Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ranger332

Bad day for am F-15 crew

HOLY MACKERAL! I hope they made it... :shock: :cry:

heres a reply from the forum in the link under pic:

"My girlfriend translated it for me and I thought I would post a couple of extra details.

It says that the left gear didn't extend fully on approach. On touchdown the tire blew out and the plane went to the left off of the runway and all of the gears broke. When the front gear broke it caused the cockpit to break loose. (This part we had a hard time figuring out. It mentions something about the 'blue shield' hanging cockpit being lost in the intake. She thought blue shield refered to a name brand or maker of the item that was lost). The right wing leading edge then plowed into the ground creating the ditch you see in the pictures. This caused an auxilary fuel tank to twist and begin leaking but no fire began. The rear seat WSO was impacted hard by ground terrain and suffered a broken right shoulder. The pilot was only bruised and exited the plane right after it stopped.

That is a rough translation of the major points. Hope it helps! "

Damn! Really glad they made it because at first it was pretty disturbing seeing their helmets just laying next to the fuselage. Whew! :shock:

Sounds like the thread should be titled "lucky day for the F15 crew...bad day for the plane" Glad they made it out.....life is dangerous, nobody gets out alive.

Notice they were quick to cover the radar antenna with a trash bag, probably for security reasons.

Believe it or not , much of that aircraft can be salvaged for use as replacement parts. So its not a total loss.

Why they didnt punch out when it started to go off the runway is a mystery to me, but like any pilot the first thing you think of doing is trying to save the plane. Everything probably happened so fast anyway.

I'm glad those guys are ok, sounds like a hairy situation, but hey they walked away from it so it was a good landing right? lol ;)

Man what a mess. Thank God they got out. I bet the crew chief is not a happy man today.

Thank God there was no post accident fire. These pilots were truely being watched out for.

That has to be a F-15 E , and it's a shame .... You'll never hear bout those kind of touchdowns :roll:

I worked on F-15 C& D 's Kadena AB , for 3 1/2 long years ,watched 2 SR-71's take off every day . With a handload of 14 c-141's taking care of there stuff :lol: This was a different time ! these F-15's were bran new . 1980 . And it was a great time time to work on the USAF airfields . Funny .. But what a terrible site to see (pictures) hope they got out all right !! We were the badass's of the Picific ( 98 new F-15 C&D) 1980 .

everone forgets how old these A/C are .. I had the delight before these of workinging on the F-111 D (Clovis NM ) Cannon AFB , And before the F-15's I worked on W/ W F-4C 's shrike :?

Guest Ranger332

good copy on what you posted fates :angel: