Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Making campaigns for FE & FE2?

Can't find a campaign-making tutorial for any of the SF series, here or on TW, so here goes.

The stock FE campaigns seem to consist of precisely 1 file which has a ref to a campaign_data .ini file which I can't find and is obviously only part of the set. A look at a user-made campaign shows a larger set of files including that data.ini file but even then it's less than immediately obvious how it goes together.

What I'd like to do is create campaigns for one or more specific squadrons, designed to enable you to fly with it from say late 1916 to war end and move when it moves, change planes when it changes. Similar to OFF which does this, or RB3d which did it with a date-driven 'user unofficial patch'. Granted such campaigns would not be much use for flying with other squadrons but they could be 'cloned' for them eg Jasta 11, Jasta 2, 56 Sqn. First subjects would be:

- 46 Sqn RFC, inspired by AG Lee's book 'No Parachute'; an interesting transition from 2-seaters (Nieuport 12s, could use Spephen1918's upcoming N.10 or if all else fails a Strutter) then Pups then Camels; and

- Jasta 5, starting around Verdun with Albatros/Halberstadt DIIs in late 1916, then moving North and onto DIIIs and DVs, then to Fokker DVIIs, maybe some time on DR1s or Pfalzs.

I think I may have seen an airfield change in FE1, but not sure (it certainly wasn't exactly trumpeted!); I don't believe it can handle aircraft 'upgrades' tho. Anyways, the plan is to break each campaign into a series of successive phases, with a new one each time either aircraft or base changes. That way, I could can use the campaign start screen to give the player a decent indication of what happened and make a visible event out of the upgrade/base change, adding a sense of time passing and things progressing. Might also have to introduce a break for a major event in between such changes eg major battle opening. Segmenting it like that could also mean that famous aces could come and go in the roster, albeit not strictly historically. A Jasta 11 campaign could be based around the comings and goings of MvR as well as changes to planes and bases, a Jasta 2 campaign similarly around the arrival and departure of Boelcke and his successors.

Motivation is that I would like to fly campaigns in FE/FE2 that enabled you to enlist with a famous squadron and fly with it longer-term than just one battle, changing planes with the times. Careers rather than campaigns I suppose you could describe it. Not sure how well it would work but would like to find out, starting with some research into the above units and trying to find my way around the FE/SF campaign system - hence this post!

there used to be a tutorial in the old 1st KB ... but I couldn't find it!! maybe shoot a PM to Baltika, he was prett good at building campaigna. The campain (pun in intended) inis should be pretty similiar between the series

OK thanks for the tip. I can probably learn a lot just by studying the files for other home-made campaigns and a lot of trail and error, but it would certainly speed things up if I could get some hints and tips - will try Baltika and maybe Firecage - thanks again!