Sign in to follow this  
Dave

MTV at 30

I cant believe its been 30 years. I watched it religiously growing up and up until 1995 the it became less music and more dumb tv shows. Some of us older one who were around when it started can remember so many groups that started back in the MTV heyday. I mean who doesn't remember at least hanging with your friends on a weekend and watching MTV. I loved Headbangers Ball and YO MTV Raps. I remember being at my wifes house (when she was my girlfriend) watching videos with her and just hanging out. 30 years is a long time...just wish they had the same format from back then.

If you listen to XM Siruis 80's station all the original MTV VJ's are on there. So its cool to hear them and that 80's music and think back to those day. Getting older sucks....

yeah...can't believe it's that long ago...the first song was 'Video killed the radio star'

Yea I remember too. Really wanted to hook up my stereo onto my tv so I could watch MTV in stereo LOL. I loved Headbanger's Ball & the news section. It really grew my musical taste. Now its only reality shows and crappy music. I remember staying up on Friday night for a bit to watch a live telecast of a concert on MTV too.

Falcon

When MTV dropped head bangers ball I dropped MTV and never looked back.

Out here in the dark beyond my music is still back in the 70's and 80's... As to MTV being 30 yeah we get old and then the shows etc get old... going back to listen to Led Zep with a touch of AC-DC to mellow out my evening... :grandpa::tease::rockon:

Hey! Remember when MTV showed music videos???

I stopped watching when the Ray Cokes programme stopped. he cracked me up big time!

After that it went downwards imho; less videos, more 'real life soaps' and nothing related

to music. Wish there was an alternative for us here in NL, playing the old metal, rock

and alternative music videos.

Last week i was talking to somebody here and trying to show her "Money For Nothing" the video that boosted me to play guitar, i never, ever, have found a better video (Sabrina and boys`s song doesn`t count...) than that one, she saw me like a real dinosaur... LOL!

I remember coming home from work and WATCHING the first couple of hours of MTV's launch :yikes:

yep from the good old days when it was MUSIC television. now even VH1 and MTV2 are just reality tv. hell one of my soldiers just before afghanistan was amazed to see Brett Micheals was the lead singer of Poison. he thought Brett was famous cause of rock of love!!! :yikes:

I didn't watch it too much in the 80s, I waited until HS and college in the 90s (when I got cable in my room instead of having to watch it in the kitchen...before that I mostly watched the network TV I could get over the air in my room).

Does anyone remember the Meatloaf invasion? Not an hour would go by without "Anything for Love" playing on it, VH1, or both. I once literally turned from MTV, which was 1/2 way thru it, to VH1 to see it had just started!! NOOO!!!!!!

However, Beavis and Butthead is coming back! The kids of today aren't any smarter than they were 15 years ago, and I've missed Judge's great satire.

yep from the good old days when it was MUSIC television. now even VH1 and MTV2 are just reality tv. hell one of my soldiers just before afghanistan was amazed to see Brett Micheals was the lead singer of Poison. he thought Brett was famous cause of rock of love!!! :yikes:

What about VH1 Classic?

Falcon

I used to watch MTV a lot in the 80s but more or less stopped in the mid 90s because bands i was into never had their videos played.

What about VH1 Classic?

Falcon

my current cable company dont have it. :blink: its good when i do have it tho the rock n roll classics movies is part of the downfall there too.....