Sign in to follow this  
liamp51

Vietnam FPSs

Hi all,

I LOVE Far Cry 2, Red Orchestra, and a few other First Person Shooters, but what really want is a good "modern" Vietnam War FPS. The only ones out there seem to be from the 90's or very early 2000's and most of them seem to be really crappy. Does anybody know of any good "modern" Vietnam FPSs?

Thanks!

liamp51

Of the olden shooters the original Vietcong is fun. Most of the time you have no clue where the attack is coming from and hope to spot muzzle flashes in the bushes. The tunnel rat mission was hell. The graphics weren't amazing even at the release date, though.

Of the modern games there is the ad-don Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam, which is multiplayer only, IIRC.

Yeah, Vietcong was the best, hands down. Sweet co-op, lots of great features and atmosphere. The best of what's left these days is prolly Battlefield BC2 Vietnam. Plays a lot like contemporary shooters but with a nice Vietnam era feel.

Both Vietcong (the first one, VC2 is crap) and the BC2 DLC is gold. Theese should be tested.

Hi all,

I LOVE Far Cry 2, Red Orchestra, and a few other First Person Shooters, but what really want is a good "modern" Vietnam War FPS. The only ones out there seem to be from the 90's or very early 2000's and most of them seem to be really crappy. Does anybody know of any good "modern" Vietnam FPSs?

Thanks!

liamp51

Black ops... it's mostly set in Vietnam but also jumps around to other theaters like Cuba- bay of pigs it's a lot of fun

Black Ops ruins it by having most of the weapons being "prototypes" of modern ones. Few weapons - aside from the iconic ones - are actually from the era.

This list pretty much sums it all up: http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Black_Ops

Edited by JonathanRL

What we could have really done with, is a call of duty Vietnam...Ideally as an addon to COD World at War...which was already half way there

What we could have really done with, is a call of duty Vietnam...Ideally as an addon to COD World at War...which was already half way there

I kinda liked World at War Pacific missions, I like BFBC2 very much (but didn't bother to buy the DLC as I'm spingle player guy) so I'd love to see stand alone Vietnam in one of these.

Vietcong (and the expansion pack to it, VC2 sucks) are stil the best around for me, have that specific feel to them, nice gore sometimes, good weapons and run without problems on modern hardware.

Or, ARMA2 addon/expansion could be fun too

I gave up not finishing the first mission (the Mayor's residence? one)

VC2 had huge memory leaks, it would either crash or run poorly on very high end and then crash etc...

there were few budget titles I own set in Vietnam, "Line of Sight:Vietnam", and "Elite Warriors:Vietnam" -the latter more squad oriented, kinda reminded me of ancient Lost Patrol (Amiga 500 times!) or Sabre Team.

Both used modified "Deadly Dozen 2" engine, to my own suprise I DID have had fun times playing these :blink:

Shellshock Nam 67!!!!

I've played Men of Valor and was funny too!!!

I remember Battlefield Vietnam...

But BFBC2 Nam and Vietcong are No1!

Blimey Stary...I'd forgotten about those!

ahh Men of Valor -I was soo disappointed by it, must be I got that as a DVD to one magazine or something shortly after completing Vietcong expansion which was the best so far IMO

so... we agree that full single player title on BFBC2 engine would do it?:grin:

and no, I don't need Dx11 uber graphics, I want kick ass bloody gameplay :minigun:

Darn I totally forgot about LOS, but that one never really got to me...

One problem with a Vietnam FPS is I don't think you could really do it better than VC1. Sure you could give it better graphics, but that's about it. The sound, atmosphere, story, and levels presented pretty much covered it all at the best level imaginable. Anything else would be, well, VC2 without bugs at best! :grin:

I mean, every other conflict pretty much had multiple terrain types and missions. Nam is jungle fighting, tunnel crawling, and what, hilltop defense?

You play the best WWII ones like Hidden and Dangerous or even the early MOH and CoD titles (pre consolizing) and there's just so much to cover between the 3 continents and island hopping.

oh, Hidden and Dangerous 2 -style ops in Nam setting, tasty would be (remember those bloody H&D2 jungle missions?)

Crysis engine would do, also Chrome engine (4?) renders nice jungles as seen in Ghost Warrior

oh, nostalgia struck me: Platoon on C-64, those tunnel levels...

anyone played Tunnel Rats (the one based on F**k y** Uwe Boll's Tunnel Rats movie)? Also there's Shellshock continuation, but I think it's more of zombies or deadly virus infestation kind of FPS

I actually have HD2 installed and play it from time to time. Always loved the winter missions :grin:

those on the beginning, loved them too! But the part when you had to cross the snow covered swamp following the guiding resistance guy was killing me -later, in the German base, De Lisle was a killer :grin:

those on the beginning, loved them too! But the part when you had to cross the snow covered swamp following the guiding resistance guy was killing me -later, in the German base, De Lisle was a killer :grin:

oh yeah. hehe. Man i love that game. I heard they were working on a third. I sure hope they do!

There's also a very NAM-ish Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. Good deal of it takes place in the jungle, with sudden ambushes and snipers in the treetops.

Then the game sucks all the fun out of itself by throwing you into a crappy "flight sim" section.

The H&D format would really suit the 'nam setting, using Green Berets or Seals.

I was thinking about it Julhelm, that would do, with the Stoners and all

MOH:Pacific sucked for me, except for the Tarawa beachhead missions, World at War had much better level design IMO