i have on some Terrain the problem that in the distance this ring appears , it only happens with converted SF1 terrains like the Ranch etc. is there a way to get rid of it ???? :dntknw:

all of this terrain have the data.ini edited to the SF2 standard and if there is a mountain/terrain-surface with a certain hight the ring disappear´s under it

Edited by ravenclaw_007

happens when certain tiles use tile-specific heightmap files (eg. Desert1_HM.bmp) to create additional height detail, fix is simple:

in your terrain's _data.ini:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-100

WaterMesh=0.8

experiment with this negative value, it moves the far terrain BELOW the closer one, thus visually eliminating the gap :good:

Volker, moving it too much creates visible ring over water so it's worth experimenting with, the value is in feet or meters but I'm not sure :good:

meters, iirc (like everything else 3W!!)

I cheated when I fixed mine .. just removed the _HM statements in the terrain's data ini. IMO, I just felt it didn't add anything to the terrain. (OTH, they look good on Stary's VNSEA!!)

Volker, please let us know when you´ve fixed it!!! :drinks:

yap , it works perfect with the value from Stary no more problems , thanks for it Stary :good::drinks:

IIRC my Israel and Taiwan repaints have them too so one would need to adjust data, especialy for israel the heightmaps were created to exactly match the displaced tile textures for mountain areas

edit:

Wrench's right (...again...) it must be meters as everything TW from fake ECM diameters to eee... heightmap displacement :grin:

Edited by Stary

one problem is still there , if you fire a weapon or drop a bomb somewhere on the therrain the weapon explode under the surface in some cases you dont even have a smoke only on the target-aera the weapon work correct :blink:

this also happens on other terrains mostly the same who have the "ring-problem"

It's a known issue when using the HM files, sometimes the engine doesn't calculate the heighmaps properly sometimes it does :bad: