Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeachAV8R

Sorry - more questions!

Guest BeachAV8R

You guys will get tired of me eventually and kick me out. I promise I'm looking for my answers before I ask the questions, but unfortunately my looking for the answer sometimes generates more questions! Part of the problem is that a lot of the answers are in the Strike Fighters 1 forums and I'm not sure if they are applicable to SF2 or not at this point (still learning the whole file system of the Strike Fighters series..)

So a few questions:

1. I'm trying to place a SAM site using the mission editor. If I place something like an SA-6 unit on the map and then place a Straight Flush radar next to it, shouldn't they talk to each other? It appears they aren't for me anyway. So I searched the site for some guidance and didn't find what I was looking for, but I did find this post by Doghouse and this sounds like a site I'd like to use for my SEAD mission:

Here is a template I use for my SAM sites. This SAM site has one SAM radar with 8 launchers and 4 AA pieces protecting it in one tight group. This entry goes into the terrain_targets.ini file

[TargetArea001]

Name=SAM Site

RandomChance=100

Position=185300.000' date='229000.000

Alignment=Enemy

Radius=7000

ActiveYear=0

Target[001'].Type=SAMRadar

Target[001].Offset=0.0,0.0

Target[001].Heading=000

Target[001].ActiveYear=

Target[002].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[002].Offset=000,100

Target[002].Heading=000

Target[002].ActiveYear=

Target[003].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[003].Offset=000,-100

Target[003].Heading=180

Target[003].ActiveYear=

Target[004].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[004].Offset=075,075

Target[004].Heading=045

Target[004].ActiveYear=

Target[005].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[005].Offset=075,-075

Target[005].Heading=135

Target[005].ActiveYear=

Target[006].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[006].Offset=-075,075

Target[006].Heading=315

Target[006].ActiveYear=

Target[007].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[007].Offset=-075,-075

Target[007].Heading=225

Target[007].ActiveYear=

Target[008].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[008].Offset=100,000

Target[008].Heading=090

Target[008].ActiveYear=

Target[009].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[009].Offset=-100,000

Target[009].Heading=270

Target[009].ActiveYear=

Target[010].Type=AAA

Target[010].Offset=-050,000

Target[010].Heading=315

Target[011].Type=AAA

Target[011].Offset=050,000

Target[011].Heading=045

Target[012].Type=AAA

Target[012].Offset=000,050

Target[012].Heading=315

Target[013].Type=AAA

Target[013].Offset=-000,-050

Target[013].Heading=045

But when I look at my .MSN file I don't see that kind of format in there. Instead I see headers with "GroundMissionXXX" (x being numbers). Am I looking at two different things here?

And how do I get the air defense units to talk to their controlling radar using the Mission Editor? In the .MSN file I see for my SA-6 vehicles it has NetworkAirDefense=TRUE and the Straight Flush entry has NetworkRadar=TRUE..so I was hoping they'd work together but that isn't the case. What am I doing wrong?

sam1.jpg

2. (Related to Q1) Does anyone have a handy chart that shows what types of radars are required with what type of launcher? For the SA-6 vehicle I had to use Google to figure out that a Straight Flush radar controls it. It would be useful to know what equipment runs what. If there hasn't been a chart made I'll see if I can whip something up.

3. Quick question here - when I post a mission file that uses the Israeli (or Middle East) theater map, and someone doesn't own that map (maybe they just have generic SF2), what happens when they load the mission? Do they get a blank world?

4. View system - is there a file that deals with the view angles and zoom levels (sort of like a LUA file from LOMAC?). I was hoping to increase the zoom level of the fly-by view and maybe move the center of some of the external views a bit further down so that the plane doesn't get cut off on the bottom of the screen when you decrease the field of view.

5. I notice that the maximum ceiling for clouds is 18,000' - is that modifiable at all in a file?

Thanks - I appreciate everyone's patience in going over these things that have probably been asked many times before.

Regards,

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R

1. Radar/Launchers inserted using Mission Editor or manually w/ notepad, into MSN file, SHOULD act correctly. Meaning they are supposed to be linked. Do you get any RWR warning when you fly above. Does the radar track, or lockon at all?

2. No I haven't seen a chart like this.

3.The game checks the requirements of the MSN file. Terrain, aircraft (and maybe groundobjects too), if the installation doesn't contain any of these, the mission will not even show up in the menu. It's best to give links to where people can download the objects for the MSN.

4. Yes, Flight/Viewlist.ini . I based mine on: http://combatace.com/files/file/7798-alternative-viewlistini/

5. Hmmm, some values for clouds have been hardcoded in a previous patch. I know they have a min. altitude of 10k, first time I hear about the max limit..

Guest BeachAV8R

1. Radar/Launchers inserted using Mission Editor or manually w/ notepad, into MSN file, SHOULD act correctly. Meaning they are supposed to be linked. Do you get any RWR warning when you fly above. Does the radar track, or lockon at all?

Yes, the Straight Flush shows up on the RWR. The missile batteries, however, don't track and never launch. :crazy:

3.The game checks the requirements of the MSN file. Terrain, aircraft (and maybe groundobjects too), if the installation doesn't contain any of these, the mission will not even show up in the menu. It's best to give links to where people can download the objects for the MSN.

