Sign in to follow this  
Andy73

OT: New War Movie

Well it's not about World War One, but might be interesting to watch! :laugh:

Looks neat....but didn't they make this movie already? Even with alot of the same actors....oh well, more CGI = more bang, bang. :flyer:

yup, it's a remake...but of an amazing story...it's sure on my 'must see' list

LoL, the actors are not the same. It just happens to be that the actors they have in this movie and the "Tuskegee Airmen" HBO movie is that both sets of actors look a lot like the people they portray. The story is the same of course, but the CGI does look good. PLUS, it's about damn time the P51 gets a just spot light in a big holly wood movie in the 21st Century!!!

Why don't they ever get the aircraft to move believeable?

You see it's CGI, at first sight.

I guess it's because these computer cracks rarely ever see anything REAL happening outdoors???

Edited by Olham

Why don't they ever get the aircraft to move believeable?

You see it's CGI, at first sight.

I guess it's because these computer cracks rarely ever see anything REAL happening outdoors???

Very good point Olham!...the next generation will just think WW2 was made up by a bunch of Geeks!

What's an "outdoors"? :blink:

Hellshade

LoL, the actors are not the same. It just happens to be that the actors they have in this movie and the "Tuskegee Airmen" HBO movie is that both sets of actors look a lot like the people they portray. The story is the same of course, but the CGI does look good. PLUS, it's about damn time the P51 gets a just spot light in a big holly wood movie in the 21st Century!!!

Sorry, I saw Cuba Gooding and jumped to conclusions that others were as well my appologies. But yes, Cuba Gooding jr. is in both films.

... it's about damn time the P51 gets a just spot light in a big holly wood movie in the 21st Century!!!

Yep, that's a point - I guess there are still several craft flyable, so they have some real planes in there.

The CGI does look good - until it moves. They should really watch the old original material to understand,

how the physics were. They get it even worse with WW1 aircraft.

What's an "outdoors"?

:rofl:

I know what you mean, but I'm relaxed about the CGI.

I grew up when special effects meant an airfix kit hanging from a wire, set on fire and hung in a draught. Apply a little imagination and that was fine.

CGI is still in its infancy. Tochi's CGI is some of the best I've ever seen, but you can still see the joins if you want to see them.

I have this notion in my head that when the film crew is sitting in the cinema to watch their film for the very first time, those responsible for the CGI air combat sequencies are looking at it thinking, there's still something just not quite right....

To be honest I'm more uncomfortable about all the segregation of the coloured pilots which prevailed back then. I was about to say which prevailed in the US back then, but the prejudice wasn't confined to the US. Thankfully we've (hopefully) made a lot of progress since then.

Edited by Flyby PC

Here are some Mustangs. Not bad altogether, but again, some of the physics aren't looking true.

Yes, I know. He is written "Tochy", by the way. Here is one that looks believeable;

it's the "Whistling Death" - the Chance Vought F4U "Corsair".

I dunno, I think CGI seems a lot less memorable, if that makes sense - you don't quite get the same thrill when it's all completely made up, as opposed to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02BBtN-P0lc

Obviously there are drawbacks to this sort of thing as well, such as certain effects not being the best, incorrect Aircraft, lack of tracers, etc - but it just seems more 'epic' to use a much too commonly used word. :grin:

Granted it's probably bloody expensive and bloody dangerous to film, but that's probably part of what makes it so memorable.

A mix of both real film with CGI effects would probably be my ideal middle ground, although that sort of thing is hard to pull off (i.e having CGI against a real background.)

Then again I think 633 Squadron is an amazing film, so maybe I'm just mental. :lol:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

We're both correct Olham, his name is Masaru Tochibayashi.

@MikeDixon - missed you 633 squadron comment, but yes, the real Mosquitos flying in 633 squadron are out of this world. It's worth watching just for the footage. The plot just seemed so contrived, when history had already given them a plot far superior to their script.

Edited by Flyby PC

Ah, I see - his short name is Tochy though; didn't know his full name; thanks! :good:

Then again I think 633 Squadron is an amazing film, so maybe I'm just mental. :lol:

Must admit I love watching that movie... it's cheesy but it has the Mosquito in the flesh and not a sketch... looks and sounds better than any CGI version...

You British are a funny lot and I often wondered why I should like you,

but then you come up with something as brilliant as "Monty Python" or "Blackadder", "Waterloo Sunset" or "Penny Lane",

"Pooh the Bear" or "A Hitchhiker's Guide through the Galaxy";

the Spitfire or the Mosquito - and the wondering goes away, and I must like you, no matter why!

"633 Squadron" was the very first war film I ever saw. We had no TV back then, and I went to our local cinema.

I was absolutely impressed!

And bought the AIRFIX DeHavilland "Mosquito" as soon as I had pocket money again!

Edited by Olham

Will be honest, when I was first reading through this thread I thought Olham was just being an old fuddy duddy and the CGI can't be that big of a deal! Then I went and saw the trailer and...

Gotta agree with Olham. Looks lame with a capital L. I don't like saying that because I've done some 3D animation myself, I know how much talent is required, and god knows those software programs like 3DS Max or Maya are puzzles to me.

But that trailer just does zilch for me. It's not even the physics, it just looks off. It's LucasArts and it shows, since the moment I saw the trailer the aesthetics made me think "Revenge of the Sith, Attack of the Clones" right away. That's great for those movies (I actually like the prequels) but it puts me off for anything meant to be realistic.

Despite it being 2011 we're really still not at the point of making a good convincing movie about any air war,there has never been a truly great movie about one even in movies that included great aerial sequences, and the best attempts are all pre-CGI productions.

It might be good if the narrative carries it, and maybe it will, but I wasn't big on the first Tuskegee Airmen so... we'll see

I didn't mean to do down CGI - I would really love to see good WW1 and WW2 CGI material.

It's only, that they should study the original material better, and then get it right.

If you watch the long following video, you will notice

- it doesn't need to be very crisp

- it needs to move right

- it needs to have the right shapes

It's the movements and physics, where the CGI stuff is still lacking believability.

The most aircraft scenes are from 13th minute on.

Edited by Olham

To be fair, I set my expectations of CGI according to the venue. If I am watching a documentary on the history channel, I hope to see something closer to the real thing where possible, since their goal is to entertain through education. If I step into a movie theater, then I can expect the more "fantastic" types of CGI designed to entertain through thrilling the audience. It takes a lot less money to produce a documentary style video than it does a 2 hour special effects laden "epic" film, so I figure the movie people have to entertain the largest audiences possible to make their money back. Go into a venue with the right expectations and you'll seldom be dissappointed.

Hellshade

Yea I can agree with that. I don't really watch movies much anymore, nothing new ever interests me. I believe the last time I was in theaters was when Avatar came out, and that was just the big must see event movie type deal. My favorite of all time is The Seven Samurai, which absolutely nobody in my 18-24 age group has ever heard of, hence I just steer clear of most movie conversations.

The Seven Samurai is a classic - and no CGI necessary even. :good:

Here's an example of the mix of real clips and CGI that I was on about before, from the docu-drama 'First Light' (good program by the way, and excellent book!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdXMrn_0YY

The clips mainly being from that old favourite 'Battle of Britain' but with tracer fire and added explosions here and there, granted the effects themselves aren't the best - but they were done on a docu-drama budget, so imagine what a film could do (granted the First Light people didn't have to film the flying bits themselves.)

Although I think they need to shorten their gun convergence a bit. :grin:

Edited by MikeDixonUK