Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

What films U would like to see made

Just Dream of a Flim U would like to see made. 1. A story about a Jasta in WWI. 2. Korean fighterbomber Saga p 80s F 84s 3. Fighter bombers in Vietnam 105 s F-4 s

I have always wanted to see a show specifically focusing on the P-47 groups of the 9th AF in WWII. There have been many shows about the 8th AF and mostly just about P-51s, and I've always wanted to see more about the other groups, and pilots that flew the P-47 and as a Fighter Bomber in the 9th AF.

A show about F-80s and F-84s in Korea would be interesting too!

since tv shows nowadays have very high standarts i would rather like to see a tv show over two or three seasons than a single movie. i would love to see a series about julius buckler. his story from the beginning to the end. there is no need to exaggregate the storyline or something. just take his story and make a series out of it. you would see dogfighting, an almost duel with his own squadmate in the air because both wanted the same girl, a lot of drama and tears and fears. he got wounded 5 times, he got promoted to leutnant despite refusing to take the quick way (Einjähriges) just because of his merits. they had monkeys in their squadron, great friendships and a band of brothers. everything an interesting story and drama needs.

Maybe something to do with the Spainish Civil War in the air... or about A-4 Skyhawks in Vietnam...

Oh, some great ideas there! :good:

I would like to see every single one realised, but above all Creaghorn's idea sounds the most interesting... :ok:

Not hard to guess perhaps, but I'd love to see a good war film, or even a visually rich CGI documentary about the Mosquitos in 2 TAF, Tactical Air Force.

Drama? - In bucket loads. This would include the precision, drama and success of low level attacks like Operation Jericho, a precision strike on Amiens prison which freed French resistance fighters from torture and certain death for some, but include similar less successful missions with all the drama and tragedy of Operation Carthage when a Mossie clipped a street light and crashed into a school. Following aircraft saw the explosion and dust, and bombed the crash site as their target instead of the Gestapo HQ. Over 125 Danish civilians died, but most terribly, 86 young schoolchildren. Many survived the bombing in the basement, only to drown as firefighters poured water on the flames.

For lighter moments, there are well documented stories of Mosquitos clipping roof tops, tree tops and even a destroyers battle ensign with their tail wheels, such was the low level heights they were flying. Then there are the nuisance bombings spoiling Gorings parade, and I think one of Goebbles speeches was disrupted too.

There is of course 633 squadron, and it's sequal which do pay hommage to some aspects of 2TAF Mosquitos, but both films are spolied in my opinion by the cheesey love stories and contrived plots which are quite unnecessary. Why do this when the truth is so much more amazing than the fiction?

Mind you, even the best film with cutting edge CGI still wont put me in the perspex nose of a MkIV Mossie flying towards it's target, with anything in the bomb bay between a 4000lb cookie bomb to loaves of bread for the starving Dutch. Everybody has their favourites, but nobody is going to persuade me the Mosquito had an equal.

A Mossie Pilot once said, at 0 feet, (I believe that means below 50ft) the Mosquito has about a 5mph advantage on a FW190, which meant you were fine, unless the FW190 went into a dive.

That's what I'd like to see in a film.

Not hard to guess perhaps, but I'd love to see a good war film, or even a visually rich CGI documentary about the Mosquitos in 2 TAF, Tactical Air Force.

Drama? - In bucket loads. This would include the precision, drama and success of low level attacks like Operation Jericho, a precision strike on Amiens prison which freed French resistance fighters from torture and certain death for some, but include similar less successful missions with all the drama and tragedy of Operation Carthage when a Mossie clipped a street light and crashed into a school. Following aircraft saw the explosion and dust, and bombed the crash site as their target instead of the Gestapo HQ. Over 125 Danish civilians died, but most terribly, 86 young schoolchildren. Many survived the bombing in the basement, only to drown as firefighters poured water on the flames.

For lighter moments, there are well documented stories of Mosquitos clipping roof tops, tree tops and even a destroyers battle ensign with their tail wheels, such was the low level heights they were flying. Then there are the nuisance bombings spoiling Gorings parade, and I think one of Goebbles speeches was disrupted too.

There is of course 633 squadron, and it's sequal which do pay hommage to some aspects of 2TAF Mosquitos, but both films are spolied in my opinion by the cheesey love stories and contrived plots which are quite unnecessary. Why do this when the truth is so much more amazing than the fiction?

Mind you, even the best film with cutting edge CGI still wont put me in the perspex nose of a MkIV Mossie flying towards it's target, with anything in the bomb bay between a 4000lb cookie bomb to loaves of bread for the starving Dutch. Everybody has their favourites, but nobody is going to persuade me the Mosquito had an equal.

A Mossie Pilot once said, at 0 feet, (I believe that means below 50ft) the Mosquito has about a 5mph advantage on a FW190, which meant you were fine, unless the FW190 went into a dive.

That's what I'd like to see in a film.

Good point on the old Mossie... as to be honest it was a remarkable airplane and highly overlooked with all the other warbirds... the same with the Wellington bomber...

