Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

SF2E Version August 2011 F-15A Avionics Enhancement v1c

SF2E Version August 2011 F-15A Avionics Enhancement v1c

Strike Fighters 2 Europe (SF2E) F-15A Eagle avionics enhancement v1c

Updates over the previous v1a version:
- improved and repositioned scales for a more realistic look
- added EOGB capability to data ini for GBU-8 (Wing and CL stations)
- EOGB seeker symbology (gunsight) added to HUD
- LGB seeker symbology (Target Box) added to HUD (The box marks primary strike target like it
would be the case by using the Inertial Navigation System function)
- minor other ini tweakes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strike Fighters 2 Europe (SF2E) F-15A Eagle avionics enhancement v1a

by :
Crusader ( avionics, ini tweaks )

#########################################
# For SF2E updated to version JULY 2011 #
#########################################

Note:
No TWS radar mode. That's no error, its just the way it was.

The enhancement adds several readouts or changes to them for a more
"realistic" look and functionality of the HUD and APG-63 radar.
Further changes are made to the data and cockpit ini for a new launch
sequence of AIM-7 missiles, launching in Right Fwq - Right Aft - Left fwd - Left Aft
sequence.
Another small tweak is the AIM-7 ejection angle, they are now ejected at a 45° downward
angle instead of straight down.

All edits/tweakes/enhancements are limited by current game limits, so there are a few
work arounds and trade-offs.

Installation :

Copyor move the 3 ini files and cockpit folder provided by this mod into the ..\ your mods folder\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\Objects\Aircraft\F-15A folder

Other files/mods included:

Gunsight texture by wpnssgt.

Thanks!

For questions/comments ect, contact "Crusader" at CombatAce.com forums.

Disclaimer:
- I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong , use at your own risk!
- this mod is FREEWARE and can not be used in any payware product!

Thanks for the Enhancement file Crusader!

I'm curious to the reason why there isn't a TWS mode. I'm not questioning your modding skills. I believe you can easily add it. I always thought TWS mode comes with the APG-63 radar of the F-15. So the statement about not having a TWS mode surprised me.

Appreciate your enlightenment on this.

PSP ability was introduced in the APG-63 in 1979, could track up to 4 targets at just under 100nm. the APG-63 suffered from memory and throughput constraints. Its current Operational Flight Programs (OFPs) utilized over 98% of its 98K of memory and its throughput was not adequate for some desired operating modes thereby limiting future upgrades to its software.

PSP is not TWS.. and its functionality was more theoretical... the person I talked to who used it said it was crap ... and they knew for sure....because he flew Eagles for years.....before becoming our safety officer in my former unit.

PSP is not TWS.. and its functionality was more theoretical... the person I talked to who used it said it was crap ... and they knew for sure....because he flew Eagles for years.....before becoming our safety officer in my former unit.

Yes Dave, I know, Just saying TWS wasn't until later. TWS "as we know it" wasn't introduced until APG-70, AFAIK. What the PSP introduced was something called Raid Assessment Mode (RAM). It was an interleaved mode that would alternate each normal scan of the search volume with a finer "spotlight" scan of up to four priority targets. RAM was unpopular with pilots compared to TWS and has been removed.

Edited by Spectre8750

I made a long reply last night but my PC crashed/rebooted before I could post it :skull:

But basically it was what what Spectre8750 wrote above.

The APG-63 was improved continually all the time, without resulting in a new designation been assigned to it.

The Programmable Signal Processor ( PSP ) came with late 1979 build radars, this allowed further upgrades by

software changes ( since its a digital system). The PSP's memory was also increased.

But the new code which made use of the new PSP and memory wasnt frontline ready until 1981, only then it saw

widespread usage on USAFE units.

Real TWS "out of the box" so to say, only came with the APG-70 in 1985 and later. The APG-63 received further

memory and software updates which enable dit to have TWS too around that time.

Back in 1981, the addition of PSP and larger memory allowed for better ECCM capability and the Raid Assessment Mode

(RAM), which was usable up to 40 nm range scale, other features were the things Spectre gave already.

The impression that the F-15A /APG-63 did have TWS from the start is widespread, but not true.

So, in my Avionics mod ( which is not new, its just the latest version of my avionics made first in 2005/06 or so,

originally for WOE and then a mod for WOI which had 3 radar versions, APG-63 early and late + APG-70, IIRC )

I didnt include TWS for historical reasons and left out ground map mode too, because of the way the game handles radar

mode selection.

I like it to go from search to boresight fast, dont want to step through up to 2 other modes ... that can result

in switchology failures when done in a hurry :ninja:

Thats it for now... posting before the crate is crashing again...

~

Edited by Crusader

Thanks guys! I really appreciate for the enlightening replies, especially Crusader for attempting to do so despite a PC crash.

So now I know, no TWS function for APG-63 until the mid-80s.

Edited by WLJet

Many many thanks Crusader! :salute:

Your updated avionics mod gives another interest to the TK F-15A Eagle... :good:

Coupi. :bye:

:)

Updated to version v1c

Improved HUD scales and A2G weapon symbols added - see changelog for further details

No IFF for Search Mode yet, perhaps with the next version ..

~

So... If I understand it correctly, no TWS mode for F-15C until (at least) 1981 - RAM can pass as a sort of TWS, yes?

What about F-15A then, did it EVER received anything vaguely similar to TWS, or was it reserved only for the C (APG-63PSP and APG-70) versions?

Reminds me to finish and upload the latest version...

RAM was more like the Hornets APG-65 RAID mode .. to break out targets flying closely together.

The APG-63 with PSP received improved software all the time, and they definitive got a TWS mode pre MSIP.

From what I could find out, it was ~1983-84.

F-15A have been retrofitted with the PSP, but it was probably only the single Wing who flew A models until the early 90's.

Even later many models received parts of the MSIP update and then had most of the F-15C capabilities.

The interesting feature of the APG-63 PSP was some Dual Target Track mode for AIM-9M. They could track 2 targets and the pilot could fire 2 Sparrows in quick succession. They would both go for the 1st target, and if the 1st missile destroyed it the pilot could quickly transfer the radar lock to the 2nd target for the 2nd missile to home on. The mode was very limite din coverage and worked only if the 2 targets were flying closely together.

And it worked great only in the manufactures brochure but not very well with the real thing, so I've been told.

Thanks for the info, Crusader! Boy, the things you learn thanks to the Internet! :good: