Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Red bomber rear gunners

I have been doing a bunch of intercept missions and I am learning a health respect for the gunners on both Soviet bombers and B-52s. More than once I have either gone home perforated or just been plain blown out of the sky. I know you shouldn't make stern attacks, but if you have a MiG15 or -17 and your intercept vector is all wrong, it's a long stern chase just to catch a flight of B-52s!

I was always a bit dismissive of gunners on modern bombers, but no longer! Cheers, guys! Keep up the good work. :drinks:

Dedicated to those who underestimated the IL-28 and its rear gunner operated cannons

Dedicated to those who underestimated the IL-28 and its rear gunner operated cannons

+1

IIRC, during Vietnam more MiGs were killed by B-52s than B-52s were killed by MiGs.

During my war experience in Wings Over Israel, the only thing I found harder thatn an IL-28 are the SAM launchers when youre flying down

:blush: OK, I know this is cheating, but I changed the IL-28's rear gun from having twin 23mm NR23s to having two 14.5mm KPVs.

Makes my job that little bit easier, but not too easy, mind you

In the game the range of the tailguns is often more than double that of the normal range of the fighter guns :blink: . Readjusted that..........

Nope. Is pure physics at play. If you chase a bomber from its 6 O' clock position you have your speed + speed of the bullet - speed of the bomber. Instead the bomber have all the advantage since the attackin fighter is coming towards the bullets fired. And so the gunner can engage at longer distance.

Edited by Spillone104

Nope. Is pure physics at play. If you chase a bomber from its 6 O' clock position you have your speed + speed of the bullet - speed of the bomber. Instead the bomber have all the advantage since the attackin fighter is coming towards the bullets fired. And so the gunner can engage at longer distance.

Interesting, have to think that over because your speed is added to the speed of your bullet which I think should in its turn increase the range of your guns..Another thing is air resistance which is of course heavier for the "attacking" bullits. Will talk it over next saturday, going to a meeting with a lot of old pilots at the Dutch Historic Flight at Gilze Rijen AB, there is bound to be someone there who flew gun armed Hunters and Sabres in the intercept role in the Cold War days,

Edited by Derk