Sign in to follow this  
firehawk66

bombing with the f-111

Hi guys,

I have the NATO fighters add-on and thought I'd have a go at some ground pounding with the F-111 since I don't normally fly it.

The problem is that the HUD only shows a gunsight reticle and there is no CCRP or CCIP for delivering munitions, so I had to come down from about 15k to try and aim visually with very poor results.

Apart from my obvious need to practice visual bombing, is there something I need to do to use the F-111 as it was intended?

Thank you

you mean you dive from 15000 feet? Kind of wrong. Not that a shallow dive wouldn´t work, but that´s for attackers like the A-4, A-7, Mirages, etc... not for bombers. You gotta get in at tree top level and drop the snakeyes as you fly over the target. Try coming in at 200ft, and pull up when you drop the ordnance, to prevent being damage by your own bombs hitting the ground or any secondaries. Flying in this profile also helps you with SAMs, and if you fly fast enough, guns will have trouble getting you.

adding the F-111 to any campaign makes it way to easy. It's like using an F-15 for the original Cold War Gone Hot 1979 campaign, only for ground attack. I would load her with about 12 750lbs, then fly out and bomb 3-4 enemy runways per mission. Like I said, it was way too easy.

Low level and Snakeyes is where its at... go with 24 500lb snakeyes and stay around 200ft and fast as in max military (No afterburn) and you should be okay pop flares on your target run though in case SA-13's are in the area... using the bombsight works perfect for me down there...

Low level and Snakeyes is where its at... go with 24 500lb snakeyes and stay around 200ft and fast as in max military (No afterburn) and you should be okay pop flares on your target run though in case SA-13's are in the area

I've never done a campaign in the F-111, but this makes it sound like a lot of fun :yikes:

I think I'll have to give it a go.

for anti airfield i take the Vaark and scream right down the runway like im in the pattern but at 250ft, and let loose with a string of snake eye. i usually also like to be bold and carry some cbu's and cycle back 4-5 miles from the airfield and dump on th tarmac incase its populated. nothing like 4-5 aircraft destroyed with no Winders expended! :grin: for industrial, or oil field targets i try to use the F model and put GBU-10s to work. but hey i prefer flyin late 70s thru the 80s anyhow.

• Like 1

can't we install some sort of Redneck CCIP in the Vark and other bombers?

I mean they used radar bombing which SF2 doesn't support but the notorious red target box in connection with a CCIP floating sight can pretty much simulate this.

I've never done a campaign in the F-111, but this makes it sound like a lot of fun :yikes:

I think I'll have to give it a go.

The F-111 is great fun alround... lots of fuel to run from everything and if you drive an F you get some laserguided stuff to help out... but it is primarily low level with dumb bombs... fast and low... and 2 winders to cause problems for the fighters just in case of course...

700ft off the deck, 600 to 700 KTS, use all snakes eyes and when the target is at the BOTTOM of the gun sight, release ALL the bombs and you will never miss. We been doing this procedure since 2005 and it works well.

Thanks guys,

Macelena I didn't dive bomb from that height, the mission started airborne at that height and so without a bomb sight I then dove to the deck to bomb.

I just thought that the F-111 would of had some sort of CCIP since bombing is this aircraft's bread and butter, and of course other add on aircraft do have CCIP working. From now on though I will adopt the method I use whilst flying the GR1 Tornado and that is below treetop height till near the target area where I will pop up to say hello and then drop a string of Snake eyes.:yes:

Edited by firehawk66

First off, go to the range and practice some to get your timing right concerning weapons release. My usual style with the F-111 is to take off and go high to conserve fuel while flying the most roundabout way possible to the enemy backyard. Then you drop down to the deck and away you go. IP is usually about 20-25 miles out. Once weapons are selected you are comitted, full power all the way until about 5-10 miles from the target (It depends) pull up hard to about 1000ft

Any radars tracking you, activate ECM and pump some chaff. Right at bombs away it's not unusual to get SAM activity so return quickly to the deck, pumping chaff and flares as you do and also go full burners to get out of the area.

• Like 1