Sign in to follow this  
Dave

I Figured This Was Going to Happen

I know its already been said but without TWS then the F-14 really offers nothing more than the F-4. TWS is fundamental to operating the F-14, I knew this wasn't going to be Fleet Defender 2, but without TWS I just dont see the point.

Craig

Yep if the avionics are not improved meaning the tomcat cant fight like a tomcat... cruise missiles are not target-able and there is no improvement in naval battle/ surface warfare capability the only thing that I would buy this for would be the new terrain engine. I really doubt that TK's version of the tomcat will be better than the new Mirage factory F-14... perhaps a better flight model... maybe.

Guest BeachAV8R
I know a new version of the big Desert Storm package is in the works and I fully intend to review it on our site when it''s done. Having played the first one, I'm not BS'ing when I say that I'd have paid $30 for that thing and not even blinked. The quality was THAT good.

Really? Is there a discussion thread on the in development Desert Storm package? Yummy. :dance2:

Really? Is there a discussion thread on the in development Desert Storm package? Yummy. :dance2:

No we are working on it in the shadows. Its been a huge task converting it to SF2 format. Eburger has done amazing stuff.

Who knows the awesomeness of the DS mod update that lurks in the hard drives of its modders?

The Shadow knows.

Oh, and the modders. Since they're doing it, obviously.

The lack of the AWG-9's Phoenix-specific modes would be disappointing, but not a showstopper. Fleet Defender was great in its day, but as noted TK doesn't have cruise missiles as something you could attack with other missiles anyway. So you'd only be able to go after the bombers and I can target, fire, and retarget PDQ on my own.

Unless for some reason my financial situation would preclude it, I'll get Tomcat whatever it does or doesn't have. Only if it fails to meet my expectations in pretty much all areas would I reconsider buying future TW sims. At this point we know TK's game, literally and figuratively. We know how he does things and while the expansions-cum-DLC is a slight change, the path has stayed pretty steady. We know no new title differs signficantly from the one before, only in details, and it's those details we enjoy. If you've grown disillusioned with TK since he started the SF2 project of rereleases, the only major thing Tomcat will offer is a new terrain (not done since WOI's release) and plane, which likely won't alter your opinion much. Every other thing is a smaller detail that you may or may not care about, so don't expect the world.

either stand alone or as DLC I'll get it, simple as it is. I somehow tied my life, my activities with the series, this great community of ours and the man himself for the past 6 years. It's a hobby, addictive one. I really don't need military-grade AWG-9 fidelity to enjoy it, I know many would like to, but let's face it, TK's approach (deliberately!) is quite different than that of Eagle Dynamics or... ummm... that would be only one competitor past ~1970s jet planes currently on the market.

Side note: TK really really needs some advertising on the net, typical response among RL flight simmers I know, active for past 10-15 years is "Strike Fighters? Never heard of..."

Edited by Stary

Side note: TK really really needs some advertising on the net, typical response among RL flight simmers I know, active for past 10-15 years is "Strike Fighters? Never heard of..."

Yeah this is somewhat true too, but also TK's games are in somewhat of a limbo...

They are not hard core enough for the hard core(Falcon, LockOn) and not flashy and arcady enough for the arcade(AceCombat, HawX etc.).

So in the end it simply does not turn enough heads from either camp.

Me for example I was a hard core WW2-style online combat nutcase, that surely does not fit anywhere in TK concept but quite honestly back at the time I was just looking a game that would be able to display me going mach 1+ at like 50m from the ground with more than 30fps and that was what I found in the first SF release but it only lasted for some limited time(not much mods back then or any idea of what will it become).

Oh and I found out about SF on SimHQ I'm pretty sure about that...

But anyway I think TK should focus on one aspect of the game as it's major selling point, since making it flashy like HawX would require too much money and considering the focus of his game to still-love-the-guns-cause-missiles-still-miss I think best way would be to go somewhere(not everywhere as that also costs a lot) in realism realm.

For example why not focusing on high fidelity flight models? Streakeagle showed even back in the day just how VERY realistic they can be, why not working on that?

