Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

FXAA - fast approximate anti aliasing for Nvidia GPUs

As above. FXAA has been created by Nvidia engineers, but hasn't been implemented in the forceware drivers (yet). In a way it's similar to ATI's MLAA you can force in the Catalyst Control Center. It didn't prevent some_dude from www.3dcenter.org from creating injectable dll libraries to enable this form of AA in a number of DX9/10/OpenGL games. Much like the ENB series of .dlls.

Original forum thread:

http://www.forum-3dc...ad.php?t=510658

Where to get the latest revision (Rev 26):

http://www.assembla....ject/documents#

Why should I even bother to try it? Well, FXAA solution is supposed to give users the benefit of a good quality AA at a fraction of the performance cost of the MSAA. So if you haven't been able to enjoy AA in SF2 (or any other game) because it slowed your desktop/laptop down to a crawl - give it a try!

How to use it with SF2 games:

1. Download the latest revision and unpack it in a safe location.

2. Make sure that AA is turned off BOTH in Nvidia control panel and in Options.ini (AntiAliasing=1)

3. Copy ALL the files AND folders from the either DirectX9 OR DirectX10 folders (depends on whether you run SF2 in DX9 or DX10 mode) to BOTH locations:

- where SF2 executable files are (usually c:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\)

- FLIGHT folder in your MOD folder (usually c:\Users\User_Name\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Flight\)

4. Keyboard "Pause" (NOT ALT+P) toggles effect on/off

All kudos goes to original creator. I only wrote this wall of text.

Works only with NVIDIA GPUs (probably, maybe?).

Read the original readme provided with the files!

By default sepia and tonemap filter are applied (among others). These can be edited/commented out in the injFX_Settings.h file.

I was too lazy to take and post screenshots so do it for me ;P

Did I mention these files can be used with other games too?

Enjoy!

Edited by SFP1Ace

that is interesting, thanks SFP1Ace!

According to another website thread that I read several weeks ago, it said that this worked on ATI cards too. Sounds like I will try it with my ATI cards to see if it does work.

Edited by Panama Red

According to another website thread that I read several weeks ago, it said that this worked on ATI cards too. Sounds like I will try it with my ATI cards to see if it does work.

Let us know how that works out

Edited by PureBlue

I can only attest that it works with my Geforce 460 GTX. So yeah, let's hear it from ATI users. :good:

Edit: ok, time for some skrinszots:

FXAA OFF:

post-25041-0-97306600-1313613309.jpg

FXAA ON:

post-25041-0-41800400-1313613331.jpg

Edited by SFP1Ace

Impressive,

But for me, technical nobrainer with Engilsh as a second language;

If I have Win7 Ultimate on a Quadcore PC with a NVidia GTX460,

do I still need this if I think performance is nice already????

Cheers mates!

I don't think you'll notice much of a performance boost, with GTX 460 being already quite a powerful card as it is. You can try it though, running Fraps in the background to get some comparison. Heck, I might even do it and post the results later!

Edit: Ok, tested with FRAPS, I'm getting more or less the same FPS whether it's on/off, AA or FXAA doesn't matter. I guess GTX 460 is too powerful to be dragged down by AA in SF2 or I'm still CPU botlenecked. So like I assumed in the first post, these files might be useful for owners of weaker/older/low end graphic cards who still want to enjoy some form of AA.

Owners of a mid- or highend GPUs can safely stay with default AA, unless they want to fiddle with other features these .dll provides (sharpening, sepia, tonemap filters).

Edit2: Another theory is that since FXAA requires less computational power than regular AA, GPU won't heat up as much. Might be useful for laptop owners (even if it doesn't provide more FPS)! To be tested...

Edited by SFP1Ace

Thanks for the advice!

I do not notice significant change, but my system is pretty buffed!

Muesli