Sign in to follow this  
themightysrc

lost sound?

Hi all,

I've been having a problem of late - I've lost sound in OFF. I'm on XP 32 bit with SP3 installed, and when I run Windows with other stuff, it's fine, lots of lovely sound. When I run OFF, no miaow, no drum rolls, bugger all. And of course, in game sounds and effects have all gone too.

I'm tempted to ascribe the problem to svchost.exe, as it shows abnormally high levels of CPU use and needs killing to stop the PC grinding into the dirt. I've read that this dark, mysterious little piece of Micro$oft code can be used by other programs to launch Bad Stuff, and I suspect this is where the problem really lies, having read around the problem on t'internets. I run Malwarebytes Antimalware and Free AVG (both most current versions), but still the problem persists.

I should add that sound loss was intermittent, but now seems permanent (of late). TrackIR has also gone astray - on and off - so it's quite possible that the problem is manifesting itself here too.

Can anyone tell me if they've had similar/the same problems? If so, have you managed to resolve the problem, and, most importantly, how did you do it?

If any OFF mods are reading - is there anything in CFS3 I can check out, and have you seen this problem before - and a fix?

Cheers,

Si

Hi all,

I've been having a problem of late - I've lost sound in OFF. I'm on XP 32 bit with SP3 installed, and when I run Windows with other stuff, it's fine, lots of lovely sound. When I run OFF, no miaow, no drum rolls, bugger all. And of course, in game sounds and effects have all gone too.

I'm tempted to ascribe the problem to svchost.exe, as it shows abnormally high levels of CPU use and needs killing to stop the PC grinding into the dirt. I've read that this dark, mysterious little piece of Micro$oft code can be used by other programs to launch Bad Stuff, and I suspect this is where the problem really lies, having read around the problem on t'internets. I run Malwarebytes Antimalware and Free AVG (both most current versions), but still the problem persists.

I should add that sound loss was intermittent, but now seems permanent (of late). TrackIR has also gone astray - on and off - so it's quite possible that the problem is manifesting itself here too.

Can anyone tell me if they've had similar/the same problems? If so, have you managed to resolve the problem, and, most importantly, how did you do it?

If any OFF mods are reading - is there anything in CFS3 I can check out, and have you seen this problem before - and a fix?

Cheers,

Si

One CFS3-related thing that is worth trying is the game's keystroke that turns the sound off. - Q i think it may be, or maybe it was S? I've hit it by accident and then wondered why CFS3 had gone quiet, till I remembered that MS had put this daft keystroke in the game. Probably not your issue if you don't even get the miaow, but worth a try.

Edit - just looked at the CFS3 keymap chart and Q is 'Sound (toggle)'

Edited by 33LIMA

Hi Lima,

Cheers for that - something I'd completely forgotten. I mean: why would you actually want to disable all sound in a flight combat sim? Bonkers.

I'll check it anyway - thanks again.

Si

Nope,

Sound still AWOL. There's something else going on - any and all offers of help accepted. I'm desperate to fix this.

Cheers,

Si

Strange one, this. Wonder if it could be a DirectX problem. Maybe try running dxdiag, I recall the DirectX diagnostic tool has a 'sound' tab with a couple of little tests in it, if you can't hear the sound play (sort of birds chirping), there's a prob. Maybe just go straight to re-installing DirectX, latest version.

Hi Lima,

I've deleted Firefox off the PC, and apparently that's sorted it - I can only assume that Firefox was harbouring or harnessing something unwholesome. I'm now using IE, and although I'm getting the occasional annoying window 'hijack' taking me to some crap money advice site, etc, sound's apparently back in OFF.

On to my next problem......see the newest thread!

Cheers,

Si