Sign in to follow this  
Lord Berners

CFS 3 and OFF won't run

Hello all,

I have a rather strange problem and I hope you might be able to help.

I had a fresh install on CFS 3.1 on my comp, running Vista, ready and waiting for OFF to arrive. OFF arrived and I installed it as per the instuctions and ended up getting the "pilot saying 'clear' and then the game hanging" problem as outlined on the FAQ. As per the FAQ I downloaded and installed the Direct X files. This did not solve the problem.

I decided to do a complete uninstall and re-install of CFS 3 and OFF. I did this by using the uninstall .exes for both games as well as deleting all the files they left behind (in user/documents and user/appdata/local etc. etc.). I did a complete re-install of CFS 3 (including browsing the disc and running the setup file as an admin) and now it won't run at all! Every time I click on the icon (set to WinXP SP2 compatability mode and to run as an admin) I can hear the cd spin up, the comp load for a bit and then...nothing. If I open Task Manager, I notice that cfs3.exe and ~f2d055.tmp are running under "Processes" but nothing is open under applications. Obviously, with CFS3 not working, if I instal OFF over the top of it, I still just get the "clear...hang" as CFS 3 can't load.

I've tried updating graphics drivers and even a system restore and nothing has worked. As I said, CFS3 has run fine on this computer before.

Any ideas what to do? I'm very eager to try OFF.

Cheers

Starting with CFS3.1: did you run and setup "cfsconfig" file ?

plug_nickel

Starting with CFS3.1: did you run and setup "cfsconfig" file ?

plug_nickel

Yes, I did...still no help. cfsconfig seems to run fine. I don't even get a splash screen coming up.

Try this. Put CFS3 Disc 1 in the drive and run it from there. Don't use the icon shortcut. IF CFS3 doesn't initialize or just spins up, run it directly through Windows Explorer.

Using Setup, disc 1 should then start up with screen showing Play (light back ground) and Uninstall, Web and Reg (darker back grounds). See if you can start CFS3 using PLAY.

IF it starts, just "fly" a few minutes. Don't adjust anything.

plug_nickel

Tried that but still no luck. CD spins up but clicking "play" has no effect. What gets me is that the game ran perfectly fine before.

IF you're using a A.V. program, I'm wondering if a .dll file has corrupted or if the A.V. program is "killing" CFS3 ? Try disabling your A.V.

plug_nickel

Hello all,

I have a rather strange problem and I hope you might be able to help.

I had a fresh install on CFS 3.1 on my comp, running Vista, ready and waiting for OFF to arrive. OFF arrived and I installed it as per the instuctions and ended up getting the "pilot saying 'clear' and then the game hanging" problem as outlined on the FAQ. As per the FAQ I downloaded and installed the Direct X files. This did not solve the problem.

I decided to do a complete uninstall and re-install of CFS 3 and OFF. I did this by using the uninstall .exes for both games as well as deleting all the files they left behind (in user/documents and user/appdata/local etc. etc.). I did a complete re-install of CFS 3 (including browsing the disc and running the setup file as an admin) and now it won't run at all! Every time I click on the icon (set to WinXP SP2 compatability mode and to run as an admin) I can hear the cd spin up, the comp load for a bit and then...nothing. If I open Task Manager, I notice that cfs3.exe and ~f2d055.tmp are running under "Processes" but nothing is open under applications. Obviously, with CFS3 not working, if I instal OFF over the top of it, I still just get the "clear...hang" as CFS 3 can't load.

I've tried updating graphics drivers and even a system restore and nothing has worked. As I said, CFS3 has run fine on this computer before.

Any ideas what to do? I'm very eager to try OFF.

Cheers

You mentioned installing CFS3 in Admin mode...good. But did you also set the CFS3 installer - 'Setup.exe' on the first CD probably, you know, the one you ran in Admin mode - to XP compatibility mode first, by right clicking and selecting 'Properties'/Compatibility, before selecting 'Run as administrator'? With Vista putting the CFS3 files that don't go into Program Files into a different folder from the one XP uses, that might be the prob. You mention deleting files from just these Vista folders so maybe that's not it at all. OFF hanging at the point you describe seems a pretty sure sign that it was a duff CFS3 install the first time too, whatever the cause. Shouldn't be too hard to get CFS3 installed & working in vista, I'm on Vista 64, no probs.