Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Lack of Ideas

:grin: Just saw a Trailer from Lucas Arts for a WWII war film. Seems they patched together the old Tuskegee air film and added CGI dogfight scenes, It may be they also threw in the cuts from the the old film. Hollyweirds lack of ideas and show me the money attitude is taking the Art of Film to a new low. Oh the film is called Red Tails and will be out in 2012.

It looks like a new version - couldn't detect old scenes.

But you're right, they often warm up old stews.

Why did they not make a film about the "Black Sheep" around "Pappy" Boyington?

isn't there a tv series exactly about the black sheep and pappy boyington? i remember such tv show from the late 80ies or early 90ies in german tv but can't remember the name of it. :dntknw:

It looks like a new version - couldn't detect old scenes.

But you're right, they often warm up old stews.

I just saw a History Channel show on the Black Sheep squadron and many of the original members were put off by the way they were depicted in the 1970's TV series where they were often branded as misfits and drunks. It was loosely based on the actual squadron, but a new movie that accurately portrays this storied squadron would be most welcome. Link to TV show on Wiki.

Edited by Shiloh

isn't there a tv series exactly about the black sheep and pappy boyington?

i remember such tv show from the late 80ies or early 90ies in german tv but can't remember the name of it.

That's correct; there was a TV series, Creaghorn - here it is:

But as Shiloh said, that was the typical "no-good-for-anything-else-but combat-pilot" sort of series.

Edited by Olham

When it comes to politically incorrect, Greg 'Pappy" Boyington pretty much covered all the bases all by himself. When you read his autobiography you find he didn't even like himself. But, with that said he was a larger than life individual and I think if nothing else the television series down played his exploits. I knew an old Marine F4U pilot that trained with Boyington and my have even run across him in the Pacific that had nothing good to say about him. Would I have liked to meet him, you bet.

The series was called Baa Baa Black Sheep. It is available through Netflix.

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

When it comes to war films they seldom get it right. I hold-on to hopes that Peter Jackson will make some fine WWI aviation films featuring good acting, good writing and those beautiful replica birds being built and amassed in New Zealand.

When it comes to politically incorrect, Greg 'Pappy" Boyington pretty much covered all the bases all by himself. When you read his autobiography you find he didn't even like himself. But, with that said he was a larger than life individual and I think if nothing else the television series down played his exploits. I knew an old Marine F4U pilot that trained with Boyington and my have even run across him in the Pacific that had nothing good to say about him. Would I have liked to meet him, you bet.

The series was called Baa Baa Black Sheep. It is available through Netflix.

Beard

I've got a book "Memories of a Black Sheep Squadron Fighter Pilot" by one of the pilots from VMF-214 (Frederick Losch, callsign "Rope Trick") that says pretty much the same thing. In the intro to his book Losch starts by saying "I'm sick of so-called historians writing articles about WW II that are error filled...especially those relating to the famed Black Sheep Squadron. I hope to correct some of them. You see, I WAS THERE."

Unfortunately, there are no more first hand interviews to be had of WW I personnel and the key players in WW II are also mostly gone, and those who remain are going at an accellerated rate. That means we'll soon have nothing to rely on but the error filled articles written by so-called historians.

Unfortunately, there are no more first hand interviews to be had of WW I personnel and the key players in WW II

are also mostly gone, and those who remain are going at an accellerated rate.

That means we'll soon have nothing to rely on but the error filled articles written by so-called historians.

You forget all the stuff they have left for us, if we only look, Jarhead.

Manfred von Richthofen, Mannock, Udet and many other WW I flyers have written books;

as well as Erich Hartmann, Adolf Galland and several other WW II aces have done.

From the WW II pilots, many interviews were caught on film.

The problem is not a lack of historically correct material - the problem are authors, producers and directors,

who give a damn about all the available facts, and prefer to glue together their own crumpled model of it.

The youngest example may be the American-German movie "Der Rote Baron", which had almost nothing

to do with the real life of Manfred von Richthofen.

With the money invested, it could have been made a very good film - the flying scenes alone show that.

If they had only got the available men with the historical and technical knowledge involved.

Edited by Olham

A remake of "Black Sheep Squadron"? Well, I just can imagine what a modern Hollywood remake of "Hogan's Heroes" could look like, with CGI and very expensive FX, with Peter Jackson as a director, and John Goodman as Sergeant Schultz, and some Affleck as Colonel Hogan... It would be... It would be... well, appalling, I suppose so!