Sign in to follow this  
ace888

A New way of saying Hi, how are ya?

Mainland fighter crossed Taiwan Strait meridian in June

172515534371.gifA USAF U-2 plane, which conducted reconnaissance missions in the Taiwan Strait in late June, was chased by two mainland Chinese Su-27s. (Courtesy of USAF)

A mainland Chinese fighter jet crossed the median line in the Taiwan Strait in late June while attempting to chase off a U.S. Air Force U-2 reconnaissance plane on a monitoring mission in the region, according to foreign sources.

In response, the ROC Air Force quickly dispatched two F-16 fighters to the area, at which point the mainland Su-27 fighter returned to the mainland side of the median line, the sources said.

The ROC military, which closely monitored the whole course of events as they unfolded, determined the incident to be an isolated case. Afterwards, it notified the Presidential Office of the incident.

Fan Chiang Tai-chi, spokesman for the office, said the Ministry of National Defense handled the matter based on established formulas.

MND spokesman Lo Shao-ho pointed out that Taiwan’s military has the ability to effectively monitor the activities of mainland military aircraft.

“The military deals immediately with any unusual situation according to standard procedures, to safeguard Taiwan’s air space,” Lo explained.

According to the sources, the incident occurred while the U-2 aircraft was flying from the U.S. Air Force’s Osan Air Base in South Korea to Kadena Air Base in the Japanese prefecture of Okinawa.

The U.S. Air Force reportedly informed the Taiwan side in advance of the monitoring mission, whose route passed through Taiwan’s air defense identification zone. (SB)

Sweet! I'm glad that bird made it through ok. After 50+ years it's nice to see this bird still gently kicking ass just like it always has.

Sweet! I'm glad that bird made it through ok. After 50+ years it's nice to see this bird still gently kicking ass just like it always has.

I doubt the Chinese would have tried to shoot it down.

No they like to crash into them and get them to force land in China... :blink:

Edited by Slartibartfast

No they like to crash into them and get them to force land in China... :blink:

And why would China risk an international incident? American fighters intercept Russian bombers all the time.

And why would China risk an international incident? American fighters intercept Russian bombers all the time.

Was refering to the collision between an EP-3E and a Chines F-8 a couple of years back...

We owe a lot of $ to China why would they shoot somthing down that they may eventually own. Its all a game I am not worried about China and Russia its the terrorists and religous extremests that I worry about.

Was refering to the collision between an EP-3E and a Chines F-8 a couple of years back...

couple wasn't that like 10 years ago.

Also don't Americans go to China for Holidays and sightseeing trips, and the same for the people of China. Its just our pig/thick headed govts that get in the way. Imagine the US and China(and all other super powers) working together for space exploration and cures for diseases.

Edited by MAKO69