Sign in to follow this  
franceschi

Sources and references for Jet Thunder.

Hi. I would like to see listed in your website (Jet Thunder), a list of sources (books, dvd's, web pages, etc.) and references that you are using for Jet Thunder. I think it will be the best for anyone that wants to help you to know which sources you have already checked. For example with your new request about HMS Invincible. Thanks.

If anyone wants to put some kind of list in this post, it will be appreciated too...

i was waiting for dante to reply because hes the sort of center of our organisation - he has become the sort of grand supreme leader in all this :)

S! to dante

anyway he has all the information, and has organised its gathering. We've had an argentinian whos been ferreting about the argie airforce gathering stuff. so we have now got some good sources including tremendously cockpit photos taken for the purpose. We've also got flight manuals for several of the planes.

I know we have got the Flight Manual for the Mirrage3 so accuracy here should be assured.

I'm not quite certain but I think we've also got flight manuals for the etendard and the skyhawk. Though i'm not certain.

What has proven difficult to obtain is a flight manual for the sea harrier fsr1. We really need this otherwise we'll be mainly educated guessing based on accounts -

for example Sea Harrier over the Falklands - from that book you can sort of at least discern the functionality and capabilities of the sea harrier avionics. Also we assume that HUD symbology will be similar to HUD symbology of other british fighters - so we can lift that from the Tornado which we do have some sources on.

Ideally though we need to get an FM otherwise the sea harrier will have to be realism patched some future date - still though - if we are finding it hard to get the Flight Manual for the sea harrier - then perhaps it will be hard for forum people to say we got it wrong. sort of like i suppose, belief in god - because you cant prove there isnt one...

...this is how the harrier really is - prove us wrong! and please do! :) LOL.

Thanks for the update...

If i may...

I would recommend the book by Ruben Oscar Moro (C-130 pilot in 1982) titled "The South Atlantic Conflict, the War for th Malvinas" (pub. Praeger NY) and "La Guerra Inaudita, Historia del Conflicto del Atlantico Sur" 11a edicion (pub. Edivem).

It is a very thourough work on the conlfict on all aspects, diplomatic and military, and provides an independant look, although leaning towards the argentinean version of the story, of course. It provides a thorough research and analysis of the conflict with an emphasis on the british government cover-ups of the argentinean Air Force and Naval Wing successes against capital ships like the Invincible and even the Hermes (some sort of conspiracy theory. lol). Worth reading for those tired of the british and argentinean official versions... because this one gives a whole new different approach to the mysteries of this conflict.

Edited by Mothman

I have piles of info spread through magazines, books, flight manuals and .html/.doc files. It will take a while to catalog all these and post here.

But the major sources are a 80's enciclopedia released in Brazil called "Aviões de Guerra" (War Planes or something, translating) it has no international publishing as far as I know but is really in-depth and accurate regarding that conflict - I will scan some pages in a few days to post here as example, I think there is no probs.

I also have the book on the Harrier by Bill Gunston which I'm using right now because it has a rather decent photo of the Sea Harrier FRS.1 cockpit as it was in the beggining of the 80's. And of course I have "Sea Harrier Over The Falklands" book.

From time to time, brazilian press issues an article about the Falklands war in the aviation magazines here (particularly "Revista Força Aérea") they did superb articles about Skyhawks and Mirages in the conflict as well as they did a full article inside HMS Invincible were one of the pilots who write for the magazine, got a ride in a two-seats Harrier.

I will list some of the references later.

But the major sources are a 80's enciclopedia released in Brazil called "Aviões de Guerra" (War Planes or something, translating) it has no international publishing as far as I know but is really in-depth and accurate regarding that conflict - I will scan some pages in a few days to post here as example, I think there is no probs.

I have that same collection in spanish. As far as i know it was published in Spain and exported to latin america. Great collection, btw. I can see it in my bookshelf from here, while i'm typing. It lacks the latest aircraft and technologies, but still is a great source about aircraft active in the 80's.