Maybe a movie based in Rolling Thunder and Operation Bolo, would be great too.

Okay any flying movie provided it wasn't cheesy and embellished for the ladies... in other words like they used to make them but with realistic CGI etc...

For WW1 I'd like to see Udet's story, or as Creaghorn wants: Julius Buckler's - should both be good.

For WW2 I would love to see the "Battle of Britain", as it really was, with tons of CGI created aircraft,

so that we get an impression of how big it really was. (The only scene I liked from "Troy" was, when

they showed the whole Greek fleet - an amazing sight!)

I think a lead up to and including the evacuation of Dunkirque would make a hell of a film, all sorts of air, sea, and land encounters and stories.

Bloody April would also make a riveting movie if done well.

There are so many worthwhile stories to draw from.

I'd like to see something on the Cactus Air Force (Marine pilots on Guadalcanal). Joe Foss was quite a character and would be good subject matter.

Another story that's already been made into a full-length movie (all CGI) is the story of the Gladiators of Malta: Faith, Hope and Charity. What an amazing story!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=205252973949369270#

Edited by NS13Jarhead

For me, I'd love to see a film about Mannock...his imprisonment in a Turkish Jail, and his story of being a fighter Pilot.

He is (for me) the most fascinating pilot ever...how he hated the Germans, and felt so guilty and wracked about losing his fellow airman..to his deep depression, and eventual death, in his most feared manner.

1) Operation Tidal Wave, 1st August 1943, 'Black Sunday' - Give the B-24 some love too... it wasn't only the B-17.

2) 'Bloody April' - Yes if done proper - Show the two seaters some respect for the hellish job they did.

3) McCudden - there's a career worth a camera.

Know what else I'd like to see? An untold story. Something remarkable, but never grabbing any attention.

I'd like to see more about the allied armour of WW2. I actually know more about German and Russian armour than I do about British. You have your T-34's, Tigers and Panthers etc, but you never hear the stories of the guys stuck in Churchills, Crusaders, Shermans, and Crommwels, etc. Yes, yes, yes, we all know how inferior and obsolete they were compared to the German armour, but these tank crews knew it too, but had to go into battle regardless, and they deserve more attention than they've had in my opinion.

The British armour competed pretty well in the desert, but they were in for a shock in Europe. Nevertheless, they did work hard to catch up, and later British Tanks like the Comet and Centurian were excellent tanks, but too late to make an impact. Then you've Hobarts funnies of course, but from war films, you get the impression the Churchills only just made it off the beach and were abandoned or destroyed within minutes. The Churchill itself was used throughout the war, and saw more action than any other British tank, even seeing action beyond WW2 in Korea. The only Churchill I've seen in a war film was used as a desk. Ha ha funny, but that's just not fair. The first Tiger tank captured by the Western allies was taken out by guess what? Correct, a Churchill. Whether inspired luck or brilliance I cannot say, but it did it.

I'm not looking to re-write the history of poor performance, Winston Churchill himself said the Churchill tank had more faults than he did, but even the Churchill had its redeeming features, and with it's suspension could get itself places which other tanks could not. Even when hit, it could take a beating, and still get about despite considerable damage to it's running gear. A Churchill in North Africa survived 80 hits.

The Brits didn't celebrate their tank aces like the Germans or Soviets, but there were many brave British tankers taking out their targets in spite of the odds, and I wouldn't mind seeing more fuss made about it. I'd even go so far as to say it's an untold story.

Edit - And I also agree with NS13Jarhead, but for Malta in general. There's a lot made about those Gladiators, (notice I don't say 3 Gladiators), but their incredible story is just the beginning for Malta. There is a B+W film about Malta with Alec Guinness in it, but a CGI blockbuster would be something to see. Be warned, if it tells the whole story of Malta, it might be quite a long film.

Edited by Flyby PC

None, thanks very much.

If - as seems VERY likely- 'Red Baron', Flyboys' and 'U571' are representative of current capabilities, and this clip from the coming 'Dambusters' remake is representative of a more 'realistic' treatment - we really have already seen the best films we're going to get out of WW1 and WW2:

Oh Oh. That was quite painful to watch.

Hope that's just a screen test and not part of the film. Even the grass looks flat.

They have Lancs flying around in screen tests don't they? I'm sure they do. Certainly hope they do.

Maybe they reckon with CGI you can get away with wooden actors. Got a baaaad feeling now, and I was really looking forward to this. The only consolation is it makes Mosquito Squadron look quite good.

Hands off MGM's Battle of Britain. Mind you, that would be hard to improve on anyway. Repeat please....

For what it's worth I doubt very much that that clip has anything to do with the 'Peter Jackson' Dambusters remake - if you look on their YouTube channel they've done the same remake treatment for a number of different films:

No Richard Burton that's for sure!

