Sign in to follow this  

So I finally got the wife to look the other way long enough for me to slip a new rig in under the radar :grin: of course the first thing I did was get out my credit card and finally get into SF2.....everything has been going pretty good and I'm slowly get everything running like I am used to from gen 1..... One issue that has come up is in both American northwest and Socal sceneries I am having troubles with sky textures, it seems to flicker back and forth between overcast and a fake looking pastel blue sky. The stock Germany looks correct, and I did go into the KB and read Wrench's instructions on porting over gen 1 scenery.....but no joy

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Romflyer

I had the same problem with the Bering Straits map made for Gen 2 after installing a bunch of mods. I reinstalled the map, and the error went away...maybe try reinstalling your maps and see what happens. :dntknw:

open the main ini (AmericaNW.ini) and SCal ini, delete the lines for the EnviromentalSystem= statement. The envirosys ini included should have been left out, and they're 1stGen and don't work properly.

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=American North West

DataFile=AmericaNW_data.INI

TargetFile=AmericaNW_targets.ini

TargetTypeFile=AmericaNW_types.ini

MovementFile=AmericaNW_movement.ini

//EnvironmentFile=AmericaNW_ENVIRONMENTSYSTEM.INI <---

NationsFile=AmericaNW_nations.ini

BriefingText=AmericaNW_briefing.ini

DogfightFile=AmericaNW_dogfight.ini

DogfightOnly=FALSE

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat

//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.cat

Longitude=123.04

Latitude=49.08

let's the game engine's envirosys handle everything

Thanks Wrench, that fixed it.

I have come accross a couple of other graphical issues though.....every tree in American Northwest is hovering about 20 ft above the ground .......and, when I start a mission (ANW,SoCal, and Black Sea) the game insists on placing me on runway 36, so if I am starting a mission from an airport that the runway is actually 27 then I am placed half way down the runway perpendicular to the runway .......to make it really interesting each plane in my flight gets placed in the exact position as me, so when I start to roll forward it's like I am driving through my wingmans plane :yikes: ......I also noticed that after the mission inbound for landing the waypoints are also setting me up for a landing on 36, but of course it should be for 27 or 21 or whatever, the approach controller tells me 36 as well.......it's like the game isnt recognizing anything but runway 36

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Rom

do you have the proper cat required for the terrains being pointed to? OTH, do you have ALL the desert airfield inis in the terrain folder(s)? ANW and SoCal require the Desert cat (should say so in the included readmes***). Can't speak to black sea, as that ain't mine --but here's an experiment -- point it to GermanyCE and see what happens

the ANW trees I can't do a thing about --- it's a TOD issue that I'm not going to revist. Ever

*** remember-these were originally build for 1stGEns, whose terrain cats INCLUDED all the proper airbase inis (read: desert airfields). SF2 does NOT and requires the proper, corrcet terrain-specific airfield ini INSIDE the 3rd Terrains, when using an improper cat pointer

Edited by Wrench

do you have the proper cat required for the terrains being pointed to? OTH, do you have ALL the desert airfield inis in the terrain folder(s)? ANW and SoCal require the Desert cat (should say so in the included readmes***). Can't speak to black sea, as that ain't mine --but here's an experiment -- point it to GermanyCE and see what happens

the ANW trees I can't do a thing about --- it's a TOD issue that I'm not going to revist. Ever

*** remember-these were originally build for 1stGEns, whose terrain cats INCLUDED all the proper airbase inis (read: desert airfields). SF2 does NOT and requires the proper, corrcet terrain-specific airfield ini INSIDE the 3rd Terrains, when using an improper cat pointer

I am running these within SF2E so I am using the GermanyCE.cat.... both ANW and Socal worked well for me in WOE however I had this same runway issue with the Black Sea........I am not sure about your question about the desert airfield inis in the terrain folder could you please explain

Thanks

Rom

look at your response, and my answer above it...it's pretty self explanitory.

both ANW and Socal worked well for me in WOE

right...because it's 1stGen, and at that point in time, the GermanyCE cat HAD the required 6 desert airfield inis inside it, so referencing that cat would work. It don't now, in SF2.

extract all 6 desert airfield inis from the desert cat, place them in the 2 offending terrain folders. Can't get any simplier than that

black sea, you'e on your own, as it ain't mine, but I suggest going through the targets ini, and see what airfield ini is referenced (or wait for pfunk to finish the new one)

I apologise for my ignorance.......but I am still a bit confused......I have always understood that if you are using Europe then you have GermanyCE.cat, if you are using Vietnam then you have VietnamSEA.cat, and if not then you use Desert.cat......Now I only have SF2E so will I able to extract the 6 desert airfield inis....from where? is there a desert cat in my new SF2E main folder?.....I am not currently at my home computer so I cant just open it up and look, for that matter I have only had SF2E for about 4 days and I havent yet needed to use the Cat extractor yet.......But from what I am reading from your response it sounds like maybe I will need to get either SF2 or SF2I in order to have the desert airfield inis to get these sceneries working correctly?

Please advise,

Cheers

Rom

I have always understood that if you are using Europe then you have GermanyCE.cat, if you are using Vietnam then you have VietnamSEA.cat, and if not then you use Desert.cat...

Things are VERY different now

you should have SF2 anyway.

90% of all 3rdpary terrains reference the desert cat for airfields (as they're the most commonly used), as well as other terrain objects.

Things are VERY different now

you should have SF2 anyway.

90% of all 3rdpary terrains reference the desert cat for airfields (as they're the most commonly used), as well as other terrain objects.

My plan was to get the expansion pack with the mission editor next.........to be honest SF2 was kinda last on my list......maybe I'll need to re-evaluate.......?

Actually, if I was to down load some other terrains are they likely to have the desert airfield inis within there main folder and I can copy them over?

yes!!!

check any/all of my terrain mods. I'd forgotten that I usually include them (well, most of the time) will all of them

Well it worked.............now, about those trees :grin:

But seriously, I'd be happier without any trees or better yet just no trees around any airfields..... Cause on the runway those levitating trees are .......distracting, although they do make a good conversation piece. :this:

just pretend you're in Eureka ... they have some local gravimetric issues (at times)