Sign in to follow this  
WhiteBoySamurai

DDG-173 Kongo class Aegis destroyer

DDG-173 Kongo class Aegis destroyer

View File

This model represents the Kongo class destroyers (DDG-173~DDG-176), in service with the JMSDF from 1993 to present. They are based on the Arleigh Burke class, with a significantly longer hull, higher superstructure, and indigenous Japanese systems. The Kongo and successor Atago (coming soon to SF2) are the most advanced and powerful warships in Asia and among the largest destroyers in the world.

This model has been almost completely rebuilt and retextured compared to my previous version (3.7), and like the real thing she can now lead JMSDF task groups comprised of the Takanami, Murasame, Asagiri, and Hatsuyuki. As with my other vessels, I have included authentic name and hull number decals for each ship of the class, plus the necessary sounds, guns, and weapons. See the readme file for full details.

An experimental data file is included, labelled "DDG-173_EX.ini" (The "EX" stands for "experimental" as well as "extremely dangerous.") This sacrifices the cool-looking vertical launch for a significantly more accurate multi-target system that better reflects the actual performance of an Aegis destroyer. Use whichever you prefer, depending on if realistic visuals or realistic performance is more important to you. An optional assisted takeoff mode for helicopters is also included on the flight deck.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or constructive criticisms regarding this model, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you!

I've just uploaded a SF2:NA update for this vessel. In addition to some visual enhancements, there's an optional version of the ship data with true Aegis-like multi-target capability, though it's not a "true" vertical launch system. Thanks to colmack for making the discovery. All my other Aegis ships (and probably the Kirov too) will receive similar alternate data.ini for those who wish to use them.

Hi WhiteBoySamurai

About that alternative data.in. :yikes:

Yes some of the visual vertical launch is lost, but the ship is just an awesome weapon.

I had a simple test mission, two flights of Su-24 attacking one Kongou, my plane flies on auto pilot all the way. With the normal data file which uses the weapon system, I got close enough for my second flight to attack with dumb bombs and get one hit. All planes returning to base. With the data file using the gunner system all four planes shot down before 8 miles to target.

For me the gunner system is the way to go, hope you do the type 23 as well.

A big thank you for bringing us these brilliant ships.:good:

Cheers

Snapper 21

Just tested the experimental data ini and it is lethal. I think that you caught onto the an idea that occurred to me as well. Am I right in thinking that you created untextured, and therefor invisible, single arm missile launchers above the fore and aft VLS?

I look forward to seeing this applied to your other ships.

For me the gunner system is the way to go, hope you do the type 23 as well.

Glad you like it! Unfortunately I'll only be able to do this sort of thing for my own ships, not the Type 23 or other peoples' VLS ships. It requires a pivot node within the model for the gunner to use.

Just tested the experimental data ini and it is lethal. I think that you caught onto the an idea that occurred to me as well. Am I right in thinking that you created untextured, and therefor invisible, single arm missile launchers above the fore and aft VLS?

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I did. Specifically, I made one fake launcher per 32-cell VLS, so the DDGs have 3, and Tico refit will have four of them.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I did. Specifically, I made one fake launcher per 32-cell VLS, so the DDGs have 3, and Tico refit will have four of them.

I noticed that in the Data.ini file. I have already modified the "CG-52 CG-52_DATA experimental1" of your "Ticonderoga class cruiser (86)" in accordance with how you set up the "DDG-177_DATA_EX" file and it worked perfectly. I will have to wait for you to update your Arleigh Burke-class as according to the OUT file it does not have the necessary pivots.

On another note please take a look at the CWIS thread I will be posting a over in the Mods & Skinning Descussions forum. It might be of interest to you.

I'll be updating the Burkes and the CG-52 (actually the entire Ticonderoga class, even flights that I haven't released yet) with the new data, plus a few new goodies, so please bear with me. I'll keep an eye out for your CIWS thread, thanks.

These have all been some really awesome work!

:good:

I just uploaded a new version with significant visual improvements as well as new weapon systems (anti-ship missiles). Enjoy!

• Like 1

New version uploaded with various overall improvements.

Unless there are some emergency fixes needed, this is the last updated I'll be doing for my Aegis ships for a long while. Thank you for downloading!

• Like 1

I finally got my hands on the official JMSDF fonts, so I've updated the decals on this ship. Instead of re-downloading the whole thing again, you can just grab the archive below.

DDG-173 decals.rar

post-33721-0-05942500-1368285655_thumb.jpg

post-33721-0-75080200-1368285656_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ok, thats WAY cool!!

Great Work mate, i need update my Modern Warfare Korea instalation with this ship........time to work :good: :good:

The rebuilt Kongo is now up. To quote Hattori Hanzo from Kill Bill, "I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword ship."

As this is a complete overhaul, I recommend deleting the DDG-173 folder from your ground objects before installing the new versions.

Super! Thanks a lot!!!