Plus the Dambusters remake probably has a bigger budget than $1000NZD :grin:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Yeah, I see now the NZ producers of the clip say it was "...produced as a training exercise for student actors and therefore only a review mechanism within their Screen Performance Course" which I hope is true and not just an attempt to limit the reputational damage from what was a pretty stupid thing to do regardless of the real situation.

Trust the final script and the real acting will be an order of magnitude better, tho frankly for all its limitations 'the Dambusters' is one of those films that should be left in peace, like "the Battle of Britain'. Even if they kept Gibson's dog's name accurate (which they won't) the 1955's film's relatively few bits or artistic licence are entirely forgiveable and effective; and you just won't get better period performances that Robert Todd and Michael Redgrave. Plus there's the Dambuster's March, what can possibly replace that? After me, now, everybody, 'Daa, daa daa daa da da da da...'

There was a P47 movie made called Fighter Squadron, starring Robert Stack and Edmond O'Brien made in 1948.

Beard

Perhaps a real Flying Tigers movie...more historical accuracy and less John Wayne. Those men performed remarkable kill ratios.

Hellshade

For what it's worth I doubt very much that that clip has anything to do with the 'Peter Jackson' Dambusters remake - if you look on their YouTube channel they've done the same remake treatment for a number of different films:

That's a relief. Strange as it me seem, watching that clip, I found myself recalling the Catch 22 film the first time I saw it. -Not the enlightened appreciation I have for that film now, but the sense of miserable let down at expecting a good old 'shooty gunny' war film and instead getting some fuzzy abstract nerotic indulgence about someones mental breakdown.

I understand Catch 22 better now, and the misguided expectation was entirely my fault not the film makers, although I still don't like the film. It might be that first impression still lingers, but the film itself just doesn't resonate with me.

33Lima makes a good point though, after RB, Flyboys and U571 etc, we have been let down before...

Another film I'd like to see is the Falklands, provided it wasn't a cheap festival of British militarism, but a hard hitting expose of the failed and cynical Thatcherist / Galtieri politics which led to it, and was also sympathetic to the young Argentine conscripts chucked in at the deep end and expected to withstand the likes of the legendary 2 Para. Another factor with such a film would be the availablility of equipment to make it. I'm thinking Harriers and ships mainly... Perhaps the touchy nature of the politics is why there hasn't been a film....

I reckon Peter Jacksons Dambusters will be a watershed film. If it's excellent, there will be more classic war films updated with modern CGI. If it sucks, well, we still have the classics. I hope it is a cracker though....

I notice Braveheart was mentioned too. I'd like to see the real story of William Wallace. More facts, less woad thank you very much. Braveheart didn't even mention Stirling Bridge, where Wallaces ill-equipped soldiers stood up to the shock troops of the 13th Century, the English heavy cavalry, much feared by the French. The English defeat reverberated around medieval Europe. In Braveheart, Wallaces fights the English using the tactics closer to those used at Bannockburn rather than Stirling bridge. I don't mean to offend my English friends, but it was arrogance and contempt for the Scots 'rabble' which led the English to charge into a bottleneck formed by the bridge and make contact with the enemy on a prepared killing ground where the heavy cavalry could not mass itself for a charge nor crash into the enemy ranks at speed. Wallace, and Andrew Murray (Who???) had done their homework. There is speculation that it was Murray, not Wallace, who was tactically more astute, ( not unlike Bonnie Prince Charlie and his Lord George Murray in 1746). Andrew Murray died from his wounds after Stirling Bridge. A year later, Wallace met the English in open battle at Falkirk presenting every tactical advantage to the English, and got royally thumped. (There are parralels with Culloden in 1746, when Bonnie Prince Charlie did precisely the same, squandering the strengths and tactical advantages of his forces and leaving his men static and exposed and at the mercy of artillery and ranks of muskets).

In fairness to Wallace, perhaps he was tactically astute. His Andrew Murray was already dead, but Wallace had planned to attack the English at nigtht from close quarters ambush, but his night attack was betrayed by Scottish 'nobles' jealous of his power. The Scots at Falkirk the following day were certainly niaively deployed, but is it fair to blame Wallace, or was it simply inevitable? It is true however, that in the ranks of Edward 1's army at Falkirk was indeed a knight named Robert de Bruce, destined to be future king of an independent Scotland after the battle of Bannockburn.

Parrallel No 3 - Lord George Murray had attempted an unsuccesful night attack on the British Army on the night before Culloden, having marched all night leaving them exhausted for the battle to follow. Also at Culloden, Bonnie Prince Charles had ignored Murray's tactical advice. When Charles Stuart listened to Lord George Murray, he won. When he didn't listen, he lost. Both Charles Stewart and Lord George Murray survived Culloden and escaped to France, but when Murray went to visit Charles, the Prince would not see him.

Edited by Flyby PC

Have you seen Dam Busters set to the voice track of the original Star Wars Death Star trench run?

Or the Star Wars Death Star trench run with the Dam Busters voice track?

Edited by NS13Jarhead

The book "Catch 22" is much better than the movie. Though at times it reads like a used care salesman on meth.

Beard