Sign in to follow this  
BobWard

F-100 Combat Film Merged With SF2V

This topic was originally posted on another thread, but we were having some trouble getting the movie to play correctly without clipping off a lot of the image frames. So I have now posted the movie to a video hosting website that should let you view the movie (with no image clipping) while it is downloading, i.e., no 15 minute wait to download the file - it starts playing the moment you click the Play icon. I think you may need "Flash" to play the movie, but I assume most of you have that on your computer.

Some background:

I recently put together a movie using some of my gun and belly camera film from my F-100 combat missions in Vietnam. I merged this film into flight scenes that I set up in SF2V. It includes some of my actual radio calls during missions and also includes a complete music soundtrack.

The movie shows an F-100 mission from start-up, taxi, takeoff, enroute to target, ordinance delivery and return to base. The flight scenes show an F-100 rolling in on a target and releasing ordinance, at which point the movie transitions to the actual combat footage and follows the ordinance to impact. I produced the movie with Sony Vegas Movie Studio. The movie is about 24 minutes long.

I think the simulated flight scenes show how well SF2V merges in with the real thing. I set-up all the SF2V flight simulations to match the weapons load-out that I was delivering in the actual combat film.

Here is the link for the movie. Watch in HD if your computer and Internet connection will support it without stuttering. I tried the link and it works for me. However, I got some micro-stutters when I went to full-screen mode. It did run smooth in the smaller window that opens up when you select the link below. Experiment with your computer and see what runs the smoothest.

http://vimeo.com/bobward/f-100-combat-film-captiain-bob-ward-vietnam-1970

Hope you enjoy it.

Bob Ward

Edited by BobWard
  • Like 3

Great footage, great story. Bad luck with Napalm tanks?

It seems, one wich ignited midair and the one wich fell into the channel. It would be worse being on the recieving end, however.

Edited by macelena

I think the mid-air nap ignition got hit by some small arms fire just as it came off the wing. We were always flying down in that envelope with naps and high drag bombs.

There was also a small explosion in front of my nose on the first strafing scene. I think that was also a "golden BB" from small arms fire that collided with one of my 20mm HEI rounds and blew it up. The bad guys were always firing out in front of us in hopes that we would fly through the bullet pattern and take a hit. My room-mate got shot down by small arms fire and he had to punch out over enemy territory. He landed in the top of some dense jungle tree folaige. The VC could not see where he was from the ground, so they started spraying the trees with machine gun fire in hopes of hitting him. They called in some more close air support and got the bad guys suppressed long enough to get a chopper in to pick him up.

Bob

Great footage, great story. Bad luck with Napalm tanks?

It seems, one wich ignited midair and the one wich fell into the channel. It would be worse being on the recieving end, however.

finally got to see it! Great work on the video. And special thanks for listing the music; I recognized most but couldn't place the source (I collect soundtracks)

Thank You!

wrench

kevin stein

Sir thank you for sharing this. It is a great video. :salute:

Falcon

Edited by FalconC45

I was wondering if its ok to put up the link on my facebook page.

Falcon

Well that solve tha tproblem of my meager non happening AV skills.....

:yikes::salute:

Falcon,

I don't see any problem from my end with putting the link on your Facebook page. I assume that Vimeo will work ok in that regard.

Bob

I was wondering if its ok to put up the link on my facebook page.

Falcon

Nice video really liked it a lot. Thanks :good:

Have a question. Now since you are probably the only one who have flown a real F-100 in this forum. Is the performance of the game F-100 matching the real figures?? I have always loved to fly this bird in the game. And I think its a greatly underrated Fighter which deserves more credit than it gets

Edited by hgbn

Awesome job, with a big historical interest.

Thank you so much for sharing this film ! :cool:

Good choice for Vimeo, it works just fine in HD! :good:

Falcon,

I don't see any problem from my end with putting the link on your Facebook page. I assume that Vimeo will work ok in that regard.

Bob

OK Cool. Just wanted to ask your permission first.

Falcon

Well, it has been 40 years since I flew the F-100, but the one in SF2V seems a little underpowered. Seems to bleed airspeed to fast in pull-ups and turns. I find that I am having to use AB a lot to keep my airspeed where I want it to be in the sim. I don't remember having to use the burner that much in the real Super Sabre.

Bob

Nice video really liked it a lot. Thanks :good:

Have a question. Now since you are probably the only one who have flown a real F-100 in this forum. Is the performance of the game F-100 matching the real figures?? I have always loved to fly this bird in the game. And I think its a greatly underrated Fighter which deserves more credit than it gets

Great movie!

The anecdotes about small arms fire are amazing :good:

Well, it has been 40 years since I flew the F-100, but the one in SF2V seems a little underpowered. Seems to bleed airspeed to fast in pull-ups and turns. I find that I am having to use AB a lot to keep my airspeed where I want it to be in the sim. I don't remember having to use the burner that much in the real Super Sabre.

