Sign in to follow this  
ordway

SAAF Mirage F1 green and brown camo skin almost ready (SFP1)

SAAF Dassault Mirage F1 ( Mirage F1CZ) (No. 213, 3rd squadron) green and brown camo skin almost ready (SFP1). This is a skin of the 1980s SAAF (South African Air Force) Major Johan Rankin at the time of his two confirmed Angolan Mig-21 kills (probably Mig-21MFs).

According to the website ACIG, he may have had more kills (http://www.acig.org/...ticle_193.shtml). Generally, the SAAF Mirage F1s had three months of front line duty before being rotated back south (SAAF fighter pilot Dick Lord in the book Vlamgat). The aircraft were generally kept very clean (although sometimes they were mortared on the ground and suffered AAA damage while in the air- not to mention being exposed to the harsh tropical sun and blowing sand).

The green and brown camo was the standard SAAF Mirage F1CZ camo for most of the bush war. It often had a distinct yellowish/orange hue.

miragef1best.jpg

miragef1best2.jpg

SAAF brown and green Mirage F1 (Mirage F1CZ skin) over Angola landscape.

miragef1best5.jpg

Edited by ordway

Very nice! Well done.

Couple of minor hitches - the Springboks always face inboard or to the fore, and technical markings, for example on the control surfaces, are in Afrikaans or English, not French (admittedly, I can't read them, but they appear to contain three words - NE PAS MARCHER - rather than the two of BLY AF or NO STEP). I can't remember precisely how this was managed. I think it was English port side and Afrikaans starboard side on aircraft with an even-numbered serial, and vice-versa... Don't quote me because I could very probably be wrong. Lloyd might know.

Very nice! Well done.

Couple of minor hitches - the Springboks always face inboard or to the fore, and technical markings, for example on the control surfaces, are in Afrikaans or English, not French (admittedly, I can't read them, but they appear to contain three words - NE PAS MARCHER - rather than the two of BLY AF or NO STEP). I can't remember precisely how this was managed. I think it was English port side and Afrikaans starboard side on aircraft with an even-numbered serial, and vice-versa... Don't quote me because I could very probably be wrong. Lloyd might know.

Sweet! Thanks for the info! I'll work on it.

Richard

Okay, for the SAAF Mirage F1CZ, I got the leaping gazelle insignia sorted out and fixed and the "NO STEP" and "BLY AF" added.

miragef1keepoff-1.jpg

Edited by ordway

I just released both the flyable SAAF Mirage F1CZ and the SAAF Mirage F1AZ available here:

I just released both the flyable SAAF Mirage F1CZ and the SAAF Mirage F1AZ available here:

http://combatace.com...-modified-sfp1/

http://combatace.com...-modified-sfp1/

Resized to 68% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargeF1CZ.jpg

Resized to 68% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargef1best7.jpg