Sign in to follow this  
theultimat

Strange Observation Balloon

Ok, so I started a new Bristol Fighter campaign this morning, and the first mission was a Balloon Busting mission. I checked the map, and was surprised to see the balloon was on our side of the lines! I guessed it was just a mistake with the brief, so I launched the mission, but checking the in-game map I saw the balloon was defiantly a few miles behind our lines.

balloonposition.png

I arrived at the balloon all the same, and it sure did look German, came us as red on the TAC screen, and gave the correct conformation message, but for some reason the Label given to it was in blue as if it was a friendly unit!

ballon.png

ballonTAC.png

ballonconfirm.png

Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks in advance.

(Also, on a side note, sorry about the picture quality, but I had to upload the offsite as for some reason my album refuses to let me upload to it. I thought it was just a problem with the album, so I made a new one, uploaded on image, all was fine. But then when I went to make another upload, it too didn't let me, and by that I mean when I go to upload, and click on 'Select Album', on the left it says I have none. So, any ideas about this either?)

War is confusing for sure. Looks like someone got confused as to where they were.

Probably just a glitch in the matrix but sometimes you will find enemy troops in a "safe" area. Makes you realises the lines could change in small areas all the time.

obviously a glitch.

i would see it like this. in those times the frontline wasn't exactly drawn by computer but with a pencil or something and rather aproximately than accurate. so the the enemy goes aproximately to here and to there, but it's not very exact. that's the reason why there were made recon jobs in the first place. to have an eye and get a big picture of the whole thing. and the pictures of one day change a little bit any day. so the the picture of one small part of the front might already been out of date the next day.

personally i like small glitches like that. or that the red line is no guarantee that you won't get in prison also despite beeing a mile over own lines. there are small raids, small skirmishes, the frontline might be out of date as mentioned. all that adds a bit more immersion IMO :drinks:

obviously a glitch.

i would see it like this. in those times the frontline wasn't exactly drawn by computer but with a pencil or something and rather aproximately than accurate. so the the enemy goes aproximately to here and to there, but it's not very exact. that's the reason why there were made recon jobs in the first place. to have an eye and get a big picture of the whole thing. and the pictures of one day change a little bit any day. so the the picture of one small part of the front might already been out of date the next day.

personally i like small glitches like that. or that the red line is no guarantee that you won't get in prison also despite beeing a mile over own lines. there are small raids, small skirmishes, the frontline might be out of date as mentioned. all that adds a bit more immersion IMO :drinks:

+1 from me on that one as I have guided a battered and beaten bird back over the lines and parked it nearest the only pub to find half way through my drink I have been taken prisoner... :rofl:

+2 here. I also fully appreciate the little inaccuracies as to precisely where the front lines are on any given day. And I have also landed somewhere that I thought was safe only to be greeted by friendly Hun troops who were quick to offer me a place to stay.

Nothing is safe in a war. Maps? When they are done, they are already out of date.

I have landed more than once on an airfield I thought was ours.

But it had been overrun, and I became a PoW. C'est la guerre....

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me guys. Salute.gif Does anyone have any ideas as to my picture problem, though?

Yep, I too have landed on "our" side of the Line only to find myself face to face with enemy infantry. It's never a good idea to land anywhere near the Line, but if you must be sure you've got sight of friendly trenches and land behind them.

Has anyone ever landed in the middle of an artillery barrage? It's never happened to me but I shot down a Hannover at Arras that made a hard landing in the middle of a bombardment and disappeared in the smoke. Didn't stick around long enough to see what became of him...