Aha.. Yes, I should have all along been putting at the bottom of my reports what is required for the mission. Hopefully not too many people have been inconvenienced. Maybe it will push people to buy the whole SF2 set though since the merged install is pretty nice to have!

4. Yes, Flight/Viewlist.ini . I based mine on: http://combatace.com/files/file/7798-alternative-viewlistini/

Awesome..I'm checking in to that right now..

5. Hmmm, some values for clouds have been hardcoded in a previous patch. I know they have a min. altitude of 10k, first time I hear about the max limit..

Well, it may only be a max limit as set in the Mission Editor. Maybe that value can be adjusted manually by opening the MSN file.. I'll check.. :)

Thanks for all the replies. It is very helpful..

BeachAV8R

Did you force the SA-6 batteries by specifically placing them, or did you allow the system to select SAM types at random, and then wound up with SA-6s?

elaborating on Fubars....

did you force placement via the mission editor, or place them (specifically called out ) via _targets.ini edits -which, btw, works better)

And then elaborating on what Wrench said, the .ini entries you posted in the first post for the SAM site are meant for *terrain_name*_targets.ini. Meaning it would be placed in the terrain, not just part of a single mission.

true

and the Radius= should only be 2000 -- not 7 km!!

I'd say, for simple single mission design, ME (or the MSN file) is better to use for SAM/Groundobject/ship placement.

Because of the the radar emitting problem via targets_ini specific sam callouts.

Edited by PureBlue

Guest BeachAV8R

And then elaborating on what Wrench said, the .ini entries you posted in the first post for the SAM site are meant for *terrain_name*_targets.ini. Meaning it would be placed in the terrain, not just part of a single mission.

Ah..OK..that explains that.

Fubar & Wrench - I just opened the mission editor, selected ADD GROUND OBJECT and put an a couple SA-6 launch vehicles and a Straight Flush radar next to them. I guess there is a different way to do this (one that works..)..?

Let me explore further.. :good:

BeachAV8R

Guest BeachAV8R

Alright..what is targets.ini and how is it tied to making missions with the Mission Editor? I extracted (or looked in) all of the MissionData.CATs but couldn't finda targets.ini file..?

Thanks (again!)

BeachAV8R

This is what the MSN file shows when I tried to put the SA-6 vehicles and the Straight Flush together (and they weren't talking to each other):

[GroundMission005]

Name=G005

GroundObjectType=SA-6L

Nation=Egypt

RandomChance=100

ObjectiveID=1

RatingForSuccess=50

Size=2

FormationType=SovietAD

NetworkAirDefense=TRUE

Position=509643.555974,702453.615055,0.000000

Heading=0.000000

Speed=0.000000

StartTime=-533.696045

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotTrainingStandard=NORMAL

Texture=Tan

ObjectNumber=0

[GroundMission006]

Name=G006

GroundObjectType=StraightFlush

Nation=Egypt

RandomChance=100

ObjectiveID=1

RatingForSuccess=50

Size=1

FormationType=

NetworkRadar=TRUE

Position=509613.038396,702423.097477,0.000000

Heading=0.000000

Speed=0.000000

StartTime=-473.696045

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT

Texture=Tan

ObjectNumber=0

Am I just missing something between those two?

Edit - I just thought of something. I placed the enemy units in friendly territory (just north of Ramat David)..will that cause enemy units not to act..err..unfriendly.. LOL.. Edit #2..nope..just tried that and still no engagement..

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R

Guest BeachAV8R

I did find this post by Kreelin..which confirms that SA-2s cannot be setup using the in-game Mission Editor:

This is nothing to do with mission building ( with KMD or Lemissioneur). In fact, you cannot use SA-2 in a custom mission because it's the launcher only. SA-2 needs a radar linked system to work and unfortunately you cannot do that in a custom mission.

From this thread: HERE!

BeachAV8R

Guest BeachAV8R

Hmm..I fixed my problem..but I don't know how.. :yes:

I started from scratch on my mission. When I was overflying the site I notice..lo and behold the SA-2 site IS tracking now! The missiles elevated, and tracked.. So I kept wishing they would fire and sure enough..after a second run I got a launch! Woo-hoo! This was with a Mission Editor made mission..

sam5.jpg

Yay!

BeachAV8R

Hmm..I fixed my problem..but I don't know how.. :yes:

I started from scratch on my mission. When I was overflying the site I notice..lo and behold the SA-2 site IS tracking now! The missiles elevated, and tracked.. So I kept wishing they would fire and sure enough..after a second run I got a launch! Woo-hoo! This was with a Mission Editor made mission..

Yay!

BeachAV8R

Dont you just love it when that happens. Nothing works and then all of sudden it does and you sit there not knowing what just happend :grin: Happens to me all the time :rofl:

:grin: Yes!

Any differences at all in the MSN file?

Perhaps the proximity of the radar/launcher, though in your first MSN they were 50m apart, which seems close enough too...