Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Weapon database

Hi Gang. I have been trying to get my head around the latest array of Soviet weapons (AAMs, later SAMs etc). I have a good handle on equipment to the late 80's, when i was keeping a close eye on weapon systems and technical development - but stuff like later AAMs and SAMs I am still catching up on. I was compiling some information to get them all straight in my head, but I was wondering if there would be a wider interest in having an online database of weapon systems.

This information is just begging to be databased, but I don't want to go to the considerable effort of designing a fully database-driven website and be the only one to use it. I am a professional web developer, so I can pull it off. I just want to gauge the level of interest, if any. Is anyone interested?

there a lot of websites devoted on supplying information on various weapons including Russian made

make sure you don't open a site and there is a better alternative

to be honest it sounds interesting but I'm not sure how much I'll spend on reading about it

anyway, good luck what ever you do.

Cheers :drinks:

Wrench, the Japanese site looks interesting, but not the best layout! I was looking to make something a bit more approachable. Thanks for the link - I'll spend some more time there.

no, actually, if you're lilke me ... you're going to be spending a LOT of time over a farposst!!! :rofl:

May I suggest investing in a VERY LARGE external HD, you're gonna be d/ling books by the gigabyte!!!

I think FAS has some info, too. Not sure how much.

Thanks everyone. I'm not looking for sources (although you have shown me some interesting stuff!) but more trying to gauge interest for developing a site which shows the info.

I had a play with building an interface for it. This is what I have so far.

gallery_56577_540_17118.jpg

Looks good. If the info is as good as the layout, then you will have success with it. :good:

It looks interesting. But think about what you will bring that isn't already available.

Organization?

convenience is search?

More data base references?

expanded coverage?

etc.

There are some pretty good databases out there now. I have no doubt you will have a first class one, but what will draw people to you will be something extra over what the others already offer. I don't know what that would be, that's up to you. Just a thought.

Actually, I had in mind it would be more of a quick-reference. I have been feeling the lack of just having something to quickly look up to see if a particular weapon is radar ir IR guided - with Soviet weapons it is often hard to tell...