Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

Engine Manual Start

This is silly, but I've searched these forums up and down and cant' find an answer. When I have an engine failure the sim tells me to try a manual start. But how in the world do I do one?

I had to do it in the middle of a mission one time Javito so I hit F2 and searched it. It was rather complicated but it did work and I was able to get my crate going again. I can't remember what search term I used but it is in there.

Edited by Shiloh

This is silly, but I've searched these forums up and down and cant' find an answer. When I have an engine failure the sim tells me to try a manual start. But how in the world do I do one?

Javito1986,

I rremember seeing this somewhere in the past, but I fear it was something that UncleAl posted, and which has now been deleted.

Hopefully someone else has the information, as I would also be interested.

You have to get out and swing the prop.

Or press "E" - doesn't that do it?

Javito, you have to switch on your magnetos, Control+M; set your throttle at about half; set your fuel mixture to full rich, Control+Shift+F7; and crank the engine, Control+S. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, just like in RL. :smile:

Oh, and if it does start you have to quickly fiddle with throttle and mixture adjustments to keep it running.

MWA HA HAHA HA HAHAHA that did it.

Lou you just saved my pilot, was able to start the engine again and return to my side of the line ;-)

Javito, that had to be the longest dead stick glide in the history of OFF. Up at 18,000 feet were we? :grin:

Here it is:

manualrestart.jpg

Edit: Dang your quick Lou!

Edited by Shiloh

I had the sim paused while I researched how to bloody well do a manual start. We need to get some stickies back up around here, not having that information handy is downright perilous!

<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>p.s. There is no sweeter sound in the world than that engine kicking in and saving your ass. This'll make a great 'Reports from the Front' later</div>

Edited by Javito1986

Yes, I assumed as much Javito. I was making a vain attempt at humour.

...hee hee hee...

"Complicated Entente craft! Huh!

I only need to press "E", and vrrrrrrroummmmm!!!!! - the Mercedes is running!"

Actually mein freund, you can use the same trick on your fine Mercedes when it doesn't wish to start after being hammered by one of our complicated Entente craft. :grin:

I'm manually starting my engine from now on. 'E' key is for chumps, plus it's not reliable. I've made a lot of forced landings in the past and wasn't able to get it back up again because the autostart was failing on me. Who knows how many pilots I could have saved from becoming POWs if I'd known how to manually start their engines? May not have always worked on the really shot up ones, but it sure saved my caboose today.

I believe I only took two bullets in the oil reservoir, was surprised when I started having engine trouble. Was I maybe leaking oil? Is there a way to check engine oil levels like there is with fuel?

I'm manually starting my engine from now on. 'E' key is for chumps, plus it's not reliable.

With due respect, Javito, the 'E' key is not for chumps, it's just your choice not to use it. Each to his own :salute:.

Javito, you can tell your engine is running low on oil when you find yourself wiping it off your goggles less frequently.

:grin:

With due respect, Javito, the 'E' key is not for chumps, it's just your choice not to use it. Each to his own :salute:.

Duly noted Tranquilo, no disrespect was intended. We all know you can kill me without batting an eye... heat.gif

Hihihi - here you are, Javito - never insult battle proven pilots!

Well, actually, the "E" key is the more practical variant, but I understand, that you want to simulate

the whole process more, I guess; and I tell you what - I'll try it next time, just to have done it.

(I don't believe though I'd remember it in trouble - I'd have to stick a copy to my instrument board).

gotta try this......punched the E key till I augered in w/ a dud mill too many times.............great thread! thanks

Duly noted Tranquilo, no disrespect was intended. We all know you can kill me without batting an eye... heat.gif

Fear not, I know you meant no disrespect and I use my real-life skills for defense only but should we meet in the OFF world all bets are off (pun intended) :minigun::grin:

It's gone midnight here in the UK and I'm supposed to be taking my wife out to dinner tomorrow so I'd better go to bed.

Being lazy, I ve used the E key. I angle down in a glide with the motor off then E Key at 3000ft and most of the time the prop turns and the motor starts.:cool:

Edited by carrick58

I see many Barmy Offers use 'E'?

Cmon thats far too sane!

:no:

WM

Cmon thats far too sane!

WM

for some time i used voice command with stuff like "contact" and "anwerfen" for starting the engine and all other apropriate startup commands. that's probably barmy enough. but then i stopped it because of the occasional strange look of my wive :grin: .

When on the ground, I always use manual start; however, I must confess that I also use the "E" to try and restart when in the air.

I simply haven't found a mechanic that will ride with me to spin the prop when that situation arises. I believe it has something to do with not being able to leverage the prop properly while in even a shallow dive.

plug_nickel

Cmon thats far too sane!

WM

Yeah, nobody is perfectly barmy, I guess, Winder. But yesterday, I had two big pieces of plum cake

with lots of whipped cream on top during my morning patrol, incl. a mug of freshly brewed coffee.

All like being served by some angel flying next to me Albatros.

I tried to fly on without pausing, while I ate it, and ended up with cream on my "goggles".

Now, how barmy is that?