Bob

Thanks Bob :good:

I think the mid-air nap ignition got hit by some small arms fire just as it came off the wing. We were always flying down in that envelope with naps and high drag bombs.

There was also a small explosion in front of my nose on the first strafing scene. I think that was also a "golden BB" from small arms fire that collided with one of my 20mm HEI rounds and blew it up. The bad guys were always firing out in front of us in hopes that we would fly through the bullet pattern and take a hit. My room-mate got shot down by small arms fire and he had to punch out over enemy territory. He landed in the top of some dense jungle tree folaige. The VC could not see where he was from the ground, so they started spraying the trees with machine gun fire in hopes of hitting him. They called in some more close air support and got the bad guys suppressed long enough to get a chopper in to pick him up.

Bob

It´s a miracle you and your companions made it through so much lead flying, Hats off.

Bob

Looks like it time to open the data.ini and get some work done. Bob can you test what I get my FM person to tweak? Im a Hun fan too and would like it to fly more like you said it really did.

Dave,

It's been a long time! Not sure I could give you anything very reliable on performance in the real plane vs SF2V.

I do still have my F-100 flight manual (T.O. 1F-100D(I)-1), but it does not have all the flight performance charts that you would need to completely update the flight model. I would assume that TK would have used such detailed charts when he set up the original FM for the F-100.

You might ask some of your contacts at Wright Patt if they could find a copy of T.O. 1F-100A-1-1. That may be the manual that has all the detailed performance charts for the F-100.

I have a "Flight Characteristics" section in my -1, but I don't think it is as detailed as what you would need for the FM update. I could scan some of those pages if you would like to look at them.

Bob

Good idea, I will head to the museum and talk to the research people and see what I can get out of them......

Bob

Cool - was hoping it wasnt as bad as depicted in SF2 in certain areas.

MigBuster,

Don't despair. In my opinion, the real F-100 was much more robust than the one in SF2. I remember it as being a very agile bird, with better acceleration than exhibited by the SF2 version. It also had good roll and turning characteristics.

One downside was the "mushing" tendency when pulling out of a dive. I think a lot of the Century series fighters had this characteristic, maybe even modern day fighters. That led to a few (3 or 4) pilots in our wing (during my SEA tour in 1970) scrapping the trees on pulloffs from low altitude deliveries (15-degree dive angles with naps and high drag bombs).

It also had a tendancy to compressor stall if you lit the AB with a high G-load - I have seen fire shoot out the air intake on the nose of the plane - happened to me one evening just as it was getting dark. In addition to the flame out of the nose, you get quite a thump on the cockpit floor when the compressor stall occurs. Just pulled the throttle out of AB and back towards idle and the engine spooled right back up

Bob

Cool - was hoping it wasnt as bad as depicted in SF2 in certain areas.

Thanks Bob - Interesting and fascinating information on the F-100 - guess TK needs a slight FM revision with this bird.

In game its certainly one of the most challenging to fly - particularly A-A missions.

On that basis I would be compressor stalling into the ground in most fights!

Was it a J-57-p21 and was the engine upgraded during your time to rectify this slight issue - or was it common with early turbo jets?

MigBuster,

I have attached a page from my -1 which includes a Caution note on the AB operation and compressor stalls. This note makes no mention of high-G loads when engaging AB but if my memory serves me right, I always remember being a little cautious when lighting the AB under high-Gs, if possible, unload the plane for just a second until you got a light, then resume back pressure and hang on. High-G compressor stalls may have had something to do with slightly disrupted intake airfow at high angles of attack. However, there is some text at the bottom of the attached page that cautions against lighting the burner at the full throttle position. Seems like I always remember pulling the throttle back slightly before slecting AB. So it may have been a throttle position issue more than G-load.

The instance that I previously described with the fire shooting out the nose was a night re-fueling mission. No reason there to be doing high-G turns. Seems like my wingman & I went to burner to catch up with the tanker before we lost sight in a slightly overcast sky. So in that case, I was probably straight and level and the nozzles did not open when I selected AB, resulting in the compressor stall.

It was not something that happened all the time, even with G-loads, just once in a while.

I don't remember any info on the engines, although some of the text in the attachment makes reference to the J57-21A/21 engines. I do not remember ever hearing of a fix to eliminate this problem in the F-100.

Bob

F-100 AB Caution.pdf

Edited by BobWard

Great stuff - thanks for that - and I note the amount of Cautions in the text!

I think seeing the fire coming out of the nose would have been pretty alarming! - so basically you just reduced throttle to idle, and the engine spooled up before it stalled?

Looks like the J57-21 could not actually light AB above 47,000ft and the -1 states its improbable above 40,000ft - whereas the J57-21A could light AB above 45,000ft!

Have got documents that list the following:

The F-100A had the J57-3 and J-57-39

The F-100C used J57-3, J57-21 and J-57-39

The F-100D used the J57-21 and 21A