Sign in to follow this  
don246

A tricky one this

99% of the time my OFF HITR install is perfect BUT on a couple of occations it has locked up for several minutes then carried on working, my last one it locked up and went back to the setting up mission screen after I closed OFF down the sound of the plane engine could still be heared in Windows when I was on the desk top I rebooted and all was ok except I lost all of the mission results from the last play.

My spec -

Windows 64 BIT (up to date)

Asus P8P67 M/B (Latest bios)

Intel 2500K CPU

8 GB DDR3 Corsair Ram

850 Watt Thermaltake PSU

One 1TB Samsung spinpoint H/D

HD 5850 Card (latest drivers)

Trackir 5

Asus ZONAR DG sound card (latest driver)

settings for OFF Image quality from the top - 4-5-3-3-4-4

Overides as stated in the OFF settings for AMD (ATI) Cards -

all these are ticked-

High Resalution Z Buffer

Terrain Detail Texture

Disable Vertex Buffers

Disable Index Buffers

Disable write-only Vertex buffers

Disable write- only index buffers

And the warning messages.

Not an easy one this so any one had this problem of locking up. All other programes and sims ok.

If you are overclocking your CPU (and if you have a 2500K why wouldn't you ;) ) try less o/c or less taxing settings. Update sound drivers, being a simulator OFF uses CPU AND memory heavily compared to some other programs.

If you are overclocking your CPU (and if you have a 2500K why wouldn't you ;) ) try less o/c or less taxing settings. Update sound drivers, being a simulator OFF uses CPU AND memory heavily compared to some other programs.

Thanks Polovski for the reply, yes the CPU is overclocked it's running at 4.3 (stock 3.3) and I just know it will go higher but for now it's fast enogh for me.

I have just updated the sound card driver.

Could you tell me what of the graphic settings that have the bigest inpact on OFF, I do like the eye candy you see, after all will such a rich terrain that the team has given us how could one turn down the graphics this is why I purchased these components for my PC build so I can see EVERY thing OFF has to offer.

Thank you.

Don, do you also OC your graphics card? That can have a very large impact on how well OFF runs for you. I have found that pushing up the memory clock speed on the card can show the biggest gain in this sim in terms of smooth performance when the sliders are up in the 4 and 5 range, (remember to keep your terrain and scenery sliders at 4 or below, never put them at 5).

Terrain is great on "3" already, and "Scenery Detail" can even be on "2" - see my screenshots.

Scenery and Terrain slider have the biggest impact.

As I said, your CPU may well work fine normally, but used heavily O/C CPUs get much hotter, and CFS3 uses the CPU and memory very much so it will probably show more than in other situations/programs. Same with the memory too if that is pushed it can overheat. So you can try to lower the CPU o/c perhaps and try? Also if you have CPU throttling and other intel settings in the BIOS enabled it may be doing just that during those pauses.

Try installing HWMonitor and check temps under load on parts (doesn't show memory though).

Also if it's a long pause, but works fine after perhaps other programs in the background are running every so often? AV scans etc?

I am running OFF on my Intel i5 QuadCore (2500k) with just 3,3 GHz, and it performs fine, with 58 - 62 frps.

I have 3,5 useable GB memory, and an ATI HD4870 (1 GB), which is overclocked to 775 MHz (from possible 790 MHZ).

Make sure, that your AV + Firewall are set to "Gaming Mode" - so they don't update

or control other programs, while you are in "full-screen-mode" (game/sim).

Edited by Olham

Thank you guys for some good tips, I have just had 90 minuets in a mission flying for J15 June 1918 what a mission had no problems at all.

I checked my temp after exiting the game CPU 25c motherboard 33c so im leaving well alone and see how it go's.

I could not complete the mission for the time but 90 min and I did warp some of the way or I could have been here for sevral hours but what a sim.

Thanks.