 then check that everything has been uninstalled there are a couple of folders that need removing as well in the my Doc's folder in your

C:\Users your name My Documents

Combat Flight Simulator 3.0

CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Once this has been done restart then reinstall from the beginning, I installed everything in the Program Files (x86) Folder. Before installing OFF run CFS3 once, install OFF update etc and all should be fine. I am running 64 bit as well... took me a couple of months to get it right... :good:

You mean "documents" or "my documents"? I can get into documents, but "my documents" I get a big red X error and "access denied" when I try to access that.

How did you get it into program files X86? The OFF installer did not give me an option for location of install.

Unless the software is "coded" for x86 install in a 64bit OS or program files for a 32bit OS, I do a dedicated install to the hd where all the programs are placed individually as their own directory, not in "program files" or "program files(x86). Makes troubleshooting program problems a breeze.

SirMike1983...It sounds like you're not running as administrator if your "my documents" is locked. You should only have a lock on the primary admin account when running as admin. All the files are then accessible.

plug_nickel

I think the permissions did get screwed up somehow. I'm using the take ownership menu command and it seems to allow me access to the folders now. I'm working on reinstalling it tonight.

Good to see you've got a handle on admin; bad that you have to go through the reinstall all over again.

I take it that you're not the only one using the pc, hence the reason(s) for not installing the OS with you as primary, or owner. Not having to go back and forth with admin login/permissions is so much simpler and cleaner for maintaining files, etc.

plug_nickel

Good to see you've got a handle on admin; bad that you have to go through the reinstall all over again.

I take it that you're not the only one using the pc, hence the reason(s) for not installing the OS with you as primary, or owner. Not having to go back and forth with admin login/permissions is so much simpler and cleaner for maintaining files, etc.

plug_nickel

I'm actually the sole user of this computer really. I turned off the UAC. The game used to work. I wonder why the permissions got messed up. In theory my account should have admin.

Strange that your admin went askew. Take a look under C Users and see if the primary follows Administrator. My primary is my initials as is my computer name. I have VMware_Admin, followed by Administrator then the Primary (using my initials) locked. You my not have anything before the Administrator folder if you're not running any virtual machines; they require admin rights so on my system, they're listed first.

Turning off UAC can be done only by Primary Owner. You may or may not have to go through a logon process to turn off UAC. It depends on how the OS was first installed. During the initial install of the OS, you can choose to setup as Administrator via login or a Primary where admin permission is automatic and further permission requests to change or alter any files or folders are not needed.

plug_nickel

C: Users has

invis: all users, default, default user

Non-invis (normal folders): guest, Mike, public

I think something with the permission was screwed up. I manually took ownership of the various folders needed for OFF and it appears (knock wood) it's back up and going. I downed a Fokker tonight in a campaign mission without techinical faults. (keeping fingers crossed).

That manual fix is not the best way to fix things. I had turned off UAC long ago and my account is listed as an "administrator level" account in the control panel. THe C:\users are as above described.

Edited by SirMike1983

Something is askew. The primary should follow Administrator and then default, guest, public. Since you're not running any "low level" admin accounts, ie, Vmware or...it should be:

Administrator

Mike

Public

Since you've got admin permissions working, I wouldn't worry about it until you eventually do a reformat and install of the OS.

plug_nickel