On hard flight models in the game are already quite well made but HC people still say they are arcadish mostly because they have never read that they are very realistic 'cause quite honestly how would our average Joe know if it's realistic or not? I can tell you if drive simulator of a 15-years old Opel Astra is well made but I have 0 idea about how anything other than paper planes flew :lol:

So basically looking at Il-2 and lockon you need two things:

- insert some fancy features(engine flameout, advanced spins and stalls, recent addition of WEP damage by TK was exactly in that direction, engine off/on, maybe more oil, temperature,rpm features but nothing too complicated, like I said just for the show not to kill the game too much)

- number two is optional but also good, get a real former(or present) pilot to say something like ("I had the chills, it feels like the real thing!") because those games do that to further emphesize just how great of a job they did even if they did not lol

And in the end stop being shy about having something more advanced in your game WTF is up with that? We don't want to chase away casual players(whatever that means, I play 15-30mins a day if I'm lucky lol)?

To sum it up(anybody still reading this? :lol: ) he should maybe try to focus on one thing he might be able to do that will enable him to enter the "forbbiden zone" of either camp(arcade or HC).

So you don't have the $$$ for flashy graphics, campaigns with lot's of animations and movie style story-telling?

No $$$ for complicated switchology everybody will hate after their 18th crash?

Then go with the BOOOM - "Strike Fighters 2 - most advanced F-4 Phantom flight simulator ever(probably already is so but you can't read that anywhere)". flashy sign, some pilot quote like I said maybe etc....

This way he only collects "Innocent wanderers" which is not bad, but if you want to expand, you have to make a step in one direction, standing in place...never changed anything.

Well maybe we ought to tip off Rockpapershotgun or other big blogs when F-14 nears completion.

• Like 1

EricJ and others like C5 made few very good reviews on other blogs in the past, maybe we should do part of the viral marketing ourselfs?

@Brain32: I agree with most of your post, FM is there, maybe more advanced engine simulation like mentioned flameouts (Mig Alley had it done well... some 12 years ago) and such, stalls, spins are quite ok now as these are, but that's part of the (good IMO) FM, what SF lacks is the ground/naval warfare part, maybe some bit refined carrier ops too for Tomcat (or Linebackers) (I still can't shake off that poor catapult guy I sucked into engine in Digital Integration's Super Hornet, again 10 years old title)

interesting article. funny pics. cna Wrench build the Libyan Kitten Sanctuary? :grin:

Guest Pfunk

I'm not really bothered by avionics as they are envisioned at this point. I wish TK luck.

No we are working on it in the shadows.

i thought super ninja modders didnt tell what they were doing until release like with SF2 Falklands :ninja:

Honestly, how difficult would it be to implement an upgrade to TWS that allows the tomcat to lock up 6 targets and then fire on them... how difficult would it be to make certain missiles target-able... how difficult would it be to allow ships to have more than one type of missile launcher.... how dificult would it be to update the guns data to have the ability to assign a trajectory if it was desired for naval combat and artillery.

Really how much would it cost? Sounds more like an investment of time to me.

Dave's right... I had really high hopes for this but in the back of my mind I kind of knew it was going to turn out half-assed.

It's funny to me because I devote 110% to all of the projects I am working on in my life I push myself relentlessly and kick my own ass to do the best job I can with the resources I can bring to bear... it's a labor of love.

I never take the easy way out, I don't make excuses, I just keep plugging away until I get it right and get it done

TK has a great product that needs improvement and he seems to lack the vision to see what Strike fighters could be if he continued to develop the game play and modern terrain engine rather than bringing out some new DLC planes or more of the same with a dated terrain engine. Every thing else about the game is top notch - The recycling needs to stop.

You guys can continue to kiss his ass if you want.... but I'm not impressed with his vision(or lack of it). He's like the little engine that can't.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

This has probably been answered and discussed before, but amuse me. Why hasn't Thirdwire partnered up with Steam? Seems to me to be a natural way to increase sales, and Steam works with tons of smaller developers.

I think steam takes 50% of the $ from sales and leaves 50% to the dev. I guess it's better for TK to sell less but to take whole profit...

Edited by SFP1Ace

Guys don't speculate too much. F-14 is going to rule. :declare:

Guys don't speculate too much. F-14 is going to rule. :declare:

Don't blame the other posters....it's all Dave's fault. He's always the source of negative rumors around here. That's why we often refer to him as "the old washer woman" behind his back :yikes:

Blow me Ed...... :lol:

I just stated what TK said, you all speculated the rest.....

Haha, funny :)

All we need now is TK posting a "you've been rick rolled" link here.

Ooooooooook things are gettin' a bit weird here :rofl: