Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: Elliott White Springs First Claim of a Kill

This weekend I ran across a unique offering on eBay: the original combat report for American ace Elliott White Springs, in which he claimed his very first kill. The item did not sell as the asking price was $7,500, but I did save all the images the seller had posted of the document and have reassembled them here for those who might be interested in this wonderful bit of Great War aviation history.

E_W_Springs_Combat_Report_01.jpg

I find it interesting that CO Billy Bishop is giving support of Springs claim while Spring in turn provides support for one of Bishop's claims. Don't you wonder how many eyebrows might have been raised over this up at HQ?

Cheers!

Lou

Such documents should be donated to some archive or museum, in my humble opinion. I wonder how many such rare papers are currently in private collections, out of reach of historians and other students of WW1 aviation history. Of course there may be copies of the document available in archives, but an original is always an original.

Such documents should be donated to some archive or museum, in my humble opinion. I wonder how many such rare papers are currently in private collections, out of reach of historians and other students of WW1 aviation history. Of course there may be copies of the document available in archives, but an original is always an original.

Well said and I +1 on that one...

I agree as well Gents, such items should be kept in places where all can enjoy. But here is an interesting, (and sad), aside to this. Over the years museums have actually been known to turn away such items if they have no room to display them. Now there's the pity.

Great to see such a document. Thanks for sharing, Lou! And yes, eyebrows in motion.:spiteful:

Olham, if you are going where I think you are, don't forget I made the following file available about two years ago:

RFC_report_01.jpg

:smile: